Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo to HKG - 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Tokyo to HKG - 12/31

Can somebody please help me confirm if avios redemption for business in Tokyo to Hongkong for 12/31 for 4 people is really 70K/person or am I missing a trick for a better option?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
It shouldn't be. A direct flight in business would be 20,000 plus a few quid. Having a look at availability on the 31st December there is only availability on a non direct flight through SHA on JAL, connecting to Cathay Dragon to HKG. This is two separate airlines so will price using the Multi airline avios chart which for flights like this is terrible value. Unfortunately the flights you are looking at, it is correct.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It looks like BAEC has this down as 1825 miles so it should be in band 3 for avios redemption and should cost 20,000 avios each way per person in J, or 40,000 in F.

Just did a dummy booking and CX NRT-HKG in J priced at 20,000 avios and £25.70 per person.

Not sure how you would get to 70,000 avios for 4?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
It looks like BAEC has this down as 1825 miles so it should be in band 3 for avios redemption and should cost 20,000 avios each way per person in J, or 40,000 in F.

Just did a dummy booking and CX NRT-HKG in J priced at 20,000 avios and £25.70 per person.

Not sure how you would get to 70,000 avios for 4?
i don't see any direct flights on BA.com. the only result I get is to Shanghai on JAL and Shanghai to hkg on CX with 70K/person
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stivelio
i don't see any direct flights on BA.com. the only result I get is to Shanghai on JAL and Shanghai to hkg on CX with 70K/person
Perhaps no reward availability on the specific date you are looking at, but there certainly are direct flights and there certainly is reward availability on some dates.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Perhaps no reward availability on the specific date you are looking at, but there certainly are direct flights and there certainly is reward availability on some dates.
probably not the right forum to ask but is there any other possible airline miles redemption that makes​ more sense here?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:11 am

Because that itinerary is on two partners, it's priced under the multi-carrier reward chart so 70k is correct in J: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

As KARFA points out, if you can find availability on the direct flights (JAL or CX) then it will be only 20k in J.

Alternatively, indirect routings but sticking to one carrier (e.g. CX TYO-TPE-HKG) will be the sum of the individual sectors, so again much cheaper than the multi-carrier price.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Because that itinerary is on two partners, it's priced under the multi-carrier reward chart so 70k is correct in J: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

As KARFA points out, if you can find availability on the direct flights (JAL or CX) then it will be only 20k in J.

Alternatively, indirect routings but sticking to one carrier (e.g. CX TYO-TPE-HKG) will be the sum of the individual sectors, so again much cheaper than the multi-carrier price.
thanks. So will l need to search as 2 separate flights?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
probably not the right forum to ask but is there any other possible airline miles redemption that makes​ more sense here?
It's likely that there won't be much award availability on and around 12/31. I'd probably look at revenue tickets as well. ET sells the TYO-HKG oneway in C for ~780USD.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's likely that there won't be much award availability on and around 12/31. I'd probably look at revenue tickets as well. ET sells the TYO-HKG oneway in C for ~780USD.
It's interesting that I didn't get ET in Google search results but do see it on amex portal and it might actually work well for me

Last edited by Stivelio; Jun 19, 2017 at 4:19 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Do you have status?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Do you have status?
No
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd go nonstop in that case, less faffing around. The Tokyo lounges are very nice, and crew/ground staff are extremely friendly to cardholders - especially CX - but without status I'd just go nonstop.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
CX release Avios redemption availability late

I don't know this route. And I don't know the availability prospects over the end of the western calendar year.

But I do regularly use CX with Avios successfully over this period in Asia.

1. availability usually gets released very late - you need skill using the likes of expertflyer to predict availability.

2. availability is usually in J/F or W. Y class rarely appears other than on flights very early in the day.

Expertflyer or equivalent and hold your breath. Otherwise pay your money. Chances of J/F being available - eventually - has to be high?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I tend to agree.

I have flow HKG to Japan non stop in CX J.

The issue is not that the flights don't exist it's that you're asking for availability on a peak travel period.

Good luck in findig the seats - even Y.

You might want to consider low cost options like Peach Aviation / HK Express to get you over there ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.