Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo to HKG - 12/31

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
TYO-HKG will price 10k in Y or 20k in J as long as it's direct. Otherwise it will price on the multi-carrier chart at 70k in J. If your only option is via Shanghai on 2 different carriers, you'd have to piece and merge the PNR which will price at 15k for Y and 30k for J. This will likely result in slightly higher taxes, but I believe you could technically fight it and get it refunded.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
TYO-HKG will price 10k in Y or 20k in J as long as it's direct. Otherwise it will price on the multi-carrier chart at 70k in J. If your only option is via Shanghai on 2 different carriers, you'd have to piece and merge the PNR which will price at 15k for Y and 30k for J. This will likely result in slightly higher taxes, but I believe you could technically fight it and get it refunded.
Welcome to FT TalkingPoint.

Just to note that if you decide to buy two separate tickets for TYO to PVG and PVG to HKG in order to avoid the multi-partner pricing you can't merge those to bookings whatsoever and must accept the lack of protection if you do misconnect and/or possible issues checking through bags on to a separate ticket. Also it is important to understand the transit visa requirements for the country you are connecting in, if any. Some countries do require certain passengers to have some kind of transit visa/approval.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT TalkingPoint.

Just to note that if you decide to buy two separate tickets for TYO to PVG and PVG to HKG in order to avoid the multi-partner pricing you can't merge those to bookings whatsoever and must accept the lack of protection if you do misconnect and/or possible issues checking through bags on to a separate ticket. Also it is important to understand the transit visa requirements for the country you are connecting in, if any. Some countries do require certain passengers to have some kind of transit visa/approval.
I just checked and it's JL/KA/CX. You can merge an KA/CX. But even pairing with CX/KA is fine. The carriers are both OW and have an interline agreement. Additionally, Shanghai has 144 hour visa free travel when you are transiting through only one Chinese city. In this case, HKG functions as a third region so a visa is not required as long as you're from one of the 50+ eligible countries.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:53 am

I just checked and it's JL/KA/CX. You can merge an KA/CX. But even pairing with CX/KA is fine. The carriers are both OW and have an interline agreement. Additionally, Shanghai has 144 hour visa free travel when you are transiting through only one Chinese city. In this case, HKG functions as a third region so a visa is not required as long as you're from one of the 50+ eligible countries.
The ticket is with BA though. You can't merge bookings with BA.

EDIT: just to note it appears CX do not merge bookings either according to this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-bookings.html

Having an interline agreement does not mean they will check bags through. This needs to be checked with whatever airline you are first on as they will be the ones agreeing or not agreeing to check through.

TWOV is not available to all though. My point was that generally one should not assume you can transit without a visa and should check before booking.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:10 am

EDIT: just to note it appears CX do not merge bookings either according to this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-bookings.html

Having an interline agreement does not mean they will check bags through. This needs to be checked with whatever airline you are first on as they will be the ones agreeing or not agreeing to check through.

TWOV is not available to all though. My point was that generally one should not assume you can transit without a visa and should check before booking.
The link you shared is about linking two passengers together so that in the case of IRROPS they should be accommodated together. This is about merging segments for one pax. I'm less familiar with the process through BA but if you're concerned you could book with Asia Miles at the same 30k rate all on one PNR. I don't believe it would be an issue, however. And yes, OP should definitely make sure he qualifies for 144hr TWOV. I would hope they would do that even without a reminder.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:18 am

The link you shared is about linking two passengers together so that in the case of IRROPS they should be accommodated together. This is about merging segments for one pax. I'm less familiar with the process through BA but if you're concerned you could book with Asia Miles at the same 30k rate all on one PNR. I don't believe it would be an issue, however.
The linked thread addresses the question of merging two separate bookings. This is exactly the situation here, two separate (reward) bookings each under a separate ticket, and whether they could be merged.

would like to know whether it's possible to merge the two bookings together such that I can easily select seats together?
Can't be merged.
Can split but can't merge.
As said by other poster, you can link but you cannot merge.
Have you got some source to suggest CX will merge two bookings if there are two separate CX bookings? In this case it would be a booking on CX and a booking on JL too.

I don't believe it would be an issue, however. And yes, OP should definitely make sure he qualifies for 144hr TWOV. I would hope they would do that even without a reminder.
You would be surpised how often people forget - it is often not obvious.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:18 am

Alternatively, a direct flight is likely to open up close-in, I wouldn't recommend that route but it's another option as well. The difficulty is that BA blocks alot of seats less than 6-7 days out. I have been successful last christmas around the same date with calling in to BAEC and getting them to book it even though it was blocked from online search, but I've seen DPs here that claim the opposite so you may not want to count on it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:21 am

Alternatively, a direct flight is likely to open up close-in, I wouldn't recommend that route but it's another option as well. The difficulty is that BA blocks alot of seats less than 6-7 days out. I have been successful last christmas around the same date with calling in to BAEC and getting them to book it even though it was blocked from online search, but I've seen DPs here that claim the opposite so you may not want to count on it.
On the reward booking there is more information here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...parture-8.html
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:33 am

On the reward booking there is more information here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...parture-8.html
Wow I'm glad that thread exists. I was able to book HKG-TPE over the phone on Jan 8 for Jan 9 even though online had blocked it. I also was able to book HKG-PEK two weeks prior to that only 2 days in advance. I'll have to read more data points from in that thread but in my experience calling BAEC was able to bypass any block.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.