Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries North - Etiquette/Foul language

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:01 pm

I would have done exactly the same and would not put up with such disgusting behaviour.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ziz
I think your actions were entirely appropriate but I do want to point out that saying that 'ladies' can't hear foul language is sexist in this day and age.
Absolutely agree here. That there were children around was relevant. That there were ladies around was not. In any case, you did the right thing OP.

I had a slightly tamer version of this yesterday at FRA where I - a very casually dressed young guy in shorts - told a very smartly dressed older man that he should use headphones to watch the sport news on his iPad, not broadcast it out loud to the rest of us. He was clearly rather surprised at my impertinence, but he quickly corrected his behaviour.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Well done and I believe you showed great restraint. Had he referred to me as a P**** I would have been tempted to stick his skateboard where the sun doesn't shine.
A cautionary tale.

Almost exactly 2 years ago today, my cousin (a mild-mannered 5'10 40-something solicitor with a lovely wife, 3 children and a successful law practice) intervened when a young woman was being harassed by a drunken yob on a train from Blackpool to Preston.

The details are too tedious to relate but it ended with him punching the yob to the floor. Police attended and arrested all involved. My cousin was subsequently charged with ABH. During initial enquiries, the police quickly established (from witness statements and partial mobile footage) that my cousin had a solid defence in law. However the CPS nonetheless took it to trial.

From the day of being charged, to the end of the trial, a period of some 10 & a half months, his firm put him on gardening leave. He was paid his basic salary but not allowed to work on any cases, thus missing out on almost a year's experience, overtime and bonuses. It was a horrible period for him and his family.

In the event he was cleared of any wrongdoing and walked free without a stain on his character. But it left his faith in the system severely shaken and almost cost him his marrriage.

So, if you have anything to lose - PULL THAT PUNCH !!! Let the staff sort it out. Punching an idiot's lights out may seem primally satisfying, but as a respectable person it's likely to hurt you a lot more than it hurts them
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
Well done PallionPete and the CS agents.
Unfortunately it's not just skater types. In GF I asked a businessman if he could lower the volume and quantum of F words in his mobile phone conversation as I was there with my wife and daughter. He told me to mind my own f...ing business and stop listening to his call. Unfortunately when I complained to CS at the lounge entrance all they said was they would monitor his behaviour
He carried on, no sign of CS, so we moved and he won.
Ahhh for the days that I remember with fondness, when a straight fist to the jaw would have given him pause to reflect in the hospital.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
A cool idea for DYKWIA moments like these.
I can’t remember who it was, but I am sure it was someone on this forum. Told us about a loud mouth on a train trip. So he took note of everything this person was saying, found out the company he worked for, the guy’s name, told his friend to dump the shares in the company as the sales target was not being hit and finally called the CEO of the company concerned and told him what happened.

Alternatively, start a live feed through a social media platform and send it out to the world or simply take a photo of the person and tag it as a W*****, T*** etc.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:14 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry, I'm sticking to my guns. Assuming that 'ladies' i.e. women cannot handle or should not have to hear foul language, whereas it's ok around men is sexist and assuming women are delicate flowers who simply cannot handle it. Around children, yes absolutely.

This does not detract from my opinion that using that kind of language loudly in a lounge is inappropriate because using that language in any public/formal setting is inappropriate. This has nothing to do with whether the audience is male/female and has nothing to do with chivalry either.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Definitely the right action by the OP.

On the sexism issue, well pretty much all my female friends would have some very choice words for anyone who suggested they need protecting from a few swear words! Particularly my Latin friends
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Ziz
Sorry, I'm sticking to my guns. Assuming that 'ladies' i.e. women cannot handle or should not have to hear foul language, whereas it's ok around men is sexist and assuming women are delicate flowers who simply cannot handle it. Around children, yes absolutely.

This does not detract from my opinion that using that kind of language loudly in a lounge is inappropriate because using that language in any public/formal setting is inappropriate. This has nothing to do with whether the audience is male/female and has nothing to do with chivalry either.
Ahh I see you already made my point. Yes I fully agree. Maybe it's a generational thing but I don't know any ladies who go along with that nowadays and they would be quite offended if I suggest they need sheltering. A few seconds thought and its patently absurd!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Ziz

I'm with you 100%. Those of you discussing chivalry--the notion that a woman needs you to pay for her food and hold open doors for her and protect her from foul language is to say that women need protection by men. "Chivalry", however well intended, is based on antiquated notions of inferiority of women. I know you meant it to be polite, but instead of "chivalry" how about common decency and respect for all??
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

When people start bemoaning the loss of chivalry it seems predicated on the notion that somehow good manners are no longer appreciated. I see it differently. We should expand good manners to include everyone regardless of gender. Why not hold the door open for your companion, male or female?

As with someone upthread, I was raised to be considerate and courteous to all people.

Treating people differently purely because of their gender IS sexist, however people rationalise it. That's pretty much the dictionary definition.

I know many men who would feel uncomfortable and even intimidated by the behaviour described. Why should they not be afforded the same consideration as the females of the species?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
When people start bemoaning the loss of chivalry it seems predicated on the notion that somehow good manners are no longer appreciated. I see it differently. We should expand good manners to include everyone regardless of gender. Why not hold the door open for your companion, male or female?

As with someone upthread, I was raised to be considerate and courteous to all people.

Treating people differently purely because of their gender IS sexist, however people rationalise it. That's pretty much the dictionary definition.

I know many men who would feel uncomfortable and even intimidated by the behaviour described. Why should they not be afforded the same consideration as the females of the species?
Exactly. Neither men nor women probably want to hear someone shouting expletives in the lounge. There is nothing about women that makes it particularly bad when they hear it.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:00 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we have now done the PC/chivalry debate to death, and it really is not on topic for this thread given the central issue was the OP's decision to challenge the troublesome passenger's behaviour.

Let's get back to that aspect, please.

/mod
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
OP, I would have handled it the same way. I think it's pretty hilarious that he was attempting to take Heineken with him from the lounge given that business class passengers do not pay for alcohol on board! I'm curious how they discovered the failed Heineken heist?

There are just a few obvious things from this incident that almost anyone should understand (something even my 3 year old understands about lounges):
  • If you're by far the loudest person in the room, maybe you should reduce your volume
  • Vulgar language is generally not something to share with the world
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
OP, I would have handled it the same way. I think it's pretty hilarious that he was attempting to take Heineken with him from the lounge given that business class passengers do not pay for alcohol on board! I'm curious how they discovered the failed Heineken heist?

There are just a few obvious things from this incident that almost anyone should understand (something even my 3 year old understands about lounges):
  • If you're by far the loudest person in the room, maybe you should reduce your volume
  • Vulgar language is generally not something to share with the world
I'm guessing he was planning to save the beer for future consumption, perhaps at home later on.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Well done OP!

However I am a bit surprised by the 'I had him immediately removed by the Customer services'.

It sounds like you had the power to go to CS and say 'get him out' - presumably this was not the case so I would be interested to know
- what you said to Cs
- what they did in terms of coming round, observing the person, given them a warning etc
- under which authority they searched the bag
Yes it does seem we migh not have been told the full story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.