LTN - AMS with Vueling

Old Jun 17, 17, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, IHG Spire, HH Diamond
LTN - AMS with Vueling

Needing travel to travel to AMS and was thinking aboiut using the LTN - AMS service run by Vueling. TP calculator shows normal points if booked as BA. Has anyone any experience of the flight and will the point really credit? I am not so sure...
Old Jun 17, 17, 2:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Any BA marketed flight will earn avios/TPs at the BA rate regardless of operator.
Old Jun 17, 17, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes they do credit, so long as they are booked into a BA code, I have personal experience on that route. It takes 3 days to credit, nothing odd to report. It's actually quite a useful flight for structuring cheap Club Europe single tickets, but that's a subject for another time, it is often the cheapest BA ticket available. At LTN (which, incidentally, is extra appalling at the moment since the building is being reconstructed while millions of people still use it) there is no lounge. From AMS (not a lot better!) there is lounge access if you are BAEC Gold.
Old Jun 17, 17, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes they do credit, so long as they are booked into a BA code, I have personal experience on that route. It takes 3 days to credit, nothing odd to report. It's actually quite a useful flight for structuring cheap Club Europe single tickets, but that's a subject for another time, it is often the cheapest BA ticket available. At LTN (which, incidentally, is extra appalling at the moment since the building is being reconstructed while millions of people still use it) there is no lounge. From AMS (not a lot better!) there is lounge access if you are BAEC Gold.
Indeed I am somewhat shocked you have personal experience of this, c-w-s. I trust it was at least over quicker than your 788 Y experience.

Hopefully LTN will be much more bearable once all the works are finished. For now it is rather a hellhole.
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, IHG Spire, HH Diamond
@ nux, c-w-s, Ldnn1

Thx so much. Might give it a try if timings work for my AMS meetings. Just trying to avoid LHR in case i get caught up in the MF strikes etc. Also found a great 'I' class fare from LGW earlier today. But living in Birmnigham, LGW is a bit of a slog vs LHR and LTN
Old Jun 17, 17, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you've not travelled with Vueling then be aware of their limitations, it's certainly unencumbered with frills. If prime VY code is cheaper (it probably is) then you won't get TPs / Avios, but you may get IB Avios on their Optima fares. However you absolutely have to include your IB number with the booking, it's almost impossible to get Avios after that point. For BA TPs and Avios it crucially needs to be a BA codeshare. The Avios/TP level is quite reasonable, unlike say FlyBe, 625 minimum Avios even on the cheapest fare.

VY gets slagged off quite royally in this forum, but I don't mind them. At least their inflight magazine assumes an IQ greater than 100.
http://lingmagazine.com/
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post

Hopefully LTN will be much more bearable once all the works are finished. For now it is rather a hellhole.
I did LTN-ZRH on VY and it was actually a great flight. I would certainly use them again. LTN on the other hand was a mess and I would not fly from there again unless there was a specific need to do so.
Old Jun 17, 17, 4:51 pm

Oh yes my comment above was really about LTN rather than VY.

We all know BA is basically an LCC now in ET, so it's much of a muchness onboard whoever you fly with. The airport experience is what makes the difference really, and at LTN it's a pretty awful one.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
The airport experience is what makes the difference really, and at LTN it's a pretty awful one.
This is the main entrance area for Luton Airport, which, to coin a phrase, truly wafted in from Paradise:

Old Jun 17, 17, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
So there is building work going on at LTN and you try and make out it's a permanent thing.? I thought better of you c-w-s!

There is building work at JFK T7 at this moment in time. Where's the picture and insult about that ???
Old Jun 17, 17, 11:59 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
So there is building work going on at LTN and you try and make out it's a permanent thing.? I thought better of you c-w-s!

There is building work at JFK T7 at this moment in time. Where's the picture and insult about that ???
At LTN (which, incidentally, is extra appalling at the moment since the building is being reconstructed while millions of people still use it) there is no lounge.
(Bolding mine)
I fail to understand why c-w-s should post a picture of JFK T7 in a thread about LTN and AMS
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Originally Posted by sds1493 View Post
(Bolding mine)
I fail to understand why c-w-s should post a picture of JFK T7 in a thread about LTN and AMS
I suspect UKtravelbear is having a gentle little prod at my expense, his deep admiration about LTN was hitherto very well hidden. But I shall not be deterred, here is the landside shopping experience (temporary). Elsewhere I've got a photo of JD World of Trainers on standby just in case Raffles joins in.

Old Jun 18, 17, 2:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I suspect UKtravelbear is having a gentle little prod at my expense, his deep admiration about LTN was hitherto very well hidden. But I shall not be deterred, here is the landside shopping experience (temporary). Elsewhere I've got a photo of JD World of Trainers on standby just in case Raffles joins in.

My goodness, it looks like a scene from Southend's Adventure Island 😱

Not that long ago, say three decades ago, our airports were inspired by the great railway terminus structures of the Victorian era...
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:44 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

That "temporary" landside shopping experience has been there for some time now (I thought there were still also a couple of outlets inside, but could be wrong since I rarely visit the checkin area). I use LTN fairly regularly on U2 (at least monthly), and while it's hard to deny the work can be a PITA (the traffic impact is what irritates me the most, and the airside shopping/dining area does get pretty crowded), I've found ways to make the overall experience fairly time-efficient at least. Security and boarding work fairly well (as long as you don't expect airbridges), I generally arrive there about 75-80 mins before a flight and that works pretty well.

I'm hoping it will be more pleasurable when the work eventually concludes, hard to visualise how it will look right now. Saying that, I haven't found it any worse inside the terminal than STN, which doesn't have the same building work to excuse it, though admittedly I use STN only a few times a year because the arrivals experience in particular is so miserable IME.

It's actually quite a useful flight for structuring cheap Club Europe single tickets, but that's a subject for another time
I haven't been using the VY flights from LTN (mainly use them for domestics in Spain), but was interested by this, is there an existing thread where one could ask you to expand on the subject?
Old Jun 18, 17, 3:02 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
My goodness, it looks like a scene from Southend's Adventure Island 😱

Not that long ago, say three decades ago, our airports were inspired by the great railway terminus structures of the Victorian era...
Quite why WH Smith is hemmed in by a randomly positioned grit bin and a barrier I'm not quite sure, but I am frankly rather more shocked that a fellow esteemed mod knows what Adventure Island looks like .

I have a pathological dislike of LTN from once driving 2.5 hours there to collect my parents - in the days way before the information age and mobile phones with no way to check flight arrivals other than to ring the airline, who happily confirmed everything was running to time - only to find when I arrived that the outgoing flight hadn't even departed. Seven hours later, with it still sitting on the tarmac, I gave up and drove home again. Arrivals was sparse to say the least then, but I shudder to think what it'd be like currently.

The good news is that at least I didn't have to pay for parking - astonishingly it was possible to leave your car unattended on the pickup forecourt next to the terminal for hours on end without anyone batting an eyelid. As Prospero said, times have indeed changed.

Search this Thread