BA15: deplaning at SIN is optional?

Old Jun 13, 17, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
BA15: deplaning at SIN is optional?

Travelling on BA15: LHR-SIN-SYD, Boeing 777.
This flight has a 1h40 layover in SIN for refueling.
Same plane is used for the second leg, AFAIK.

- Is "deplaning" mandatory for this layover?
- If I leave the plane, will I need to go through Security to get back on?
- Will new passengers be joining at SIN, and others leaving?

I booked this flight via a BA call centre. The agent said I could leave the plane and walk in one of the gardens at SIN, if I wanted to. And that I would not need to repass through Security.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
You must get off the aircraft at SIN. All passengers will pass through security at the gate.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
Travelling on BA15: LHR-SIN-SYD, Boeing 777.
This flight has a 1h40 layover in SIN for refueling.
Same plane is used for the second leg, AFAIK.

- Is "deplaning" mandatory for this layover?
Yes
- If I leave the plane, will I need to go through Security to get back on?
Yes
- Will new passengers be joining at SIN, and others leaving?
Yes

I booked this flight via a BA call centre. The agent said I could leave the plane and walk in one of the gardens at SIN, if I wanted to. And that I would not need to repass through Security.
It is compulsory that all customers get off.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You must get off the aircraft in Singapore. You have to clear Singapore security at the gate before you board - so take care trying to carry liquids back on board. You have about an hour on the ground, at most - so while you can go visit the airport's various entertainments, you may also feel like finding a shower and using it.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Not only must you get off, you must take all your hand luggage with you.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
And you have your belongings re scanned so allow time. Definitely recommend going up to the top floor to the cactus garden for half hour if no lounge access. You can buy a drink or just sit outside and get some fresh (ish!) air
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze; IHG Spire Amb
I think it's important to freshen up at SIN on that flight. A shower and a change of underwear (and clothes if poss) makes all the difference. If there was a non stop direct flight in not sure I would take it. no matter what cabin I am in, I'm ready for a change of scenery, no matter how brief, after 10+ hours!
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:56 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick View Post
I think it's important to freshen up at SIN on that flight. A shower and a change of underwear (and clothes if poss) makes all the difference. If there was a non stop direct flight in not sure I would take it. no matter what cabin I am in, I'm ready for a change of scenery, no matter how brief, after 10+ hours!
While I certainly agree I'd shower, changing into PJs onboard also makes a big difference for longhaul. Having a shower is also a reason to avoid ultra short connections between two longhaul flights, although this is also where those onboard showers on the likes of EK F (A380) become quite welcome and not a gimmick.
Old Jun 13, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I found the shower on the reverse BA16 pre SIN-LHR a definte must, both legs were F and allowed additional LPGS consumption before a very comfy sleep
Old Jun 13, 17, 2:38 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'm not sure there are many, if any, international flights where you don't need to get off the plane when transiting even if it is the same flight - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai are ones where I have gotten off. I know Los Angeles needs pax on NZ1/2 to get off and I believe they even have to fill in immigration forms even though they are not landing in the US!

Re the tips about the shower, definitely worth it. Check to see what lounges are available and what facilities. Fresh set of clothes too helps. I did see someone get "gifted" a QF pair of F jammies while in Y once. She did look a little odd amongst the other pax, but I guess she was comfortable.
Old Jun 13, 17, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
CX889 JFK-YVR-HKG, no need to get off at YVR (the same is not true for the reverse however).
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
I did see someone get "gifted" a QF pair of F jammies while in Y once. She did look a little odd amongst the other pax, but I guess she was comfortable.
I'm not sure anyone except airline employees traveling nonrev care what they or anyone else looks like on long hauls. Comfort is a key way to surviving these 10 to 15 hour flights that airlines have introduced.
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
QR 834 DOH-BKK-HAN is another one where you don't have to get off.
Old Jun 13, 17, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
When BA used to operate Doha to LHR via Bahrain you could stay on the plane at Bahrain. Good job too, otherwise it would have been a right pain given that Doha to Bahrain makes LHR to MAN look like an ultra long haul flight.
Old Jun 13, 17, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
As recommended by the lads above, a quick shower, and a nice drink, fresh clothes, some fresh air before heading back to your gate is fantastic.

But try to stick to getting everything done within 50 minutes as they do tend to board on time and depending on where you're aircraft is parked and at which gate vs where the lounge is, you may have a bit of a long walk to/from the lounge with shower facilities to get back to the gate and to go through security again.

Search this Thread