Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15: deplaning at SIN is optional?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by dddc
I'm not sure there are many, if any, international flights where you don't need to get off the plane when transiting even if it is the same flight - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai are ones where I have gotten off. I know Los Angeles needs pax on NZ1/2 to get off and I believe they even have to fill in immigration forms even though they are not landing in the US!

Re the tips about the shower, definitely worth it. Check to see what lounges are available and what facilities. Fresh set of clothes too helps. I did see someone get "gifted" a QF pair of F jammies while in Y once. She did look a little odd amongst the other pax, but I guess she was comfortable.
Granted, I can see a certain logic to it since US airports don't actually have proper "international zones"...but presuming it's a same-plane pass-through I cannot help but wonder at the logic of an immigration officer having to make a judgment here, since denying someone admission and returning them to NZ would probably result in them spending more time in the US as a result.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:20 pm

I think it would be exceptionally weird if someone did not want to get off the plane in this case anyways. Not even because the stop is at the best airport in the world, but that is on top of it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I think it would be exceptionally weird if someone did not want to get off the plane in this case anyways. Not even because the stop is at the best airport in the world, but that is on top of it.
Don't get me wrong, SIN is a very nice airport and I would consider a stretch of the legs to be a normal desire after a long flight. But I can also see someone who is buried in work or just plain exhausted not wanting to bother...especially if they were presuming that they would spend much of that hour waiting in a line somewhere.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Don't get me wrong, SIN is a very nice airport and I would consider a stretch of the legs to be a normal desire after a long flight. But I can also see someone who is buried in work or just plain exhausted not wanting to bother...especially if they were presuming that they would spend much of that hour waiting in a line somewhere.
To each their own, but I would have to be brokering a Middle East peace deal to keep me on that plane after a flight of that length.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Before Australia made it mandatory for people to disembark and then board before heading to Australia, I remember that a lot of people on the DXB-SIN-MEL service did choose to remain onboard
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It would be entirely sensible to chuck everyone of, even if it's just for the ease of cleaning.

Has anyone noticed the state of the cabin (esp. the floor) after a long flight?! I'm sure people don't behave like that at home but it's often utterly disgusting with rubbish strewn all over the floor etc.

If I were a passenger getting on BA15/16 at SIN, I'd be utterly disgusted to be getting on if the cabin hadn't been cleaned. I'd probably have a minor freak-out and offload myself.

I'm glad they throw everyone off and give it a clean - much harder to do with passengers on.

And that's just one aspect of the whole thing of getting people off the flight at SIN.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:24 pm

Plenty of flights internationally. I have just come back Harare - Lusaka - Dubai and passengers stay on the plane in Lusaka both ways.

Good point about the cleaning though. I did notice that when he plane leaves Harare half empty people move around the cabin. So when the passenger joins at Lusaka and finds the seat occupied it isn't easy to get the situation reversed unless you fancy using someone's used pillow etc.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
I think it's important to freshen up at SIN on that flight. A shower and a change of underwear (and clothes if poss) makes all the difference.
Change of clothes is important. From London to Singapore is the start of the holiday so smart casual clothing is best. Entering Australia is an entirely different game so I change into a suit and tie at SIN. Australians are quite formal and welcome passengers taking them seriously.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Change of clothes is important. From London to Singapore is the start of the holiday so smart casual clothing is best. Entering Australia is an entirely different game so I change into a suit and tie at SIN. Australians are quite formal and welcome passengers taking them seriously.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Before Australia made it mandatory for people to disembark and then board before heading to Australia, I remember that a lot of people on the DXB-SIN-MEL service did choose to remain onboard
I have to wonder why they did that, particularly to/from the UK. If this was a fifth freedom flight including someplace like Somalia I could see that, but the UK (or, for that matter, hypothetically the US...where they have direct flights to/from).
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have to wonder why they did that, particularly to/from the UK. If this was a fifth freedom flight including someplace like Somalia I could see that, but the UK (or, for that matter, hypothetically the US...where they have direct flights to/from).
becuase it is a standard rule for all flights to Australia, not just for these. Simpler than maintaining a list of exceptions
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Thanks for the replies.
I was particularly interested to find out of there would me more Security queues at the SIN layover. Sounds like there will be.
I was going to go cabin baggage only on this trip. Instead I will just take the bare essentials on board with me, and check-in my main bag.
I can't stand the faff the taking my main bag off at SIN to go through another Security round.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mikem004
Thanks for the replies.
I was particularly interested to find out of there would me more Security queues at the SIN layover. Sounds like there will be.
I was going to go cabin baggage only on this trip. Instead I will just take the bare essentials on board with me, and check-in my main bag.
I can't stand the faff the taking my main bag off at SIN to go through another Security round.
I do the route regularly and always fly HBO - it really isn't that bad and security is quite quick. You'll be waiting much longer for your luggage to arrive at LHR/MAN than you will be waiting to reclear security at SIN.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Definitely still go HBO - they are efficient. Also, there's no problem with storage in the overhead bins on the 77W. Only problem I've encountered was having some spare $ left coming back from Oz, buying booze and them re-assuring me it would be fine at the hop off and on and SIN - only to have it confiscated and thrown in the bin. Devastating!

Also, despite being a very efficient airport, this is one of the few occasions when my luggage didn't transfer from the BA16 to the BA12 - so never checking luggage again for me !
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I do the route regularly and always fly HBO - it really isn't that bad and security is quite quick. You'll be waiting much longer for your luggage to arrive at LHR/MAN than you will be waiting to reclear security at SIN.
I'm on my third trip via SIN this year and yep HBO is a doddle. I'm not a great fan of the security arrangement at SIN but is is reasonably quick and painless, particularly when compared to standing by the carousel and waiting at the end of the journey. (For some reason HKG has been a pain this year on transfer - an unhealthy obsession with tweezers )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.