Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Old Jun 13, 17, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Obtuse question (and hopefully no-one takes offence), but wondering what the point is of attaching the Gold/Silver BAEC luggage tags onto Cabin Baggage?

As far as I'm aware, there are no perks for cabin baggage based on your BAEC status. I can only speculate that maybe people think that they're less likely to get the dreaded yellow "place-under-the-seat-in-front-of-you" tag when checking in, but I'm not sure if staff really consider that...

And unless you're travelling First or Club (where you can't actually put a bag in front of you), I'm assuming that BAEC tag or not, you're gonna have to shove any small bags into the foot-well?

(Of course, maybe it all comes down to psychological status-poncing, but hey - we're better than that... Right? (Hey - I did hope that no-one takes offence!))
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:23 am

It is only to make the tag waver feel important. Nothing more.
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Agreed. The tags are totally irrelevant.

Programs: BAEC GGL
My guess is it makes people feel special...

I've occasionally wondered if it might ward off a gate agent looking for bags to check but my answer to that is having a bag which fits in the allowed size and politely explaining that I would like to make a fast exit at the other end, I'm in CE and GGL. I've yet to have anything gate checked as a result...

Programs: BAEC Gold
Honestly, there is no real point at all; not on hand luggage, and not really on checked hold luggage either...

I do use them on both, but it's only because I'm relatively young and often look pretty casual when I travel and/or I'm travelling with wife, baby and all the kit....and to be honest I just got bored of quite frequently having BA staff "check" we were in the right place when queuing for First check-in / fast track / Gold lounge...not in a mean way, but clearly always anticipating we had somehow got it wrong because we didn't look like the 'typical' GCH group...(if there is such a thing).

So I do use them for that, and it does seem to cut down the number of pointless interactions on these things as staff can see for themselves that we're fine where we are...

I take them off generally if I'm travelling for work, in a suit or whatever when I fit the 'profile' somewhat more obviously.

I guess that's really just a form of DYKWIA, but it's for a just cause...
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:31 am

If people want to use them, why not? Why are people so keen to try and infer the intent of other people's actions?

I have them on some of my hand luggage for the simple reason that sometimes I choose to check those bags in. I like to use some kind of bag tag and if someone gives me some free ones I'll use them. I'm not bothered - I have other bags with 99p Aldi tags on too. Heck, I think I even have some rather old silver tags on some bags.

But I guess some people might roll their eyes and smirk when they see me carrying my tagged bag on board. But that says more about them than me I feel.

Last edited by windowontheAside; Jun 13, 17 at 8:36 am
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If nothing else they are a pretty anonymous way (other than name) for your stuff to be easily identified. BA have all the contact details associated with it should it get lost somewhere airport related.
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I keep mine on my larger cabin bag just in case they make me check my bag at the gate. I don't think it helps in any other way or at least not that I've ever noticed. I still get the yellow tag, so it certainly doesn't ward that off.
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
If people want to use them, why not? Why are people so keen to try and infer the intent of other people's actions?

I have them on some of my hand luggage for the simple reason that sometimes I choose to check those bags in. I like to use some kind of bag tag and if someone gives me some free ones I'll use them. I'm not bothered - I have other bags with 99p Aldi tags on too. Heck, I think I even have some rather old silver tags on some bags.

But I guess some people might roll their eyes and smirk when they see my carrying my tagged bag on board. But that says more about them than me I feel.
me too, sometimes we check bags and they are handy for ID in case of loss. Other times I take as hand baggage but I'm not about to remove the tags as life is too short
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post

But I guess some people might roll their eyes and smirk when they see my carrying my tagged bag on board. But that says more about them than me I feel.
Same here! Once decided to gate check my bag... As it turned out, it did not show up at the other end... went through all the usual motions of missing bag etc, and shortly thereafter got a call from LHR saying they had my bag ( 10 mins after filing report, so not related), and would send it over on next flight...

Hence, will always stick the tags on my luggage... It works for what it is supposed to do, but if you want attention, stick it to your forehead? :-)
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KMPete View Post
I keep mine on my larger cabin bag just in case they make me check my bag at the gate. I don't think it helps in any other way or at least not that I've ever noticed. I still get the yellow tag, so it certainly doesn't ward that off.
I once avoided having my cabin bag taken from me at LCY on a very busy flight where customers were given no choice in the matter. I was pointedly missed out (and I was not sitting in that silly roped-off area for GCH) and the poor guy next in line whose bag was taken asked the agent why mine was not. GCH was her response which was a bit awkward so I pretended not to have heard. Generally my cabin bag contains camera equipment that I would refuse to check; once on Easyjet I was late to board and was forced to hand over my bag - I emptied much of it into my pockets first and then staggered on with the camera/500mm lens held in my hands.
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
If people want to use them then fair enough.

However since reading Flyertalk I sometimes wonder whether the owner is as 'loyal/important' to BA as the tag seems to portray.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
On a recent flight from SIN I noticed a gentleman board the aircraft with a Concorde Room Card prominently attached to his backpack. Cleverly displayed at eye-level for all to see.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Aadvantage now dormant
Originally Posted by LBP2 View Post
If nothing else they are a pretty anonymous way (other than name) for your stuff to be easily identified. BA have all the contact details associated with it should it get lost somewhere airport related.
This is pretty much the only reason that comes to mind.
Being silver doesn't get me into the DKYWIA club (I would need to be bronze for that).
I know my Mother was slightly bemused when she received her bronze tags - something was said 'what am I supposed yo do with these ?' if I recall correctly.
They are useful for hand luggage, not so much for checked bags as they are not sturdy enough.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by missdimeaner View Post
This is pretty much the only reason that comes to mind.
Being silver doesn't get me into the DKYWIA club (I would need to be bronze for that).
I know my Mother was slightly bemused when she received her bronze tags - something was said 'what am I supposed yo do with these ?' if I recall correctly.
They are useful for hand luggage, not so much for checked bags as they are not sturdy enough.
I found them to be excellent as winter windscreen scrapers

Search this Thread