Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Old Jun 14, 17, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't especially like using the tags, and some of the comments on here now make me re-consider...do people really just think I am using them to show off? Bit sad.

Genuinely - as others have said - I find they can help pre-empt being challenged by BA staff for using the First Wing/Lounge etc. along the way: some of the other younger posters have said the same...staff don't do it in a mean way, but I do find when I travel in casual clothes I get a few 'concerned' enquiries (do you know where you're headed, sir? can I help you etc...) which I don't get so much with the tags tucked away discreetly somewhere...

Even more than that, they are of some use in discouraging DYKWIA behaviour from certain other passengers...especially if travelling with Mrs R, the baby and all the clobber it's not unusual we get some overweight businessman in a bad suit behind us at Club check-in (EU outstations) huffing and puffing clearly wondering why we are in their way, or gate lice thinking we're 'jumping the line because we have a baby' when we board (yes, I actually overheard some ghastly old witch say that once) - the tags help tell those types to back off...

Bit sad, but they have their (small uses). I tuck them away very discreetly when I can. And they come off the minute I'm out of the airport.

Appreciate if you clearly fit to GCH "profile", you might think the tags are pointless. I don't use them when I'm flying with colleagues, in a suit, looking like I am part of it....but travelling alone, in civvies, or with the family, they can be sort of helpful in small ways...
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by awtgiven View Post
I'm curious as to why so many people feel the need to belittle and judge others for something as simple as having a plastic card attached to their luggage.

Is it not the point of a luggage tag is make easily luggage identifiable to its owner and perhaps if it is left unattended or lost - easy to reunite with its owner. Have we all not left a bag on a Galleries/FLounge/CCR seat while we nip to the loo.

I see many people in the cabin with lots of different kinds of luggage tag - from handwritten that came with the case, to football teams and other sports, all sorts. Rather than buy additional tags, we're all given a few for free by BA. What's wrong with using them.

I sometimes use a backpack that looks like a thousand other backpacks in an airport, so I use the BA luggage tag as a way of identifying it - 'cause the tag has my name on it.

I really wish the belittling crap on here would stop, it stops flyertalk being a friendly place for advice and help.

Agree. Come now people, surely those who are displaying their inverted snobbery about this (extremely important) topic here are just as bad as the people they attack for using a tag. I am guessing that by Silver or Gold the novelty has worn off for everyone and these are just - useful tags. They're free, I am too lazy to find others - and yes, on occasion the crew do notice them. If I still had my blue tags I would use them too.

In fact, come to think of it, I am likely to be receiving a new set of those all too soon, now that BA shorthaul has been turned into a cattle truck. Senor Cruz - the only mortal who can turn gold into (blue) water.
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by awtgiven View Post
I'm curious as to why so many people feel the need to belittle and judge others for something as simple as having a plastic card attached to their luggage.

Is it not the point of a luggage tag is make easily luggage identifiable to its owner and perhaps if it is left unattended or lost - easy to reunite with its owner. Have we all not left a bag on a Galleries/FLounge/CCR seat while we nip to the loo.

I see many people in the cabin with lots of different kinds of luggage tag - from handwritten that came with the case, to football teams and other sports, all sorts. Rather than buy additional tags, we're all given a few for free by BA. What's wrong with using them.

I sometimes use a backpack that looks like a thousand other backpacks in an airport, so I use the BA luggage tag as a way of identifying it - 'cause the tag has my name on it.

I really wish the belittling crap on here would stop, it stops flyertalk being a friendly place for advice and help.
Indeed, post of the month ^
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Shifting the direction of this thread slightly, what do people use to secure the tags to luggage ?

I find the BA mini-belts absolutely useless so tend to use a zip tie (small enough for me to remove with nail clippers if needs be).
I've heard it said that the mini-belts are as fragile as the egos of those that use them to adorn their bags with status tags
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:35 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I find once you have six or more on your laptop bag that they start to act like a muted wind chime as they oscillate in sync with your gait. Brings a little bit of zen to the airport workout.
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:15 am

Location: Isle of Skye and Northumberland, UK and outback Australia.
Programs: BA silver
Would any other FlyerTalker do this?

Old Jun 14, 17, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Yesterday in AC (Air Canada not Admirals Club) lounge in FRA, there was a guy who had like 5 tags attached to his fairly small hand baggage.

This looked fairly comical...
I have seen this a fair few times too, just so no matter what angle the bag or the audience is, a tag is still in view...
Old Jun 14, 17, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Stez View Post
Would any other FlyerTalker do this?

I'm sure some would just to take the piss and see how quickly it appears on here...

Have no issues with tags on bags, bar the one bloke I saw at BRU who had a variety of different tags, including bronze, silver and gold BA ones
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:56 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I've left my Gold one on my carry-on size suitcase. I haven't been Gold for years.

As a mere Blue/Bronze, it does 3 things for me.
1. I can id the bag quickly
2. If there are queues at bag drop/check in, or whatever it is called nowadays, staff sometimes direct me to shorter queues
3. In Asia, they appear to notice this sort of thing more.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by xenole View Post

It's no worse than half the airport parading around with their Tumi, LV, Rimowa etc. luggage saying "Look at me, I've got an £800 bag" or something.
Huh, I have Tumi backpack and Rimova wheeler for practical purposes - these are great quality bags. Plus I bought my Tumi in the outlet in Grand Prairie, TX for ridiculously low amount of money Just OT'ing...
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
I use both bronze and silver ones, I'd mistakenly thought they were to help with ID of the luggage. Obviously now I know better I'll immediately seek psychiatric help and try to address my status issues.
Old Jun 14, 17, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Huh, I have Tumi backpack and Rimova wheeler for practical purposes - these are great quality bags. Plus I bought my Tumi in the outlet in Grand Prairie, TX for ridiculously low amount of money Just OT'ing...
I see some Tumi bags recommended on here at £600. So unless you got a minimum 90% discount we disagree greatly on the phrase 'ridiculously low'. But you'd definitely improve that bag with a bronze BAEC tag
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Platinum, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I don't use the tags, and if challenged by a DYKWIA or a staff member for looking like a ragamuffin, I just say "I'm Gold".

Ever since I can remember, my mum tied a bit of ribbon to our suitcases for ease of identification and I have continued this tradition.

I often see bags with bronze tags attached when taking trains around London, even when the owner does not appear to be going to the airport.
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I often see bags with bronze tags attached when taking trains around London, even when the owner does not appear to be going to the airport.
I guess I'm guilty of this at times (albeit with gold, silver and Aldi tags). I thought they all served the purpose of labelling my bag; I didn't realise the tag should pertain to one's chosen mode of transport.

Now I know better.
Old Jun 14, 17, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have an Oyster card attached to my shoe laces. I find it useful to identify my shoes if I ever have to taken them off when entering someone's house.

Search this Thread