Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Old Jun 13, 17, 7:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
A young lady caught my eye the other day at an airport and I remarked in my head to myself how attractive she was.

Then i saw Bronze bag tags on her backpack and suddenly she wasn't ...
My first thought would have been to invite her into the lounge as my guest @:-)
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Blue, FB Silver, Shebamiles, Blue
I will admit that I put them on my hand luggage for nothing more than because I have them. Worked out quite well for me a couple of years ago when travelling Y on CX from SUB-HKG when I was still BA Gold. Arrived at the CX check in area outside of the tensa barriers, before they opened and there was a large group booking waiting to be checked and one check in agent behind the counter. She just happened to look over in my direction and must have clocked the Gold baggage tag. She promptly got up from her seat and stuck her head in the back office. On her way back to the desk she acknowledged me with a nod and a smile and sat back down again. A minute later and another agent came out of the office and headed across the check in hall to me and asked if I was travelling on the CX flight then asked for my ticket and passport then went back into the office. Came back a few minutes later with my boarding pass and passport and happily pointed out my new seat in J then apologised as I would have to wait for another 10 minutes or so before I could offload my luggage.

Sometimes they help

S
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
I use them as luggage tags because this is their use
I use also some from QR, TK and one non airline related.

I have one on my hand luggage because it helps to identify it and sometimes can expedite things at some fast tracks or dedicated check-in area, so I don't have to take out BPs or cards from the bag.

I think some people gives them too much meaning
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I have them on my hold baggage and my hand baggage...

I have had the disappear from my hold baggage either as the baggage system eats them up or they fall off, or they are pinched...

The hand baggage ones serve as a spare just in case, or if I go on a spending spree in some department stores in the USA, then I have one if I have to send back more luggage in the hold.
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Shifting the direction of this thread slightly, what do people use to secure the tags to luggage ?

I find the BA mini-belts absolutely useless so tend to use a zip tie (small enough for me to remove with nail clippers if needs be).
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Shifting the direction of this thread slightly, what do people use to secure the tags to luggage ?

I find the BA mini-belts absolutely useless so tend to use a zip tie (small enough for me to remove with nail clippers if needs be).
The M&M (LH/LX etc) metal wire ties are in a different league of robustness, versus the pathetic offering from BA.
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:06 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I'd have thought it was quite obvious. Half the people use them to massage their ego, and the other half feel superior for not using them. Everybody wins!

(Judging by the replies every time this subject comes up)
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by flibbly View Post
I'd have thought it was quite obvious. Half the people use them to massage their ego
Yesterday in AC (Air Canada not Admirals Club) lounge in FRA, there was a guy who had like 5 tags attached to his fairly small hand baggage.

This looked fairly comical...
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Keychain-Cable-Stainless-Colorful/dp/B01KV12W3K/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&re fRID=WWE49SBEMY8XC6M0WN73
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
My first thought would have been to invite her into the lounge as my guest @:-)
Sadly this was just prior to boarding. That, and my wife would kill me if she ever got a whiff of even talking to her :-)
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue

I use the mini belts and secure the tab that has passed through the buckle with a zip tie.
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
I've got no issues with bags tags. If you want to show them off for whatever reason, who am I to have issue with that?

It's no worse than half the airport parading around with their Tumi, LV, Rimowa etc. luggage saying "Look at me, I've got an 800 bag" or something.

Or people here going on about how they spent 200 on a steak in a NY restaurant, 1000/night in some swanky hotel, or "I've just book 8 F tickets @ 2k each....what a bargain".

It may be pretentious to some, to others it's not. Some people are proud of what may seem something trivial to others. They may have earned it at great expense to themselves.
Sure some people want to show off, be better than others, but we all do that at some point from the new patio set through to a 100k sports car just to drive at 5mph in London traffic.
Look at the number of BMWs etc. that have private / personal number plates as you get near Manchester, London etc. They're just showing off the same as anyone with a bag tag. No difference whatsoever.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 14, 17 at 1:54 am
Old Jun 14, 17, 1:43 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by RandomStan View Post
I'm very conscious of exactly where in the overhead bins I store my bags,
You might know where you stored your bags but that doesn't mean they will be in the same place at the end of the flight as people often move bags to make room for their own. I hope that my combination of Gold card tag, easyJet plus tag and plastic duck will also make it easy to find my bag amongst the many other black rucksacks in the locker.
Old Jun 14, 17, 2:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by flibbly View Post
I'd have thought it was quite obvious. Half the people use them to massage their ego, and the other half feel superior for not using them. Everybody wins!

(Judging by the replies every time this subject comes up)

You have a point, there does seem to be rather a lot of inverted snobbery going about in this topic.
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xenole View Post
I've got no issues with bags tags. If you want to show them off for whatever reason, who am I to have issue with that?

It's no worse than half the airport parading around with their Tumi, LV, Rimowa etc. luggage saying "Look at me, I've got an 800 bag" or something.

Or people here going on about how they spent 200 on a steak in a NY restaurant, 1000/night in some swanky hotel, or "I've just book 8 F tickets @ 2k each....what a bargain".

It may be pretentious to some, to others it's not. Some people are proud of what may seem something trivial to others. They may have earned it at great expense to themselves.
Sure some people want to show off, be better than others, but we all do that at some point from the new patio set through to a 100k sports car just to drive at 5mph in London traffic.
Look at the number of BMWs etc. that have private / personal number plates as you get near Manchester, London etc. They're just showing off the same as anyone with a bag tag. No difference whatsoever.

Search this Thread