Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relevance of Gold/Silver tags on cabin baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
I found them to be excellent as winter windscreen scrapers
Back in the early 90's I was in Banjul and stuck in a very long queue of people trying to check in. The BA station manager was a young British bloke, immaculate in his uniform and clearly very proud to be there.

He was required to deal with a real DYKWIA who wanted to know where the Executive club check in desk was ( there being just F J and Y). This guy went on and on and the station manager kept his cool ( despite the tropical heat in the tin hut that was BJL at the time.) he was invited to use the J line which was just as long.

Finally the idiot uttered the immortal words "what use is this then " whilst waving the silver card in the station managers face.

The young guy unfazed simply look at him and said " great for getting the ice of your windscreen!" Several passengers cheered.

I spoke to the station manager later and congratulated him on his nerve and wit and he told me that he had got the story from other staff. Apparently there was another incident in the T1 lounge some time before when passengers were turned away as it was full. A irate punter complained repeatedly to the lounge dragon and she simply said repeatedly that she "wished she could oblige but until someone left he could not enter."

Furiously he threw the silver card across the desk at her and said, well you can stick that up your backside" The dragon lifted the card off the desk and presented it back with the words. "would like to oblige with that also but I have two up there already"

Class acts at a time BA was a class act!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by T8191
TAGS ... TAGS ... TAGS ...

Yes, we use them, on both Hold Bags and Carry-On. AND the Flyertalk ones as well, on the latter.

BA issues them, why should I NOT use them? If we get separated from our bags, there's a point of reference for someone to unite us with them [as nearly happened with my carry-on at PHX in April]. It is also useful when trying to stop lesser-persons pushing in front at Boarding. Agents and CC can see we are 'valued customers', without knowing how little we pay for our status [thanks to FT]. And they have helped us get pulled out of line/queue by Agents.

Fly the Gold Flag!
No bag-tag thread is ever complete, without Uncle T and his thoughts on the matter

M
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:31 pm

Tags are to warn you which passengers are complete t***s and to be avoided at all costs.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
On a recent flight from SIN I noticed a gentleman board the aircraft with a Concorde Room Card prominently attached to his backpack. Cleverly displayed at eye-level for all to see.
I have a colleague who at all times (including those when I know he's not been within 20 miles of an airport for weeks) has his bronze tags attached to his backpack in full view.

I can't fathom it personally, I can understand maybe putting one on a case in case you need to check it or if it's very generic and you want to make sure you have the right one but a (fairly small) backpack?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I never use the tags, they offer very little value in my mind.

For lost baggage, the vast majority of lost and reunited bags happen through the luggage tag or the barcode sticker not the BAEC bag tag.

For increased service for PAX with a GC showing, I've not observed any difference. I suspect those that have are subconsciously buying too much into the marketing.

From a risk perspective, I think showcasing a gold card increases your profile to a potential thief. A thief will not naturally think that a company has funded that gold card and would reasonably conclude it was self funded and therefore a reflection of wealth.

The very fact that most do not use their bag tags just tells me the utility of them is limited, thus concluding those who do either do it for showing status or mistakenly perceive value in them.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:47 pm

Confession time.

A young lady caught my eye the other day at an airport and I remarked in my head to myself how attractive she was.

Then i saw Bronze bag tags on her backpack and suddenly she wasn't ...

I feel shallow ... but advertising Bronze ...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Exactly my reasoning.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If people want to use them, why not? Why are people so keen to try and infer the intent of other people's actions?

I have them on some of my hand luggage for the simple reason that sometimes I choose to check those bags in. I like to use some kind of bag tag and if someone gives me some free ones I'll use them. I'm not bothered - I have other bags with 99p Aldi tags on too. Heck, I think I even have some rather old silver tags on some bags.

But I guess some people might roll their eyes and smirk when they see me carrying my tagged bag on board. But that says more about them than me I feel.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA gold
It's amazing how a piece of card on a bag of a random stranger can throw up so much assumption and judgement about the individual donig it. A bit sad really.

I used to have them on my carry-on as sometimes gate employees check for status holders in a queue for various reasons, typically at HKG years ago. I don't need to anymore because I'm familiar with the setup.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm curious as to why so many people feel the need to belittle and judge others for something as simple as having a plastic card attached to their luggage.

Is it not the point of a luggage tag is make easily luggage identifiable to its owner and perhaps if it is left unattended or lost - easy to reunite with its owner. Have we all not left a bag on a Galleries/FLounge/CCR seat while we nip to the loo.

I see many people in the cabin with lots of different kinds of luggage tag - from handwritten that came with the case, to football teams and other sports, all sorts. Rather than buy additional tags, we're all given a few for free by BA. What's wrong with using them.

I sometimes use a backpack that looks like a thousand other backpacks in an airport, so I use the BA luggage tag as a way of identifying it - 'cause the tag has my name on it.

I really wish the belittling crap on here would stop, it stops flyertalk being a friendly place for advice and help.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
For practical reasons, it makes it much easier to indicate a tag on a roller bag when going through lounge access areas / check-in etc.

It makes less fuss (with good stuff, nothing needs to be said. Sometimes a knowing "welcome back" - which is nice!) than proclaiming one's status and right to be there.

By contrast, no tags on Eurostar Carte Blanche and I constantly have to fumble one handed on my phone through the Eurostar app to justify being there. Every time.

A small tag makes a small difference.

I'd also add that being younger, it guards against DYKWIA's in queues. Sometimes you can be made to feel quite unwelcome.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I used to use them but as I'm working in the public sector as a consultant I don't want to brag or look "special". So I only use the Flyertalk tag, it's so good and attracts attention ^ It invites to talk about flying ^

I don't think crew of any airline is impressed by a tag.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:12 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
In my experience, most queues are full of bag tags on cabin baggage. Is it more fashionable to be the 'understated gold' who doesn't have to declare to all and sundry that they are gold? I wonder how many of those that don't display the tags have had a look at their BA passenger segmentation info.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Cheers for the replies! Interesting mix of reasons...

Sounds like there are a few anecdotal experiences of BA staff waiving the dreaded yellow-tag or gate check-in process, but it sounds like these are few and far between... I guess this would be the main reason why I'd maybe use a tag (not that I carry a lot on-board, but I'm sometimes crestfallen when they make me pop my small backpack by my feet, when in fact it can sit on top of the laptop bag that I pop into overhead - it's not like I've seen many occasions where passengers choose to stack their cabin baggage on top of someone else's)...!

Didn't even consider needing to identify my bags - I'm very conscious of exactly where in the overhead bins I store my bags, and in visits to airport/lounges I never wander out of sight from my kit for more than a few seconds (yep, I even wheel it all into the bathroom with me, should I need to go!).

I guess I'm with Jed - understated status suits me better. I work in IT and must therefore dress like a man-child - videogame t-shirts and all that, yet have very seldom found any staff or fellow passengers assuming that I've accidentally joined the wrong queue...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Jed
In my experience, most queues are full of bag tags on cabin baggage. Is it more fashionable to be the 'understated gold' who doesn't have to declare to all and sundry that they are gold? I wonder how many of those that don't display the tags have had a look at their BA passenger segmentation info.
Or peeked at the manifest and then willy waved their CIV here. Just as bad as attaching a bag tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.