Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original routing credit after QR CAI fiasco.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver

I have not found much info on BA and original routing credit.
Does BA officially offer original routing credit in case of IRROPS?
My case is not an IRROPS per se, but has a similarity. Following the political issue between Qatar and other Gulf countries as well as Egypt, QR has changed my booking into a BA routing. Because of this new routing, I will get about the same number of Avios, but will lose 40TPs (2 times the downgrade from F on CAI-DOH and back to BA Club Europe).
Has anybody been able to obtain the missing TPs for such a situation? Or am I SOL?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If it is a QR booking, would it not be up to QR if they offered you original routing credit? BA will offer ORC on their own flights, but defer to partners I believe if not on BA codes.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
My only experience of ORC is in an IRROPS situation on AA flights. I raised it with BAEC and they dealt with AA who approved the claim.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
My only experience of ORC is in an IRROPS situation on AA flights. I raised it with BAEC and they dealt with AA who approved the claim.
AA are known to approve ORC claims. QR I am not sure about.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I guess once I've flown, I will raise the issue and see what BAEC says. I will update with my experience. Fundamentally, this loss delays my renewing gold status and my long march towards GGL!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Now I have read your specific case I am not sure this would qualify as IRROPS. In the same way that a timing change may induce a route change months out on AA this seems very similar - and under those circumstances you wouldn't normally get ORC.

ORC is really meant for re-routes during a trip caused by the usual issues of delays and cancellations, it isn't meant to cover re-routes of a trip where that happens some time before.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:07 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
So QR changed your CAI-DOH-LHR to just the CAI-LHR flight on BA ? is that what they did ?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
So QR changed your CAI-DOH-LHR to just the CAI-LHR flight on BA ? is that what they did ?
No; They changed my CAI-DOH-BRU which is 200TPs each way to
BA CAI-LHR-BRU which is 180TPs each way.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I have not found much info on BA and original routing credit.
Does BA officially offer original routing credit in case of IRROPS?
My case is not an IRROPS per se, but has a similarity. Following the political issue between Qatar and other Gulf countries as well as Egypt, QR has changed my booking into a BA routing. Because of this new routing, I will get about the same number of Avios, but will lose 40TPs (2 times the downgrade from F on CAI-DOH and back to BA Club Europe).
Has anybody been able to obtain the missing TPs for such a situation? Or am I SOL?
I was granted Exec Club ORC for a QR flight (ticketed by QR) when I was rerouted onto Singapore Airlines. But it took contact with the helper on this forum to achieve it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

No; They changed my CAI-DOH-BRU which is 200TPs each way to
BA CAI-LHR-BRU which is 180TPs each way.
Mrs PtF and I have an identical QR F/J itinerary (CAI-DOH-BRU and return - purchased for GBP705) in late August, with an immediate connecting BA BRU-LHR flight.

Your post has got me wondering whether, if we were offered the same change as yourself, QR would allow us to drop the LHR-BRU flight and just fly CAI-LHR only; otherwise we'll be flying CAI-LHR-BRU-LHR .

To be honest I'm less worried about the prospect of potentially losing 100TPs (140 v 60+140+40) each way than the thought of flying BA's 787 rather than QR's 787 or 350 - in J BA don't even come close.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
in J BA don't even come close.
Really?! You've not said that before!

Although to be willing to add about 6 odd hours to your journey time and still have to fly Short Haul BA, you must truly love QR!

Edit- And at that price too probably worth it the extra time

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jun 13, 2017 at 5:52 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Really?! You've not said that before!

Although to be willing to add about 6 odd hours to your journey time and still have to fly Short Haul BA, you must truly love QR!

Edit- And at that price too probably worth it the extra time
Don't knock it until you've tried it! Looks like the OP also has a soft spot for QR. The desire to get from A to B in the shortest possible time isn't everyone's priority.

At the time of booking BA CAI-LHR-CAI CW was north of GBP1,500 v QR CAI-DOH-BRU-DOH-CAI at GBP700 (plus the minimal cost of BA BRU-LHR-BRU). Multiply that by two (wife and self) and I'm more than willing to spend a few extra hours travelling and save circa GBP1,500 on what is a leisure trip to the UK (timed for Eid al-Adha) experiencing what I believe to be a superior product. Amongst other considerations, and despite my earlier comments, 480TPs (QR/BA) v 280TPs (BA) is not without its advantages - unlike many here it saves me having to read the TP run thread.

Just two weeks ago Mrs PtF completed an 'emergency' BA CAI-LHR-CAI CW 787 journey - like me she thinks the 787 CW seats are rubbish (like sitting in a coffin) compared to QR's 787; and QR's A350 is even better in terms of seat quality and spaciousness (I won't even bore you further with other in-flight differences).

The thing is, I'm not the first person here to make similar comments; and I'm sure I won't be the last. If your preference is BA, good luck to you.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Mrs PtF and I have an identical QR F/J itinerary (CAI-DOH-BRU and return - purchased for GBP705) in late August, with an immediate connecting BA BRU-LHR flight.
You paid too much! Mine only cost £620 at the time of purchase!

On the other hand, you are right about priorities. QR's product is far superior and I was looking forward to using their STPC on the way back. I've never had a chance to take advantage of it yet.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

You paid too much! Mine only cost £620 at the time of purchase!
I just double-checked - our QR F/J CAI-DOH-BRU-DOH-CAI itineraries, purchased in mid-January, were actually GBP575 per person (I got confused with my forthcoming QR F/J CAI-DOH-MNL-DOH-CAI itinerary, which was GBP705).

That's 800 TPs for less than GBP1,300 to places I actually want to travel to, as opposed to having to perform a time and money-consuming Tier Point run to somewhere I have no real need to visit. And people still wonder why it sometimes make more sense to fly 'A' to 'B' via 'C', rather than fly direct from 'A' to 'B'.

On the other hand, you are right about priorities. QR's product is far superior ...
Don't say that too loudly on this forum; it upsets the natives!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
it upsets the natives!
The natives are also wondering why there only ever seems to be about 2 degrees of separation (at most) between any OP topic, whatever it happens to be, and regression to the same discussion by the same posters of QR J .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.