Search

QF/EK Tier point confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
QF/EK Tier point confusion

Hi Guys,

Im booked onto a QF flight ZQN-LHR in a month or so. There is a better option using EK metal, if booked through QF with a QF flight number will I earn Avios/TP's and also will I have lounge access still on layovers?

I have read a few threads online and I think it would be fine for earning as the flight is booked through QF with their flight number, not sure about lounge access though...

Cheers!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You are probably best to review this thread since it has all the main links running from it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...questions.html

In essence you should be OK for TPs and Avios. For lounges there are some constraints but without knowing your route and cabin class it's tricky to give specific advice. Your profile indicates you are BA Gold, that doesn't necessarily give you lounge access if on EK metal.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
If you are flying on a QF ticket in Economy you will not get lounge access in the UK or in Dubai. You will get lounge access living Australia if you have a BA silver and above and on a QF ticket.

If you are on an EK ticket then no lounge access without EK status.

Also, I got hassled by the EK staff at Glasgow. It was conflicting info and Qantas said they were wrong but "this " is something to beware of.

BA silver gets extra baggage allowance on a QF ticket. However, at GLA the EK staff said I would only get that if I got me OW status with Qantas. My opinion and that of Qantas is..... my contract is with Qantas and they say I am allowed a certain weight in hold on a QF ticket (irrespective of the metal).... and the QF contract with EK says QF rules should be honoured on EK metal.

Fortunately I anticipated this scenario and had only 27kg of hold luggage in total (2 bags) but my cabin bag was 9kg (basically a bag with laptop, iPad and one shirt etc in case of lost luggage) and this was 2kg over. They even said "if your bag (Briggs and Riley verb tote) is too heavy, you can bin it and buy a cloth bag from over there. I then asked for a supervisor and got it sorted.

EK in economy has better seats and screens and food than BA but, I will never fly with them because I can't risk this type of scenario (I even had a pdf on my iPAD with the rules).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops

BA silver gets extra baggage allowance on a QF ticket. However, at GLA the EK staff said I would only get that if I got me OW status with Qantas. My opinion and that of Qantas is..... my contract is with Qantas and they say I am allowed a certain weight in hold on a QF ticket (irrespective of the metal).... and the QF contract with EK says QF rules should be honoured on EK metal..
The economy allowance for QF is 30Kg. There is no additional allowance for those with BA status. The agent was correct that only those with EK or QF status get additional allowance

Lounge access is available for those with Gold or higher status with Qantas or Emirates. Again, BA status has no impact

The one case where a BA is entitled to lounge access (based on status) to an EK lounge is when travelling on QF marketed and operated flight departing Dubai

OW Lounge access and additional baggage allowance applies when departing on a flight both marketed by and operated by a one world carrier - a QF codeshare on EK does not meet this criterion
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The economy allowance for QF is 30Kg. There is no additional allowance for those with BA status. The agent was correct that only those with EK or QF status get additional allowance
Not according to Qantas in Melbourne and Sydney. But the cabin bag allowance it is still a deal breaker for me. Thankfully I have choices. Staff were great on the plane mind you. Really smiley etc.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks guys, Im going to stick with the slightly longer routing on Qantas metal for the lounge access and also extra baggage allowance on my return leg is actually essential (need to bring a snowboard out to NZ!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.