Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any cheap ex-EU WT+ destinations to the USA at present?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Been looking at a little jaunt to the east coast of the US later in the year.
Going to book WT+ and hopefully use a GUF or something.

I know ex-Sweden is usually cheap and it's coming in at around £690. Same with Oslo.
Ex-CPH is anything from £620 upwards.

Anything I've looked at that is priced in € is coming in at 1000-1200.

Prices aren't quite the £470 I was paying earlier in the year but are there any places that are cheaper than the above prices?
I know also from TP runs that sometimes specific German, Italian, Bulgaria etc. cities have good deals.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have you looked exJER

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/?f=...2772;sc=p;eo=e

Had my eye on this or similar as have an extended GUF2 to use be 30/06
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Have you looked exJER

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/?f=...2772;sc=p;eo=e

Had my eye on this or similar as have an extended GUF2 to use be 30/06
Over £800 where I want to go. NE USA i.e. BOS, NYC.

Got to factor in LGW-LHR transfers and the possibility of fog at JER as well.

Could offset the costs by blowing 40k Avios (25 after earnings) to save up to £300 I suppose. Can get ZUR-BOS for around £391 by doing that.

Cheapest so far is SOF-BOS for around £606 / €697.
OSL around £609.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 11, 2017 at 2:13 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:06 am

Seen a few mentions of Ex-Inverness on here- but one flight a day to Heathrow makes this one a bit tricky
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
https://goo.gl/flights/QZa9

£593 TLL-JFK via LHR (no HEL connection) for some random dates in October
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:37 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by xenole
Over £800 where I want to go. NE USA i.e. BOS, NYC.
If you're based in LON or even UK, is it worth doing ex-EU WT+ which would easily double your journey time and you'd spend a similar time in shorthaul economy to position compared to flying direct to BOS/NYC in WT?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
If you're based in LON or even UK, is it worth doing ex-EU WT+ which would easily double your journey time and you'd spend a similar time in shorthaul economy to position compared to flying direct to BOS/NYC in WT?
Well, I'm cheap and sometimes time rich
A lot of the fares are £800-£1000 from the UK / EU so I'm happy to save £200-£400 by having a jaunt somewhere.

eg. All the same dates and flight times.
LHR-BOS in WT+ is £1024
CPH-LHR-BOS in WT+ is £620
LHR-BOS in WT (same flight times) is around £700 / £554 cheapest.
CPH-LHR-BOS in WT is around £396.

Was considering something like CPH as I could, at the very least, get the first flight there and have a 6hr or so layover. Easy enough to pop into the city for 3-4hrs, do a couple of touristy things / lunch.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by xenole
Was considering something like CPH as I could, at the very least, get the first flight there and have a 6hr or so layover. Easy enough to pop into the city for 3-4hrs, do a couple of touristy things / lunch.
I like doing it so you have an early-ish flight out (not too early!) and a nice day in the European city with lunch and maybe an early dinner, then back to London on an evening flight, then home to sleep in your own bed before the long-haul the next day.

You have to book it as "multi-city" but as long as the stopover in London is less than 24 hours it will price just fine, and is a lot more relaxing (depending where your base is in the UK).
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
I like doing it so you have an early-ish flight out (not too early!) and a nice day in the European city with lunch and maybe an early dinner, then back to London on an evening flight, then home to sleep in your own bed before the long-haul the next day.

You have to book it as "multi-city" but as long as the stopover in London is less than 24 hours it will price just fine, and is a lot more relaxing (depending where your base is in the UK).
There's a "more flights" option in small writing at the bottom of the list of flights that shows me overnight stopovers in London. Adds about £300 to the price though (<24hrs as flight arrives at say 8:30pm, connection at 11:30am)
Done that for nothing extra on the return so I can pick checked bags up in London before going home.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Its swings and roundabouts, really. Sometimes you can save by mixing up days, sometimes it will be more, but you won't be paying extra for a different ticketing class/rules.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Seen a few mentions of Ex-Inverness on here- but one flight a day to Heathrow makes this one a bit tricky
I've just booked this (but in J, UUA to F, rather than WT+). Planning to check my bag in for the TATL flight before I head to INV and back, back to back. Then on the way back I'm getting a very late flight so that I can head to INV the day after arriving back, but still within 24 hours of arrival. It was c. £1,200 INV - LHR - JFK - LHR - INV and I had £100 off with my BA card. Not the rates of a few years ago, but in the current climate I'll take it!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Try DUS. Found a whole load of sub-£700 fares to the West Coast for the Xmas period (planned to GUF2 to J, but now looking at ex-DUB in J for £1500 and GUF2 to F!), would imagine it's cheaper to the East Coast.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Going to see if I can find an overnight flight on the outbound.
The Boston airport Hilton is $295 the night I arrive and I'm thinking some very naughty words to describe that price (never seen it below £220 when I'm there even during snowy off seasons).
Can book a pre-paid saver rate at a LHR Premier Inn from £29.99 (£88 for the Garden Inn) so obviously would rather stay there overnight, fly to Boston, pick up my car and drive the 1h30 down to Cape Cod.

Added: Good idea that works via multi-city (checked prices first) except if I stay overnight on Thursday, the first flight to BOS at 11:15am is £400 more. Evening flights are far cheaper.
i.e. 2600 Vs. 6600 Danish Krona.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 11, 2017 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Planning to check my bag in for the TATL flight before I head to INV and back, back to back.
Good luck with that. FLY doesn't allow it by default, so you need an agent who knows how to do it still, and is willing to do so.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
Good luck with that. FLY doesn't allow it by default, so you need an agent who knows how to do it still, and is willing to do so.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've done it before, but possibly pre-FLY. I guess at worst I can leave at left luggage and check in when I return from INV, although that would be a real pain. Best get to the airport early.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.