BA Marked or Operated Question

Old Jun 10, 17, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
BA Marked or Operated Question

Hey all,

I'm trying to earn elite status on BA and have a question regarding flight eligibility. I have a r/t flight booked in J on AA (MXP-JFK-LAX-JFK-MXP) which would should, in theory, allow me enough tier points to at least reach bronze. I know that there is also a minimum threshold of 2 flights that need to be marked or operated by BA. Flights AA 199 and 198 are in codeshare with BA (i looked this up and saw that they are bookable with a BA flight number), but when i booked the flights last month, i booked them as part of an AA itinerary (and hence do not have a physical BA flight number in my itinerary).

does anyone know if these 2 flights would allow me to fulfill the "2 flights operated or marked by BA" criterion, or if i need to book 2 additional legs on BA metal in order to be in the clear?
Old Jun 10, 17, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
Hey all,

I'm trying to earn elite status on BA and have a question regarding flight eligibility. I have a r/t flight booked in J on AA (MXP-JFK-LAX-JFK-MXP) which would should, in theory, allow me enough tier points to at least reach bronze. I know that there is also a minimum threshold of 2 flights that need to be marked or operated by BA. Flights AA 199 and 198 are in codeshare with BA (i looked this up and saw that they are bookable with a BA flight number), but when i booked the flights last month, i booked them as part of an AA itinerary (and hence do not have a physical BA flight number in my itinerary).

does anyone know if these 2 flights would allow me to fulfill the "2 flights operated or marked by BA" criterion, or if i need to book 2 additional legs on BA metal in order to be in the clear?
You must be booked on the BA codeshare for the flights to count as your two eligible flights. That BA offers a codeshare on that route is not enough.
Old Jun 10, 17, 5:55 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Afraid not. It would need to be booked a BA codeshare ticket to count, not just be on a flight which has a codeshare.

If it is any consolation, you almost certainly wouldn't have been able to book them as BA codeshares anyway. You would only have been able to do so in conjunction with a transatlantic flight with BA (or possibly a transatlantic joint business venture airline), but not on an all North American itinerary, or connecting from Italy on AA.
Old Jun 10, 17, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
ok thanks everyone for the incredibly quick response. i guess ill book a quick flight from mxp-lhr and back for 100/150 euros before the end of the year in order to reach the 2 flight threshold.
Old Jun 10, 17, 6:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by Pumplekin View Post
Afraid not. It would need to be booked a BA codeshare ticket to count, not just be on a flight which has a codeshare.

If it is any consolation, you almost certainly wouldn't have been able to book them as BA codeshares anyway. You would only have been able to do so in conjunction with a transatlantic flight with BA (or possibly a transatlantic joint business venture airline), but not on an all North American itinerary, or connecting from Italy on AA.
You almost certainly can do that - either BA flight numbers all the way, or BA on the transatlantic flights.

OP, Iberia flights work too, so if MXP/LIN-MAD and back is cheaper (or you prefer MAD!) go for that.
Old Jun 10, 17, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Does IB charge YQ on transatlantic flights like BA?
Old Jun 10, 17, 6:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Very little - for optimal savings, send your Avios to IB+ and redeem from there, I believe you require fewer Avios too.
Old Jun 10, 17, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Very little - for optimal savings, send your Avios to IB+ and redeem from there, I believe you require fewer Avios too.
Sorry for not explaining myself well! I meant revenue tickets not redemption tickets?

Search this Thread