To Japan - First Inbound or Outbound

Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:01 am
Original Poster

To Japan - First Inbound or Outbound

Similar to this thread but in the other direction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-inbound.html

Me and my other half are planning to visit Japan next year, we depart EDI - LHR - HND and I have a 2 for 1 voucher and enough Avios for 1 way in first and 1 way in club but not sure which way to go.

I will be a BA Gold member at the time so will be able to use the First Class lounge at Heathrow regardless.

Outbound routing is:
0655 - 0740 EDI - LHR BA 1435
1140 - 0715 LHR - HND BA 0007

Inbound routing is:
0850 - 1310 HND - LHR BA 0008
1725 - 1850 LHR - EDI BA 1454

I can easily take different flights from/to Edinburgh but wanted to make time to explore the lounges.

So, questions:
1. First class inbound or outbound considering I can use the First Class Galleries lounge because of status anyway?

2. If First outbound, is 3 hours long enough for the Concorde room without feeling rushed? Is breakfast any good at the Concorde room?

3. What is the optimum transfer time - ie: how much time would you want to spend in 1) Galleries First vs 2) Concorde Room
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'd go F on the inbound given that it's a day flight and you'd be able to take fuller advantage of the F experience. You can still use the CCR before your connecting flight to Edinburgh - maybe book a cabana to take a nap and have a shower. With the length of flight from Tokyo, you can still get onboard, eat, watch a movie, have some drinks, have a decent nap and then eat again before landing.

CCR breakfast is slightly better than the FLounge but bear in mind that you can also order items off the FLounge menu rather than sticking to what is served from the hot buffet. (albeit a smaller choice than what you get in the CCR).

CW bed is fine (imo) and I have no issues sleeping in it and I'd be happy to do it on the outbound sector. After a few drams, you'll have no problem sleeping on the overnight flight!

If you did decide to do F on the outbound, 3 hours is a perfect amount of time in the CCR. It is, after all, just a glorified waiting room!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Both LH sectors are day flights so sleeping in either direction, while I might do, it's just as likely I won't.

Oh - and inbound, I should aim for a shorter connection to Edinburgh?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The outbound is technically an overnight flight and one of the worst timed flights to get to Asia... I'd plan your time on it carefully to minimise jetlag.

I'd also do the return - longer flight, more time to enjoy it, meals, drinks, movies, sleep, repeat... and I prefer the lunch/dinner service in the CCR. Also gives you something to look forward to!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I recently did an ex-AMS J return to Tokyo but had UUA to F on the inbound leg however also upgraded with cash on the outbound (787) for a good price in the lounge (after a few drinks and to get over the stress of KLM losing my bags on the MME>AMS leg - the pitfalls of a ex-EU!).

Managed a good amount of sleep both ways (helped by numerous LPGCs and JW Blues of course) and I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be upon arrival in Tokyo.

Personally I'd also chose the return - I managed to book a spa treatment which is just what I needed after a pretty hedonistic week in Tokyo and the long flight, and the CCR was reasonably quiet so sat out on the terrace with some soft drinks and ordered a cheeseboard.

Although it was nice to have my first 787 experience on the outbound.

(No Liberty washbags either way though (I flew out to NRT and back from HND) so will be interested to hear if you have the same experience).

Whatever you choose though I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Your sleeping strategy may be different to mine, but i did those same flights over Easter and made sure to get 4 hours in each direction. If you are like me, then you would get slightly more out of it by going First on the outbound because of CCR access. Otherwise i agree that first on the return would make more sense as the CCR isn't all that. On the return you will have access to the truly excellent JAL first class lounge at HND as a gold anyway. I got there at 06:25 and was virtually the first person there.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kleaver
Your sleeping strategy may be different to mine, but i did those same flights over Easter and made sure to get 4 hours in each direction. If you are like me, then you would get slightly more out of it by going First on the outbound because of CCR access. Otherwise i agree that first on the return would make more sense as the CCR isn't all that. On the return you will have access to the truly excellent JAL first class lounge at HND as a gold anyway. I got there at 06:25 and was virtually the first person there.
Am I not correct in saying as an Inbound First I can still access the CCR lounge on the inbound during the wait to the EDI flight?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Am I not correct in saying as an Inbound First I can still access the CCR lounge on the inbound during the wait to the EDI flight?
Yes you will exactly same idea I am doing on way back from JFK in F
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would probably do F inbound also.

The JAL F loung in Haneda is very good ( it was busy in January when I was there around 730am ( when the BA flight to LHR left at 0950)

The Cathay lounge at HND was very good and empty when I popped in for a few minutes enroute to the gate)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Done this flight at least every few months for the last few years and agree inbound. Outbound is a tough one as if you don't get your head down around 4 hours into the flight makes the next day very tough. Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Done this flight at least every few months for the last few years and agree inbound. Outbound is a tough one as if you don't get your head down around 4 hours into the flight makes the next day very tough. Thanks
Useful to know thanks - that makes me think an early start in Edinburgh is probably better as well - make myself suitably tired for 4 hours in.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Funnily enough I just booked F both ways BA5/6 for GoldenWeek 2018 (Mayish).

If I had to choose J it would be for the outbound - making sure to get a window seat as I like to sleep on the way out. At least 8hrs. F is better bed, but J is fine on the 787 especially. (Just get extra blankets & pillows. I would then enjoy the food and the ambience on teh way back - which is a day flight.

If you are not Gold, then you will lose the F lounge outbound, so you might go outboaund F to get teh CCR & lounge. Teh JAL 1st Class in NRT or HND are excellent.

Maybe flip a coin... or look at which seats free before you book!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Both LH sectors are day flights so sleeping in either direction, while I might do, it's just as likely I won't.

Oh - and inbound, I should aim for a shorter connection to Edinburgh?
No - I think your connection time to Edinburgh is just fine. Enjoy!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I found this route brutal for jet lag. Getting sleep both ways, in particular outbound, is very desirable. I would choose the inbound in F, something to look forward to.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC
My preference would always be to upgrade the outbound if going on holiday. I don't generally drink on the return, as I always have one eye on going back to work. I have no experience of the route but, given the information, I'd stick with this way of doing things personally.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.