FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Exit row (30) on 789 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1847326-exit-row-30-789-a.html)

cubedweller Jun 10, 2017 3:49 am

Exit row (30) on 789

Hi friends,
Heading to SJC on Friday on the 279. Currently in Y but flight looks pretty empty so hoping for an AUP opportunity...

BUT until then...

Have any of you sat in Row 30, the exit row? Mixed reviews on SeatGuru, claims of missing window in A and K.

Thoughts?

nux Jun 10, 2017 3:58 am

There is no window due to the exit door, which also infringes into the space of 30 A/K.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...787-8-9-a.html

cpdc1030 Jun 10, 2017 6:20 am

I flew in 30A on LHR-KUL two weeks ago. Overall I agree with the mixed reviews, the seat worked well for me but it might not for everyone else. I'm 6'3" and average in build.

Good:
-Near unlimited legroom, exit door did not impede on this so not sure why this is mentioned. You can actually prop your leg up on the door which I did for a while to stretch.
-No pax stepping on your feet waiting for the toilet (which happens in the aisle seat)
-Very little disruption from the toilet despite it being close by
-First served meals in the Y cabin
-Hard divider between seats means you don't feel the person next to you moving as much

The not so good:
-The seat is narrow. No way around it. I found it tolerable, but not comfortable. At times my shoulder hurt as I had it wedged against the cabin wall to give the person in the middle seat more space. However the extra legroom made it much better than a normal seat for me.
-The IFE screen on an arm stowed in the seat is OK, but I find with BA many times they are loose and you need to position them carefully or hold them continuously, otherwise the screen falls down.

If you are slim to average in build, the seat is fine. For those a bit larger, give the seat a miss.

cubedweller Jun 10, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 28425629)

That is a depressing read...but thank you.

cubedweller Jun 10, 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cpdc1030 (Post 28425871)
I flew in 30A on LHR-KUL two weeks ago. Overall I agree with the mixed reviews, the seat worked well for me but it might not for everyone else. I'm 6'3" and average in build.

Good:
-Near unlimited legroom, exit door did not impede on this so not sure why this is mentioned. You can actually prop your leg up on the door which I did for a while to stretch.
-No pax stepping on your feet waiting for the toilet (which happens in the aisle seat)
-Very little disruption from the toilet despite it being close by
-First served meals in the Y cabin
-Hard divider between seats means you don't feel the person next to you moving as much

The not so good:
-The seat is narrow. No way around it. I found it tolerable, but not comfortable. At times my shoulder hurt as I had it wedged against the cabin wall to give the person in the middle seat more space. However the extra legroom made it much better than a normal seat for me.
-The IFE screen on an arm stowed in the seat is OK, but I find with BA many times they are loose and you need to position them carefully or hold them continuously, otherwise the screen falls down.

If you are slim to average in build, the seat is fine. For those a bit larger, give the seat a miss.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm tall but not...wide, so I should be ok. I have a window seat at the moment (33A) but may move to 30A. REALLY hoping for an AUP to come up because they're currently asking £705 to go from WT to WT+. Not worth it, IMHO.

sunshinebob Jun 10, 2017 8:47 am

Sat in this seat going to KUL and for a fairly slimish guy with a tiny wife those seats are just too narrow (and rock hard) with the food tray in the armrest. I certainly will not be flying that far in that seat again. As a data point I flew 12 hours in row 26 (extra legroom) on a 777 to Mauritius last week and its MUCH bigger/better.

msm2000uk Jun 10, 2017 10:46 am

Flew back from TLV in Row 30, with 6 of my family-in-law across the 9 available seats - so I moved around.

The seat is noticeably narrower than a normal WT seat on the 789, but the legroom obviously makes up for it.

However, the more irritating element of the seat, is the proximity to the loos.

30ABC are more affected, as the door swings out - whereas 30HJK are on the other side, where the door is a slider. The slider is less invasive, but I could see it becoming irritating on a night-flight.

I have other comments, but most have been mentioned in other posts already.

M

ericw Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 28426486)
Flew back from TLV in Row 30, with 6 of my family-in-law across the 9 available seats - so I moved around.

The seat is noticeably narrower than a normal WT seat on the 789, but the legroom obviously makes up for it.

However, the more irritating element of the seat, is the proximity to the loos.

30ABC are more affected, as the door swings out - whereas 30HJK are on the other side, where the door is a slider. The slider is less invasive, but I could see it becoming irritating on a night-flight.

I have other comments, but most have been mentioned in other posts already.

M

I am facing the option of either 30F or all the way close to the end of the plane. Do you recall if the position of the bulkhead restricting how much I can stretch my legs?
I found the "extra legroom" mentioned on seatguru often refers to knee space, but sometimes it is worse if you want to stretch the legs.
Thanks.

msm2000uk Mar 14, 2019 1:22 am

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 30884944)
I am facing the option of either 30F or all the way close to the end of the plane. Do you recall if the position of the bulkhead restricting how much I can stretch my legs?
I found the "extra legroom" mentioned on seatguru often refers to knee space, but sometimes it is worse if you want to stretch the legs.
Thanks.

The bulkhead in 30F seemed to be ok, and I suppose worst case you can swing one leg slightly into the aisle.

M

sunshinebob Mar 14, 2019 2:25 am

Its really tight, its also a very hard seat and those two things combined made my mind up never to do a 787 in Y again. The leg room in row 30 is the saving grace and my only advice is to learn to eat one handed or choose a seat with no one seated on your "fork" side..

A P Yu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 am

Row 30 seats are really hard - so pack a cushion too

ericw Mar 14, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks guys - I opted for 30F and then realized BA didnt allow you to change seat after BP is issued...
I've only flown CW on BA 777s and 747s before, and I haven't stepped in a BA plane in almost a decade.
The only reason I am doing it in Y this time is because of an impulse buy during the 50% off avios WT promo last year:D

clubman Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am

Why are the seats in row 30 harder than the normal ones?

Woodbinerich Sep 1, 2019 1:07 am

I am in 30A (also my first WT experience!) today and umming and ahing about switching to 30B or an aisle.
In any case I will try to take a few snaps and update with some comments if i have anything to add to the above.

Woodbinerich Sep 1, 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 31478484)
I am in 30A (also my first WT experience!) today and umming and ahing about switching to 30B or an aisle.
In any case I will try to take a few snaps and update with some comments if i have anything to add to the above.

I got lured into a AUP so I won’t be reporting on this . 16a seems ok though!