Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Least satisfying Club World flight in 20 yrs [Ground experience]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Least satisfying Club World flight in 20 yrs [Ground experience]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There are talks here about going to Boots to buy one etc. but isn't carrying essential personal items what the hand luggage is for?

I can't see it somehow that those who dislike cheap disposable razors would appreciate the cheap disposable razors provided at most hotels so they must have one somewhere, maybe in their hand luggage or in their checked luggage?

My husband would not use a set of unfamiliar razors provided anywhere (even if they are relatively expensive or non-disposable ones) unless he is desperate, because he says he's prone to cutting himself if he doesn't use his regular ones, so his razor travels in his hand luggage. I assum quite a few men would do the same?

Unless I know I won't be at 5-star hotels, I never travel with razors or a toothbrush - I expect to have a toothbrush in the amenity kit on the plane. In Asia and the Middle East, toothbrush and toothpaste plus razor are generally in the bathroom. In Europe or Mexico, you can get them on request at no charge. It's one less thing to be seen in my hand luggage and delay me at security.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Unless I know I won't be at 5-star hotels, I never travel with razors or a toothbrush - I expect to have a toothbrush in the amenity kit on the plane. In Asia and the Middle East, toothbrush and toothpaste plus razor are generally in the bathroom. In Europe or Mexico, you can get them on request at no charge. It's one less thing to be seen in my hand luggage and delay me at security.
I'm the opposite. I prefer my own good quality toothbrush and toothpaste, and certainly I value shaving a lot (I think it is an important morning ritual) and have my own decent multi-bladed razor and shaving cream. Personally I wouldn't risk leaving it to rely on what a hotel or airline might provide, if possible.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Razors

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
The ones at the main showers in T5 were certainly BIC last month. I didn't dare use it...
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I forgot my razor recently and had the misfortune of using one of the nasty BIC razors given to me by the woman outside the CCR. It cut me so badly that I was refused my pre-booked facial treatment on account of the blood!
​​​​​​​Every time I am angry with myself for forgetting to bring a decent razor. The T5 things are very nasty indeed. Mr Cruz, if you are that stingy, will you at least sell me a decent razor for a pound?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't know about razors as I do not use them but I have not come across a toothbrush (or even toothpaste) at any hotel or airline that I like. Maybe I am rather fussy but I always travel with my electric toothbrush + a manual back-up, plus my own preferred toothpaste.

I've never been delayed at security because of them though, and I do not think my husband has ever been delayed because of his razors.

I certainly do not like the BA F toothbrush. It's simply too big. DR Harris one was even worse though - it was like a brush to clean suede shoes with, and far too large again, and very hard. I actually have lots of them in my household cleaning kit at home. (They're brilliant for cleaning little nooks and crannies.)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 11, 2017 at 2:42 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm the opposite. I prefer my own good quality toothbrush and toothpaste, and certainly I value shaving a lot (I think it is an important morning ritual) and have my own decent multi-bladed razor and shaving cream. Personally I wouldn't risk leaving it to rely on what a hotel or airline might provide, if possible.
I'm less fussy on both - but I'll use Crest or Colgate without prejudice - and I drink Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi -- I also don't care on my orange juice - with pulp or without. As mentioned, most 5-star hotels and even Hilton/Sheratons will give you a good razor. LH gives out decent razors (at least in F) in the lav - I usually take a couple in case I run into a laggard hotel.

I've never been delayed at security because of them though, and I do not think my husband has ever been delayed because of his razors.

I certainly do not like the BA F toothbrush. It's simply too big. DR Harris one was even worse though - it was like a brush to clean suede shoes with, and far too large again, and very hard. I actually have lots of them in my household cleaning kit at home.
Post 9-11 there was concern about razors - but I'm sure shoe bombs and now laptops have made that a thing of the past.

DR Harris!!! I remember an old boss loved those - every trip to London we would make a detour and he would buy me a handful.

It had a very British feel to get one in the amenity kit -- sort of like the amuse bouche and flower
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you saying the Club razors have been replaced?
Yes
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by brentford77
Yes
Thanks for confirming. I have to admit that I very, very rarely use the razors provided by airlines and hotels - emergency use only. I know new amenity packs are due in Club World in the near future. Personally. I think the razor could be removed from the pack and become an on request item - many airlines do this nowadays.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
lol yes, BIC razors always cut me!
I switched to Lidl disposable razors and they seem to be ok, as long as you use them only once and throw them away.

Perhaps BA can pass by Lidl and get their razors from there?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
The thread title is a little misleading and probably should have referenced the poor ground experiences.
Ha- from plenty of own experience, the on board service is usually not much better on BA. I'd say, the OP was lucky given the flight itself sounds pleasant!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Ultimately, if you are travelling in a premium cabin you expect certain standards. What is the point of BA providing lounges, razors, toothbrushes etc if they aren't of at least the quality expected for the ground services associated with a ground product. BA has managed to provide this service in the past, but ultimately is charging the same or greater prices for a lesser product whilst still trading on its quickly diminishing name of a premium airline. Whether everyone likes to use those products is a different story, but the quality should be reasonable regardless.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
I have not come across a toothbrush (or even toothpaste) at any hotel or airline that I like.
I was the same until I first found QR - I absolutely love the toothbrushes they give you onboard (though the ones they give you in the lounge in Doha aren't nice). So much so that they are now my travel toothbrush of choice wherever I go (and on whichever carrier).

I had a similarly unedifying view of razors until I was forced to try the one from the EK amenity kit (having managed to mislay mine in an airport lounge shower). A Truefitt & Hill "disposable". And Mon Dieu - hands down the best the best razor I've ever used, and again now my travel razor of choice. I actually feel it's a bit of a comedown now when I'm back home using the Gillette that lives in the shower!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Haven't used one of those BIC disposables since I was a teenager and barely had anything to shave off. Can only imagine what damage they would do to my face now that I have a bit of growth on it. I'm not certain but I think they are around £1 for a pack of 4 or 5 in Poundland. No expense spared clearly.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Ultimately, if you are travelling in a premium cabin you expect certain standards. What is the point of BA providing lounges, razors, toothbrushes etc if they aren't of at least the quality expected for the ground services associated with a ground product. BA has managed to provide this service in the past, but ultimately is charging the same or greater prices for a lesser product whilst still trading on its quickly diminishing name of a premium airline. Whether everyone likes to use those products is a different story, but the quality should be reasonable regardless.
Lol, then think of the "blanket" you are given in the CCR Cabana. A sad looking piece of kit anytime, but especially after just having left the luxurious duvet from a LH flight...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by C W
Amazing

Although in seriousness, I can't imagine why you don't carry your own razor. Any kind of disposable one sounds scary to me. Then again I got so sick of shaving twice a day to look presentable that I went and had it mostly removed.
OP did not appreciate the food in PHL or LHR....Should we start taking our ictuals too ?

You are forgetting a pocket comb, small shoe horn, etc ....
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I forgot my razor recently and had the misfortune of using one of the nasty BIC razors given to me by the woman outside the CCR. It cut me so badly that I was refused my pre-booked facial treatment on account of the blood!
Sorry but this has made me laugh out loud. That really true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.