GCH free seat selection on other bookings

Old May 29, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
If they're in gold-only seats, like the exit row, they will likely get moved. If they are in ordinary seats next to each other, I expect this will not be discovered.
And this, I think, is the issue for the OP. You're asking that they be seating in Row 30 on the 789, which is the exit row, which is reserved for elites until T-24. You're sitting in the row behind, so it's not like you are in the exit row next to them. I am going to bet this will cause computer issues
Old May 29, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
If they're in gold-only seats, like the exit row, they will likely get moved. If they are in ordinary seats next to each other, I expect this will not be discovered.

There is not, as far as I can tell, some sort of seat-disorganiser to pessimise seating for people who haven't paid. This isn't Ryanair you're flying. There is only a check, every so often, that people sitting in exit rows or row 1 have either paid, or are Gold(-equivalent), or associated with Gold(-equivalent) person and they get moved to a random other seat if they're not.

If you cancel close to departure, this probably won't be discovered in time and they'll probably keep their seats even if they lack the Gold(-equivalent) association.
Many thanks for the response. At the moment they are on avios tickets (first time in club) while I am on J ticket which will more than likely be moved around. Just thought would be nice for them to be on upper deck. While give it a go with non-exits and see if it sticks. If not, no biggie.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
For the specific case of the 747 upper deck, other rows that the exit row are still very nice. Better to be upstairs in any seat than downstairs.

Row 60 on the upper deck is quite nice, and I don't think it is reserved for Gold-equivalent status. I expect they'd stick there even if you moved to a different flight.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I expect they'd stick there even if you moved to a different flight.
Do you have any particular experience/reason to expect this? I have not been in that situation so cannot speak from experience, however, the closest situation I can think of is people who book given seats due to status and then lose the status before their flights, and in such context, we know that a significant proportion of them (though by all means not all) end up losing their assigned seat any random point. I would personally expect the situation to be more or less comparable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.