Search

T5 > T3 Landside Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
T5 > T3 Landside Connection

Hello all -

I am connecting from T5 to T3 at LHR tomorrow, arriving on the BA1395 from MAN (sched arrival 1505) and departing on the 275 to LAS at 1640.

I would ordinarily go through the FCC but would like to arrange for a courier to meet me in T3 departures with a package I need before travelling to LAS.

Assuming the MAN flight arrives on time or thereabouts, is doing this transfer landside a possibility? I am travelling HBO and will have already checked in to the LAS flight, so am hoping that a conservative 35 minute transfer from jet bridge to T3 gives me 25-30 minutes to rendez-vous with the courier and make it through security before heading to the gate.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT.

Yes that's fine. Just follow the signs for arrivals instead on getting to T5.

To head over to T3 use the tube (requires oyster/contactless credit card) or HEX (no card required). Both tube and HEX are free.

In terms of time you have plenty with a 3hr 35min connection.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you KARFA, though just to be clear the connection time is 1h35m - still possible?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Yes, it should be fine. I've done a similar connection several times. MAN-LHR, go landside at T5, take HEX (or tube) to T3/T2, usually stop to get currency at the ICE booth at the top of the LHR T3/T2 Underground station, then back through security in T3 for a flight.

Most recently I did this with similar connection times to yourself: landed LHR from MAN at 1520, had time for the above, plus half an hour in the lounge, before the long walk to the AA boarding gates for 1715 departure.

Fast-track at T3 helps, as does knowing the route well, as does brisk walking, although none of these are essential to make the connection work.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM
It'll be very tight. Definitely wouldn't bet on 25-30 minutes with the courier, more like 5.

It is doable I think, but tight. You will need to hustle out of T5 - get the HEX (or tube if you have an oyster card handy), I usually take the HEX. Remember, if you've just missed a HEX, you have a 15 minute wait, then a 4 minute travel.

Then up from there, meet courier, get up to security and through there (ideally with Fastrack).

Finally, you need to get to the gate. My experience is the LAS flight is usually a good 10 minute walk (at pace) from the shop areas.

Considering boarding will start say 40-45 minutes before take-off - you can see how tight time will be.

Good luck!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mekko
Thank you KARFA, though just to be clear the connection time is 1h35m - still possible?
Oh sorry, yes 1hr 35mins. Yes you should be fine but it it is tight as noted by Irubi. In your favour there is no comformance at T3 so (unlike T5) it isn't essential that you get to security by T -35 mins.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like at least 2+ hrs for T5-T3 - allows for smoke breaks and also the very long walks from tube to check in at T3. Also, you can off peak wait 10-13 mins for a tube if you're unlucky - unless this is the other way around?! Check whether the next available is HEX or Tube depending on the time you get to T5 tube
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, looks like it can be done assuming the inbound is on time.

As a thought - do you think it's easier to meet the courier (given he may need to wait 20-30 mins as it would be prudent to have him there early) at T5 arrivals or T3 departures? My thinking is the latter as at least if I am in T3 I am not at the mercy of just missing a train and will have more visibility on when I need to go through security...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I'e done this from a MAN-T5 flight to a T3 AA flight to LAX and from pulling up at the gate to sitting in the CX lounge was 25 minutes, and very little walking.

Being domestic the flight does in at North A gates and you can walk straight out to HEX lifts - I knew I had 7 minutes from the plane doors opening to the scheduled departure and thought I wouldn't make it, but it was actually not uncomfortable. I was in J for both flights and so had Fasttrack at T3.

If I had missed the HEX and gone for the tube I reckon it could have stretched to 40 minutes. If Fasttrack had been bad as well then 50 minutes? If your courier were slow or unreliable, then I think you're probably still at 60 minutes worst case - with 35 minutes to board - phew!

Of course, I have no idea how long FCC would have taken, but the landside route was very easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.