FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Super-J 747 WT - Row 40 A-C bulkhead recommended? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1846740-super-j-747-wt-row-40-c-bulkhead-recommended.html)

Ldnn1 Jun 6, 2017 3:51 pm

Super-J 747 WT - Row 40 A-C bulkhead recommended?

As per the title, can anyone recommend / warn against row 40 A-C on the refurbed 747?

In particular are IFE screen and tables on the wall or flip from (immovable) armrests? And is legroom good?

Otherwise any other recommendations? Thanks.

[Mods please feel free to merge into master thread in due course - had a quick search and couldn't find recent answer there]

PETER01 Jun 6, 2017 4:28 pm

Hopefully Can I help you will be along shortly. I'm pretty sure the bulkhead is still there and the IFE screens are in the arm rests as well as the tray tables and here is a video showing the old cabin @ 8:40 showing 40 ABC.

I'm actually on a Super 86J on Thursday and in Y so I was always planning to take quite a few photos across the cabin as there does seem to be a lack of them so I will add them to this thread or if it is merged (which I think it will be)

So we're now T-36 hours if you can wait and I'll post them then :)

Pete

albpenny Jun 6, 2017 4:31 pm

What route? (Out of interest)

Ldnn1 Jun 6, 2017 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 28411834)
I'm actually on a Super 86J on Thursday and in Y so I was always planning to take quite a few photos across the cabin as there does seem to be a lack of them so I will add them to this thread or if it is merged (which I think it will be)

So we're now T-36 hours if you can wait and I'll post them then :)

I'm actually flying Friday night (to JFK) so if you can have your interim report on my desk by COB Thurs in time for online check-in, that'd be ideal... ;)

PETER01 Jun 6, 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28411863)
I'm actually flying Friday night (to JFK) so if you can have your interim report on my desk by COB Thurs in time for online check-in, that'd be ideal... ;)

OK boss, no problem boss :p

I'll post them on boarding so you can physically see them. It is a bassinet row I believe.

Here is a 86J row 40 ABC @ 3:12. I don't think you can stretch right out but not far off it and yes there are solid fixed arm rests

19:22 for leg room.

Permission to go to the rest room now boss? :D

apollo00 Jun 6, 2017 4:50 pm

IFE and tables are in the armrests, legroom is OK but not spectacular. Toilets aren't directly adjacent which is nice but on the other hand there are bassinets and they're invariably in use.

Crew also seem to serve that cabin food from the rear forwards and are inconsistent about asking GCHs etc if they have a preference, so you may end up with vegetarian pasta if you don't get a good crew or ask for something specific...

My view is it's still about the best of an uninspiring choice in Y on the 86J planes...

Ldnn1 Jun 6, 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 28411881)
Permission to go to the rest room now boss? :D

As long as you clock out, of course. :)

Thanks for the vids. Always a tough call with the extra legroom vs armrest IFE trade-off.

Currently a few rows back which I'm minded to keep. Also travelling with someone so ideal would be to nab a spare middle, which is less likely in row 40 I think. Flight looks quiet in WT. Hmmm...

PETER01 Jun 6, 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28411917)
As long as you clock out, of course. :)

Thanks for the vids. Always a tough call with the extra legroom vs armrest IFE trade-off.

Currently a few rows back which I'm minded to keep. Also travelling with someone so ideal would be to nab a spare middle, which is less likely in row 40 I think. Flight looks quiet in WT. Hmmm...

Of course. ;)

Yes no 'fantastic' seats in Y, it is what it is, but if you can get row 40 and hopefully no babies then that's probably as good as it gets. Are there no pairs at the back? 52 in my humble opinion are great for pairs. Or row 39 which are exits.

Ldnn1 Jun 6, 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 28411928)
Of course. ;)

Yes no 'fantastic' seats in Y, it is what it is, but if you can get row 40 and hopefully no babies then that's probably as good as it gets. Are there no pairs at the back? 52 in my humble opinion are great for pairs. Or row 39 which are exits.

39JK, 40 and 52 are all available (to me at least as SCH - my friend on different PNR has no status so don't know what she'll see at OLCI).

Would go for 52 but as arriving late would prefer not to be that far back so we can get out asap. Are 39JK good? Risk of being bumped out with the bassinets I guess.

Originally Posted by apollo00 (Post 28411902)
Crew also seem to serve that cabin food from the rear forwards and are inconsistent about asking GCHs etc if they have a preference, so you may end up with vegetarian pasta if you don't get a good crew or ask for something specific

Thanks for that. Part of the sway for row 40 was the assumption it gets served first, so that strikes that out.

PETER01 Jun 6, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28411951)
39JK, 40 and 52 are all available (to me at least as SCH - my friend on different PNR has no status so don't know what she'll see at OLCI).

Would go for 52 but as arriving late would prefer not to be that far back so we can get out asap. Are 39JK good? Risk of being bumped out with the bassinets I guess.

Not sure if 39K has a slight door intrusion, sure it's a bulkhead but otherwise can stretch out a bit. I would be sure BA will be charging for them until OLCI. Of course any connecting passengers may snap them up before your friend gets there.

If row 52 is available and your friend is willing to pay then they really are great seats and if you hotfoot it out to immigration you'd definitely bypass many. I'm in row 52 on Thursday and have been there quite a few times before.