Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs AA/Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

BA vs AA/Delta

Opinions needed -
I am booking a flight (LHR-PHL in Y) in Sept. Whilst before, I would only really consider BA, I have the option of AA and Delta. At present the costs are too high to purchase the tickets but I am looking at options.

Delta seems to have the worst reviews but has anyone flown AA recently? The last AA flight I took was over 8 years ago from DFW-LHR and didn’t even have personal entertainment systems.

I flew BA PHL-LHR and thought the product was ok but the “breakfast” was pathetic.

Has anyone recently flown long haul on AA in Y or Delta? AA would be an A330.. does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by MiraculousM; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:09 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You start by mentioning Y then in the last sentence J so I'm going you are asking about J rather than Y.

I had no issues with either airline and if push comes to shove I would preference DL over AA over VS* over BA. That covers the seat and on board service including IFE and food.

* yes I know VS don't fly your route but that's how I would rate them in the scheme of things.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
This really depends what features you are looking for and what's important to you. Feel free to provide further details along with the clarification requested above and then we can be of more help.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:02 am

If AA is on the A330 (which it should to PHL) I would take them in Y over BA.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Another vote for AA if in Y. Haven't flown DL but this route is a 757, no? So I'd go on the AA A330 for the more spacious feel. The IFE is good and I'd rate the AA food (quantity and quality) ahead of BA although that's subjective.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Yeah its Y. Sorry.

I dont really expect much from Y. i would like to be able to watch a few films, book an aisle seat when i check in online and basically be as comfortable as possible (and get there on time haha) .. would i get that with AA?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:15 am

In Y it makes a world of difference to buy or buy-up to Economy Plus, Main Cabin Extra, or whatever they call it on which airline. The difference is about four extra inches of leg room, and that is huge in Y these days. These classes are not to be confused with Premium Economy as offered on some airlines.

The 757 is single aisle 3x3 and not good on long flights. A330 and B767 are double aisle with two seat units along the windows. This is good for a couple.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I've flown both AA and DL TATL in Y reasonably regularly over the last 5 years, always on wide-bodies so I can't comment about 757s.

They were both fine for Y. I had one experience with an old AA plane (767?) with no IFE; however that was 5 years ago. Hopefully there aren't too many around now.

I will second the point about going for Main Cabin Extra (AA) or Economy Comfort (DL) if you find regular Y seats tight. The extra legroom makes a noticeable difference to me.

Food was nothing out of the ordinary and the service was not bad by US standards. Ultimately it got me there at a price point I was happy with.

Given you're just going to the US East coast, I would probably just book on price.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
Is the flight you are looking at on a 757 on DL? I would have a preference for DL over AA generally, but if DL is 757 and AA is A330 take AA.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA
If you have no preference or status go with best for price and timing. The food served on either airlines will be basic airline quality so I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor. As the flight is only approx. 8 hours a movie or two would pass the time, so worth checking that DL have IFE on their 757.

My pref would be the AA 330 but only due to status benefits and getting MCE seats.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
LHR-PHL, I would choose AA. The A330's they fly is a 2-4-2 setup, so your odds of being able to get an aisle is fantastic. The in-seat IFE is good, the you do have to press fairly hard on the touch screen, but it works well and has good options.

BA I have only flow into JFK from LHR, so I can't say much about the 747 they flt to Philly. Depends on which configuration I guess.

Does DL even fly nonstop? I was under the impression DL does not have a nonstop LHR-PHL, so I am not sure why you would want them since it would require a layover no?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Jumping to AA or DL makes sense these days, since both still give seat assignments on long haul flights and BA doesn't without status/fee.

"Whilst before, I would only really consider BA"
If that means you have an Avios account, AA can credit towards that as a OneWorld partner, which is a reason to consider it over DL (even though they earn pittances in Y). Aside from that, I think SpinOn2 covered the rest of it.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by steviewire

My pref would be the AA 330 but only due to status benefits and getting MCE seats.
Besides exit row, to the former US 330s now have MCE? I would be surprised if they did. I've done the 330 in Y and J numerous times and it is a relatively-comfortable ride in back and plenty of IFE. Snag an exit row (for free if you have status, or pay for it if not) for extra leg room, but an aisle is always nice too!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Does DL even fly nonstop? I was under the impression DL does not have a nonstop LHR-PHL, so I am not sure why you would want them since it would require a layover no?
DL has a non-stop on a 757.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
Besides exit row, to the former US 330s now have MCE? I would be surprised if they did. I've done the 330 in Y and J numerous times and it is a relatively-comfortable ride in back and plenty of IFE. Snag an exit row (for free if you have status, or pay for it if not) for extra leg room, but an aisle is always nice too!
I was not meaning a separate cabin i.e. 777, the A330 has a few MCE or choice seats as you say exit row/bulkheads. Flown the LUS 330s via Philly and Charlotte numerous times and quite like both their J and Y products. Their IFE is starting to get tired, I have been unlucky and had a couple of sets that ae non-responsive even after a reset. More time to sleep I suppose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.