Free HEX upgrade for GGL

Old Dec 5, 17, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Sat in Biz First Monday morning with a standard GC, he glanced at the card and then scanned my barcode without a problem.
Old Dec 5, 17, 11:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I wrote to GGL asking that they clarify what the rules re discounted fares are and got a response indicating that the attendant may have been correct and the GGL agent promised to followup and come back with a definitive answer. That was over a week ago.
Old Dec 5, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
Tonight’s LHR>PAD HEX (Sunday 3rd) service was enforcing the GGL rule very strictly with 2 pax dispatched to standard class (that I saw) due to the lack of GGL status. The guard was very friendly about it and asked if he could show my card to one of the Gold members to demonstrate the required status, although he then did ask what GL stood for.
Further down the carriage there appeared to be a DYKWIA incident as a pax argued that due to a previous cancellation, standard class was full and he therefore had the right to sit in Business based on the premium fares they charge everybody!

Pilot37
I had a similar experience with strict enforcement. The guard said, "At last - someone with the correct card. I'm getting tired of telling those without the logo in the corner that they are not entitled to an upgrade, and then getting told I'm wrong and they will report me to BA".
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
On the Heathrow Express this evening the ticket inspector told a BA Gold Card passenger it must say GL on the card. He then said BA have told them to check and they said it should be a physical card shown.

He then said BA doesn't appear to have told its passengers that it's only GL cards but have told HEX.

Star Alliance Gold still gets you free upgrade.
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK View Post

He then said BA doesn't appear to have told its passengers that it's only GL cards but have told HEX.
I don't think BA ever told Gold card holders they were entitled to a HEX upgrade.

In fact a lot of GGL card holders didn't know/weren't told etc. I don't recall ever being told, although I never bothered to find out or paid any attention as I have Star gold cards anyway.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I don't believe BA told anyone. It just seemed to pop up on here one day then some GCHs got away with it, went public and the rest is history. If it's for GGL members only, HEX staff are quite right to crack down on it and people really are in no position to complain. It would be good to get some clarity on the types of tickets is applies to...
Old Dec 14, 17, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Guy opposite me today on Heathrow Express was told that the Star Alliance Gold upgrade offer has finished. Then the guard told me that my GGL card had the logo which they had been briefed they must now check for.
Old Dec 14, 17, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), EK Plat, TG*G
Same experience here. For the first time they specifically checked that the GGL logo was on the card. Happened a couple of times over the past two weeks, so they clearly have been briefed. The BA offer has always been open to GGL only, although in the past it seemed the staff was unaware of the difference between Gold and GGL.
Old Dec 14, 17, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I've used it twice in the past week and they barely checked my card.
Old Dec 14, 17, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA Premier, Marriott Platinum Premier+Ambassador, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
I've used it twice in the past week and they barely checked my card.
4 times a week ago and the same. (Although it was the virtual card accessible from the My Account page in the iPhone App.)
Old Dec 15, 17, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK View Post
On the Heathrow Express this evening the ticket inspector told a BA Gold Card passenger it must say GL on the card. He then said BA have told them to check and they said it should be a physical card shown.
Did the passenger get charged a 1st class upgrade or just asked to move?
Old Dec 15, 17, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
They usually are just asked to move. The last time I was on the train, last Friday, guy in fancy suit said "I'm gold" and inspector said "OK, that's fine". I am assuming that at least should not be happening

There was clearly a bit of over use happening, for sure. We'll see if it changes for real.
Old Dec 15, 17, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL, CCR; hhonors diamond; SPG LTG ; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion;
This evening a rather DYKWIA guy with an "ordinary" gold card was asked if he wanted to pay to upgrade. He started making a nuisance of himself saying that he had the same card as "him" [sic,meaning me]. I told him he didn't, rather forcefully, in order to help the very nice conductor who getting more flak than she deserved.

ETA: we were also using discounted tickets bought with my husband's network god card. This did not seem to be a problem.

Last edited by hsmall; Dec 16, 17 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 16, 17, 2:53 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by joelyp View Post
Guy opposite me today on Heathrow Express was told that the Star Alliance Gold upgrade offer has finished. Then the guard told me that my GGL card had the logo which they had been briefed they must now check for.
The *G offer still appears on their dedicated T2 website: Star Alliance - The way the earth connects. There was a short period around this time last year when it stopped operating for six days for re-negotiation, so it’s possible this has happened again and it will return.

I’m a relatively infrequent HEX user, but whenever I have I’ve never seen the First Class section remotely full - very often there’s only been a couple of other people in the carriage. Hardly anyone pays for the class of travel, so I’d have thought it was in the operator’s interest to strike a commercial deal which covered as many people as possible, if only to relieve the overcrowding problem in the standard carriages in order to continue to market the “exclusive” nature of the offering. Once you’ve paid 20 quid to stand for a 15 minute ride you’re not quite so likely to come back ...
Old Dec 16, 17, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
This morning the guard wasn't really bothered about checking my card (on my phone). Did gave a bonus as I bought my ticket just before I got on the train and the machine was only charging £15, not sure if there is a special offer on AT present that I hadn't noticed.

Search this Thread