Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free HEX upgrade for GGL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I often find standing room only in Business class on HEX during the week, and yet Standard always has seats.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I tried it for the first time a couple of days ago, just showed the e-card on the App and the guard (or whatever "customer facing" name they are called these days) merely glanced and moved on. As far as I could tell everyone else in the train compartment was a Star Gold, maybe one ticketed passenger in First.

I must admit i did feel a bit silly being in First for such a short trip, it's not the sort of thing I would do and I wouldn't normally waste time trying to find the right carriage. However HEX can get surprisingly full in Standard class (so the opposite to the earlier comments), I've always thought it somewhat scandalous that people sometimes have to stand on one of the most expensive rail services on the planet, so I guess being in First gives more room for everyone.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I tried it for the first time a couple of days ago, just showed the e-card on the App and the guard (or whatever "customer facing" name they are called these days) merely glanced and moved on. As far as I could tell everyone else in the train compartment was a Star Gold, maybe one ticketed passenger in First.

I must admit i did feel a bit silly being in First for such a short trip, it's not the sort of thing I would do and I wouldn't normally waste time trying to find the right carriage. However HEX can get surprisingly full in Standard class (so the opposite to the earlier comments), I've always thought it somewhat scandalous that people sometimes have to stand on one of the most expensive rail services on the planet, so I guess being in First gives more room for everyone.
Same, I used it last Sunday and this Tuesday.

Bought the standard class ticket, sat in Business First and showed my BA Gold card with the ticket. Just a glance, a thank you and that was it. No need to be GGL.

Globalist
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Are discounted tickets via network railcard valid too for this offer? I assume the staff won't care and it's the same as advanced fares, but the T&C are slightly opaque about it.

Carnet tickets are specifically listed but otherwise it just states that the ticket needs to be purchased "from heathrowexpress.com/avios, the Heathrow Express app, in stations or on board the train".
Originally Posted by BA6501
Worked last night for me.
Originally Posted by loungesnob
Worked yesterday and today for me too
i just got booted out of first because I used my railcard. Train supervisor said free upgrade was only available on non discounted tickets.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Moomba
i just got booted out of first because I used my railcard. Train supervisor said free upgrade was only available on non discounted tickets.
I've had this before. The Star Alliance upgrade offer does explicitly bar railcards but the GGL upgrade just says an Express class ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
On HEX right now using a 14 day advanced purchase saver ticket. Train staff just informed me that they have a new briefing that states that moving forward a standard ticket is now required in order to take advantage of gold card upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Christian K
On HEX right now using a 14 day advanced purchase saver ticket. Train staff just informed me that they have a new briefing that states that moving forward a standard ticket is now required in order to take advantage of gold card upgrade.
Good. And hopefully they stop mistaking GCHs for GGLs. The HEX first carriage is getting busy and it's mostly full of those who aren't supposed to be there. Once HEX realises that the offer is being abused, it will be removed as a benefit from those who are actually entitled to it.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Think they are tightening this up. Last week was told I couldn’t sit in first as a GCH, had to be a GGL. Had been having no issue for months prior to that. HEX is a complete scam anyway and the obscene fares and poor service (including use of 4 car trains which get rammed off-peak and especially Sundays) an embarrassment to London.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just tried it for the first time, and the ticket person looked confused...and just walked off!

I stayed in Business First and figured perhaps not all the staff are aware of the upgrade offer.

M
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what it's worth my wife (Gold) and I (GGL) had no issues using the offer last week. We had non-discounted express class return fares that we bought a few weeks prior to our journey.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Tonight’s LHR>PAD HEX (Sunday 3rd) service was enforcing the GGL rule very strictly with 2 pax dispatched to standard class (that I saw) due to the lack of GGL status. The guard was very friendly about it and asked if he could show my card to one of the Gold members to demonstrate the required status, although he then did ask what GL stood for.
Further down the carriage there appeared to be a DYKWIA incident as a pax argued that due to a previous cancellation, standard class was full and he therefore had the right to sit in Business based on the premium fares they charge everybody!

Pilot37
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Deleted
Dave_C and Deltus like this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; May 23, 2020 at 7:40 am
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
The HEX guard just now specifically checked my card for the GL logo and says I was the first person he saw with the right card - so they are definitely tightening up on this. He also asked me what one had to do to get one....
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Tonight’s LHR>PAD HEX (Sunday 3rd) service was enforcing the GGL rule very strictly with 2 pax dispatched to standard class (that I saw) due to the lack of GGL status. The guard was very friendly about it and asked if he could show my card to one of the Gold members to demonstrate the required status, although he then did ask what GL stood for.
Further down the carriage there appeared to be a DYKWIA incident as a pax argued that due to a previous cancellation, standard class was full and he therefore had the right to sit in Business based on the premium fares they charge everybody!

Pilot37
Also on HEX midday on 3 Dec. Train absolutely packed (they strangely only run 5 coach trains on Sunday) so we sat in Business First and offered to pay for upgrade. Had absolutely no idea that I should have shown my GGL credentials. After a bit of chit chat with the guard, he waived the upgrade since the train was so full!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by morges1
Also on HEX midday on 3 Dec. Train absolutely packed (they strangely only run 5 coach trains on Sunday) so we sat in Business First and offered to pay for upgrade. Had absolutely no idea that I should have shown my GGL credentials. After a bit of chit chat with the guard, he waived the upgrade since the train was so full!
It's the packed trains that really irritate at the weekend, like it's a surprise to find people travelling on Sunday evening - particularly annoying a few months' back when I inquired of the attendant on the platform (at T2/T3) as to length of incoming train to be condescendingly informed that "It is always 8 cars on the weekend". Clearly their first day on the job then.

To get back slightly on topic, for leisure travellers who know their schedule far ahead the 90-day advance weekend F tickets are not expensive at £7.50 o/w (Standard also being a steal at £5.50), but obviously less useful for trips booked with less notice - also only available via the normal HEX website, not the Avios-specific page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.