Changes in award cancellation process

Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Changes in award cancellation process

Apologies if this has been covered. Recently ticketed an award on AA for relatives with Avios and had to cancel it. However when I tried to do this online, I was asked more questions than usual such if I was one of the pax, name, address, phone, email. Provided all that info and was told someone will look into the refund. Points were not credited immediately.

The old system was simple and points were almost credited instantaneously. Used to be asked if I had consent from all pax on the resv and for the full credit card number.

Did something change or is this because I cancelled an award in someone else's name?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Apologies if this has been covered. Recently ticketed an award on AA for relatives with Avios and had to cancel it. However when I tried to do this online, I was asked more questions than usual such if I was one of the pax, name, address, phone, email. Provided all that info and was told someone will look into the refund. Points were not credited immediately.

The old system was simple and points were almost credited instantaneously. Used to be asked if I had consent from all pax on the resv and for the full credit card number.

Did something change or is this because I cancelled an award in someone else's name?
The system hasn't changed. It wasn't always the case that sometimes the refund would wine automatic with near instantaneous refund of avios, and sometimes it would be manual with the refund being processed several days later.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
The system hasn't changed. It wasn't always the case that sometimes the refund would wine automatic with near instantaneous refund of avios, and sometimes it would be manual with the refund being processed several days later.
I have regularly used BA over the past 7 years and never had such an issue, except a few instances when the website had issues. A cousin did the same a few days ago and went through the same process.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:03 am

I have regularly used BA over the past 7 years and never had such an issue, except a few instances when the website had issues. A cousin did the same a few days ago and went through the same process.
Well I regularly have used reward bookings too, and when cancelling some process automatically and some process manually. If you don't believe me have a search on here for the many threads and comments made by others over the years.

The system has not changed.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:18 am

Well I regularly have used reward bookings too, and when cancelling some process automatically and some process manually. If you don't believe me have a search on here for the many threads and comments made by others over the years.
The system has not changed.
+1. I have had both. Have also just checked my current bookings including partners and the automatic refund is process is still there. Example below.

There was some discussion about the automatic/manual issue in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...on-policy.html
Attached Images  
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:23 am

The system may not have changed, but the likelihood of going down the manual route has increased by a huge factor in my experience. No longer just bookings that have been manually touched by a call centre.

In fact, I can't remember the last cancellation of mine that went through the auto instant credit route.

Also, has above screenshotted booking actually been cancelled? I've had a few fail at the next button press (the final confirmation).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Four days and points have still not been redeposited.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:18 am

Four days and points have still not been redeposited.
A manual refund usually takes a week or two.

If you can't wait for your avios to be recredited you can call and they should be able to do that part quickly.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just cancelled my wife's award booking that was made from a household account and it looks like a manual process.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Just cancelled my wife's award booking that was made from a household account and it looks like a manual process.
While we have you back, can you report back as to what happened in the end with the refund from June? How long did it take to recover the points and cash components and did you have to chase for them? Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
While we have you back, can you report back as to what happened in the end with the refund from June? How long did it take to recover the points and cash components and did you have to chase for them? Thanks
I think about a week. Did not have to chase it down.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think about a week. Did not have to chase it down.
Thanks for the update.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:40 am

Can someone tell what are the fees to cancel ticket and get avios back? I am trying to use Avios to book AA flight within USA. this one

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees

shows fess but it says no charge for booking on ba.com and also it shows US 55 for cancellation/redposit per person
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Can someone tell what are the fees to cancel ticket and get avios back? I am trying to use Avios to book AA flight within USA. this one

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees

shows fess but it says no charge for booking on ba.com and also it shows US 55 for cancellation/redposit per person
If you cancel more than 24 hours before the flight you will get all the avios refunded.

There is a cancellation fee of $55 which is taken from the cash you paid (i.e. the taxes/fees/charges). If the cash you paid was more than $55 then you get back the remainder after the $55 has been deducted. If the cash you paid was less than $55 then you just lose that, you are not asked to cure the difference to $55.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:58 am

If you cancel more than 24 hours before the flight you will get all the avios refunded.

There is a cancellation fee of $55 which is taken from the cash you paid (i.e. the taxes/fees/charges). If the cash you paid was more than $55 then you get back the remainder after the $55 has been deducted. If the cash you paid was less than $55 then you just lose that, you are not asked to cure the difference to $55.
Thanks for the quick reply. that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.