Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you still like about BA and future improvement [Positive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you still like about BA and future improvement [Positive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Presumably, this is a typo and you mean WT. For the rest, and apart from the comments on GUF2s and GGL line which have no application to me as a bottom-feeding GCH, I agree 100%.
Thanks!! Typo indeed and duly corrected!!

Originally Posted by NickB
PS: I had not realised that there were still BA employees at NCE. I thought that they had all been TUPE'd (or rather the French equivalent) to the handling contractor.
Two of the former station employees are still there and seem to work as flight managers. I believe they are still BA contracted as they only ever seem to work on BA flights but I never dared to ask as I know the episode of transferring to a third party, which indeed handles all operations, is still sore.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by V10
You certainly have a valid standpoint, however I do think it's probably one that's in the minority and most travellers would pick getting from A to B in comfort as opposed to whatever provides a more subjective notion of nostalgia. It's telling to me that the biggest cheerleaders for the 747 (on this forum at least) are the lucky minority who get to experience it from the upper deck. People also talk about the takeoff experience on the 757, but aviation has now progressed beyond these previous generation aircraft. So it is with the 747, it's an old design and perhaps one now that only makes sense in a decreasing set of circumstances as newer aircraft take over. It's no accident that few airlines bought into the 747-8.

I daresay that every now and again it's nice to ride in a horse and carriage. I wouldn't choose to use one every day though - times have moved on. Mourn the eventual demise of the 747 if you must and be grateful for the opportunities for air travel that it opened up, but we must also look forward to the possibilities enabled by the next generations of aircraft rather than cling inexorably to the past.
I am off to SFO in a couple of weeks and chose the 744 over the 380 which is a hideous aircraft. 744 has some character, makes enough noise so you can't hear everyone else and seems to have a way better layout when it comes to dividing up the passengers. It's the same on EK - I choose to fly in their 777 rather than the A380 when in Y (although the A380 has a better J product than their 777's).

Will be very sad when the 744 goes away as will be left with the A380 (yuk), the 787 even more yuk or a 10 abreast 777. Absolutely nothing to look forward to in Y in any of those aircraft (although the A380 will be the best of that bunch). In J the A380 sucks, the 777 is just a big dorm leaving the 787 as probably the best choice (hence why I am flying back from SJC)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
Yes sir. Many times, including onboard the Qantas Longreach 747 flight that used to fly on the SYD to Dallas route. Quite frankly, I find myself more comfortable on an older 747-400 versus onboard a newer 777-300 with 10 seats across. My worst was San Fran to Frankfurt on the UA 747 in the rear of the plane. If that was the last remaining 747 option available, I would still pick that over flying in any of the so called newer model planes. Any sacrifice in comfort is well worth the nostalgia experienced when you 1) stare out at the magnificent beast from the terminal building knowing that you are about to board that plane, 2) once aboard, starting out of the window at all the smaller planes that you tower over (just not the same in an A380), and 3) the sensation when the thrust levers are pushed forward, you hear the four turbofans spool-up, ever so slowly picking-up speed. You sense a slight vibration followed by what is really a very big vibration. Seconds later, you have VR, the speed when you are committed, and then nearly 400 tons of metal, glass, rubber, people and duty free are being hauled into the air. Suddenly, the shuddering and rattling stop, the engine note rises, wings take the load and somehow, someway we are flying. You won't get a better yee-hah experience. Any true airplane connoisseur understands this, even if flying in economy. I actually have not yet even had the luxury yet of flying in the bubble. I did fly in the nose below the bubble once. It really really is a true travesty that one day in the near future, one will look out of the windows at Heathrow T5 and not see a single BA 747. That's why I applaud Lufthansa for carrying on the 747s by purchasing 747-8s, and will ALWAYS try route myself through Frankfurt when costs allow, even if it results in an inconvenience.
Well said!

I'd like to add "hearing that final 'clunk' when the front wheels tuck away after take off when traveling in F."

I have actually recorded the take off for my future enjoyment ;D

Lot's of nostalgia, having grown up with this plane. I will also miss it when it is gone.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
For me it's being far away from home and the romanticism of seeing the BA tail and feeling proud and comforted

stepping onboard and feeling like I'm home already although it's still a long journey ahead of me

the comforting voice of the cockpit crew - seems so unique to BA!

In protest at how lost BA have become I have taken my business elsewhere and let the status go but this is what I miss about flying BA. There's a lot I don't miss but we won't go into that in this thread! :-)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
For me, BA works because of the following:

- network. I can get around most of where I want to go from Heathrow and the prices generally aren't too bad in economy (but I generally travel in off-season);

- BAEC - the opportunities to pick up points easily (albeit not as easily as before) and get status as a leisure traveller is a very big plus for me plus the 2-4-1 voucher means that I'm taking my mum away in First next year to KUL. First time she's ever travelled First (first time I've been in it since 2004) and there's no way I could have afforded it without that voucher and the BAEC points.

- the CW product. I know that the seats and service are greener on other airlines (and I am very keen to try other OW products - have got AY booked for later this year) but if you're an infrequent traveller looking for a bit of a treat then CW is not a bad experience. I know that I enjoyed it before I found FT and you all ruined me ...

Anyway. Offered up for what it's worth.

1F
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas

Lot's of nostalgia, having grown up with this plane. I will also miss it when it is gone.

my fondest memories growing up before I hit my teens, was always when driving to the old Jan Smuts (now O.R. TAMBO International) airport in the backseat of the family car, as we would pass the Simba chips factory and approach the airport terminal, my dad would slow down the car and call my attention - then as we closed in on the International Terminal, you could see the bubble of 747s peeking over the Terminal building. I will always remember and cherish that first wave of excitement that pumps through the body at the first sighting. Even as an adult I still get goosebumps when approaching the same airport (although sadly the renovated terminal buildings block out the planes these days). Then he would drop my mom and me off at the drop-off section, and while he would go find parking, I would run off with my mom to the viewing deck on-top of the International Departures terminal and stare romantically at the many 747s. Although a BA 747 was always amongst them, my favorite one was always the KLM one. It really breaks my heart that the 747 is a dying breed and will one day be extinct. Hopefully the 747-8 can last for many more decades. What a truly magnificent magnificent marvel. I wish more travelers cared like we do, but sadly we are in the minority - sigh....
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
my fondest memories growing up before I hit my teens, was always when driving to the old Jan Smuts (now O.R. TAMBO International) airport in the backseat of the family car, as we would pass the Simba chips factory and approach the airport terminal, my dad would slow down the car and call my attention - then as we closed in on the International Terminal, you could see the bubble of 747s peeking over the Terminal building. I will always remember and cherish that first wave of excitement that pumps through the body at the first sighting. Even as an adult I still get goosebumps when approaching the same airport (although sadly the renovated terminal buildings block out the planes these days). Then he would drop my mom and me off at the drop-off section, and while he would go find parking, I would run off with my mom to the viewing deck on-top of the International Departures terminal and stare romantically at the many 747s. Although a BA 747 was always amongst them, my favorite one was always the KLM one. It really breaks my heart that the 747 is a dying breed and will one day be extinct. Hopefully the 747-8 can last for many more decades. What a truly magnificent magnificent marvel. I wish more travelers cared like we do, but sadly we are in the minority - sigh....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9c64a3ee7c.jpg
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:22 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I like:
1) The pilots. For example, this week, there were disruptions due to high winds in London. Flying back from ARN, the captain was so focussed on delivering the best service he could- spoke directly from the front of the plane using the PA there, so visible to all, opened up the flight deck to visitors during the ground delay and provided updates every 20 mins. Outstanding and something I've never experienced on other airlines. QR could learn a thing or two from the way in which BA pilots interact with their passengers.
2) the F wing at LHR T5 is brilliant and in my opinion, the best Oneworld check-in to lounge pathway I have experienced.
3) decent reward availability in premium cabins on many routes (with the exception of a handful of near impossible routes) if looking to book for 3-4 people. Few other airlines offer in excess of 4 reward seats in F or J.
4) upgrades from J to F for as little as 18000 Avios
5) great value Club Europe holiday (flight + hotel) bookings
6) cakes in the T5 F lounge and the excellent F lounge buffet breakfast

I am looking forward to the new CW product, but not holding my breath

Last edited by Jed; Jun 8, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.