Getting home pronto

Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Getting home pronto

A bit of a strange question, but i'm about to head of on a short business trip to the US (East coast).

My wife is due to give birth in late July, but say the baby was VERY early...could I expect any help from BA in getting home quickly? The sort of thing i'm thinking about is a change to another east coast airport / time change / etc....

Or would they just do it as a route change and charge me full whack?

Thanks,
A
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:02 pm

The route change isn't (I don't think) massively relevant - historical prices will apply and they are roughly the same to most East Coast cities.

The key question is whether there will be availability in the cheap fare buckets for the flight you need. You may have to dig around for that. Also not sure if AP restrictions will come into play here? Min stay restrictions definitely would if you wanted to return without staying Sat night.

In any event you'll still be liable for the change fee - do you know what this is for your ticket? I wouldn't expect BA to waive it in these circumstances.

[Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on the above]
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Adstring
A bit of a strange question, but i'm about to head of on a short business trip to the US (East coast).

My wife is due to give birth in late July, but say the baby was VERY early...could I expect any help from BA in getting home quickly? The sort of thing i'm thinking about is a change to another east coast airport / time change / etc....

Or would they just do it as a route change and charge me full whack?

Thanks,
A
I am sure others have different experiences from my own but when I needed to get home a couple of years ago from the East Coast for a family emergency BA wanted full whack. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-reprice.html
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the question whether the OP has a refundable/changeable/flexible ticket or whether it's some "fly it as ticketed or lose all value" discount fare? OP needs to read the fare rules carefully.

Some FF programs offer elites guaranteed space on any flight they operate if a full fare is paid. Check whether BA does and also whether AA does for your level of oneworld elite.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Agreed, I'm afraid I wouldn't, and I doubt BA, would consider this as a compassionate case to waver the change fee.

how many weeks will she be exactly?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's often same / next day Avios availability back from most East coast airports (in economy at least) so monitor this and see trends, as you could just get yourself home for very little Avios & cash if BA can't help
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
I am sure others have different experiences from my own but when I needed to get home a couple of years ago from the East Coast for a family emergency BA wanted full whack. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-reprice.html
Same experience for me. I flew out to the US and my wife went into labour (one month before due date) just after I touched down.

I obviously had to fly straight back and had to stump up full price there and then over the phone.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:13 pm
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Another option is just to look on Google Flights as and when you need it. Some carriers charge more than a return for a one-ways, while others are more reasonable.

e.g. if you wanted a flight tomorrow from NYC to LON, TAP will do it for Ł381, while United, Virgin, Delta want over Ł1k and BA want over Ł2k.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Would travel insurance cover this scenario and any change fees incurred?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ianwall
You would have to check with the insurance company, but my initially feeling is no, otherwise your premium would be pretty high if your wife was pregnant, obviously if the pregnancy had complications, that's a different story, but it is one of the reasons why I asked how many weeks she will be.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by ianwall
I doubt it. Obviously this involves checking the small print carefully.

Bereavement yes, but in this circumstance maybe not so much. Best thing you could do would be to call and ask whether you are covered or not.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Pregnancy is a pre-existing condition but early delivery probably isn't unless it's a high risk pregnancy or pre-existing complication. OP should read the travel insurance policy carefully and probably get reliable advice if this matters.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I doubt it. Obviously this involves checking the small print carefully.

Bereavement yes, but in this circumstance maybe not so much. Best thing you could do would be to call and ask whether you are covered or not.
Often bereavement isn't covered if the person was terminally ill prior to the trip. No insurance policy that I have seen would cover for pregnancy.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by strichener
Often bereavement isn't covered if the person was terminally ill prior to the trip. No insurance policy that I have seen would cover for pregnancy.
I agree. In the case of bereavement of a family member causing curtailment, then yes I could see a claim being denied if the condition was known at time of booking.

Curtailment is the only clause where I can think that a claim could be submitted, but as you rightly say, a pregnancy could be classed as pre-existing. You probably couldn't even legislate for late onset complications like pre-eclampsia.

I think in this case OP should check the fare rules and if necessary, obtain a more flexible ticket
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:54 pm

or just use Avios, doube Avios in Y if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.