Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If BA do get worse over time what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If BA do get worse over time what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Uncle T, do you now use AA for ALL l/h now?
For US destinations, yes (ex-DUB), and of course BA doesn't fly to the Hawaiian Islands!

Our other l/h trips are usually with BA ... this year its a sale run to ANU and a 2-4-1 to CPT. We have a weakness for the Caribbean, and BA does offer good coverage and some decent BA Holidays prices occasionally. That said, I have looked at AA options to the Caribbean, but my casual searches weren't very productive (routing/price) ... but I will keep looking!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you had to choose another airline than BA to transport you all over the World who would you choose and why? based on where I have said we live

We generally travel in Business Class with the odd treat to First using miles.

New York
Singapore
Dubai
Hong Kong
San Francisco
Tokyo

Plus several destinations within Europe.
Personally I fly with BA only to complete the 4 sectors for BAEC and that's that, usually I go to Marrakech twice over winter on extended weekend breaks.

I then fly with CX, QR or EK going East (earning Avios through QF) and AA or AC to North America with the odd LH/LX flight around Europe.

Presuming you're flying J or F, I'd fly with AA for the JFK and SFO legs, SQ for SIN, CX for HKG and EK for DXB.

Within Europe, I'm starting to enjoy LH/LX, even if I have to stop in FRA or ZUR before flying onwards.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I would (and now do!) choose the best combination of flight time (both duration and arrival/departure time) and price for my route.

I've found stepping away from BA-blind loyalty to be pretty refreshing. I still use BA as it offers a great route network for me, living in the southern half of England, but it's truly liberating to fly on whoever offers the best service to where I need to go.
+1 from me. Having hit gold for the first time last year, I've realised that I get most of the benefits of status by flying J/F on long haul, and being midlands based, short haul is far easier from a more local airport (and there's not really much difference between LCC and BA SH) - or to take positioning flights for ex-eu LH. So, I won't be chasing status again, or tying myself to OW - I'll choose whatever's going to work best each time based on product, convenience and price.

I do however have a 241 to St Lucia next week - when are you off? may see you in the lounge!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I switched from *A to One World semi involuntarily when BMI got taken over. Miles switched etc. I stayed because I wanted a RTW ticket that included a leg to MPN and a SCL -AKL flight. Having done that trip I'm inclined to defect back to *A. I'm based up north so I have to transfer and going east I prefer to change in FRA or MUC than LHR.
Have also flown BA club to BKK and JNB via T5 in last 12 months - its a very average business experience. There is no doubt that BA is going backwards. It used to be a premium airline but the cost cutting is really showing. Sandwichgate is more trouble than it's worth and the Ryanair price/product comparisons don't look good. So I'm going to deplete my Avios and disappear.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

yes you have got it exactly! ^

to be honest whenever we fly we drive down to Heathrow or Gatwick whatever the night before we fly so the drive does not bother us. I am asking for advice as if they do get a lot worse and really go to the dogs I will spend my money with another airline and fly from Manchester instead or Birmingham like I say. But if BA get there act together and promise what they have said they are going to do and invest in CW I will stay put more than likely.
Flyertalkers do tend to be worriers.
I find if you're flying J it doesn't really matter a lot who you fly with. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way just to fly a supposed 'better' airline just to get a seat with a water bottle holder or a bread plate.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I find if you're flying J it doesn't really matter a lot who you fly with.
BA's J is like QR's Y so it does matter who you fly with.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I am concerned about the densification of the CE cabins next year, that might be enough to push me further to other carriers for my short haul needs.
I must have missed that bit! Can you please clarify?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I find if you're flying J it doesn't really matter a lot who you fly with. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way just to fly a supposed 'better' airline just to get a seat with a water bottle holder or a bread plate.

I know .... it's really silly isn't it....?

I often ask myself why I choose one airline over another, just because it is supposedly 'better'.

And the only reasons I can ever think of are that that the 'better' airline provides efficiently-operated priority boarding* ; more private, more spacious seating ; a higher quality, more personalised onboard service ; and superior catering. Oh and better customer support centres should you need them.

Apart from such trivial aspects, I agree that all the airlines are pretty much the same.

* a little clue there as to which 'better' airline I'm NOT talking about
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair comment, Hiddster, but some J is better than some other J. And the more people travel, the more they tend to notice deficiencies. Tens of thousands of miles per annum can engender serious irritation!

Originally Posted by FlyingSalami
BA's J is like QR's Y so it does matter who you fly with.
Very silly. Keep taking the tablets
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
We will be loyal to BA as far as getting us from JER to LGW is concerned ... 5 flights a day offers considerable flexibility and convenience, and it only takes 40 minutes so we don't really care about the F&B or legroom. That also gives us the essential BAEC sectors!

After that, we will take any oneworld option that generates TPs for renewal of BAEC status, which does offer us some meaningful benefits. I guess that makes us semi-loyal. And what matters is the destination, not the "experience" in the air or the niggles on the ground. For us, BA would have to sink a lot lower before we would (or indeed could) stop using them completely ... they're just not our l/h carrier of choice any more.
Is status really that important to you considering you only fly business?

Bar mileage bonuses what do you get? Or are you talking about Gold level and above only? (Edit- oh and seat selection actually with BA! Although flying on another alliance could be 120 quid cheaper)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Very silly. Keep taking the tablets
No tablets here! I've just been let down by the rude staff and poor product of J on BA.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingSalami
No tablets here! I've just been let down by the rude staff and poor product of J on BA.
Nothing new there, then
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I must have missed that bit! Can you please clarify?
BA will be reducing the seat pitch on its short haul fleet from 30" to 29" by winter 2018.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everybody for your input and comments it is much appreciated 😊
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
BA will be reducing the seat pitch on its short haul fleet from 30" to 29" by winter 2018.
do we actually know what the leg-room (or specifically the knee room) will be with hte new seats yet rather than the pitch (sorry if I've missed it on another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.