Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA set to outsource its Manchester and Newcastle call centres

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA set to outsource its Manchester and Newcastle call centres

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I am sure when you're presenting your Powerpoints this gets nodding heads of approval. In reality, the evidence of every call centre outsource I've ever encountered is completely the opposite.
Exactly.
It is a real shame. Good call centre staff (Which BA have in abundance) are a real resource. Once you head to the bottom by outsourcing then the churn and staff loyalty to the company drop like a stone, the customer experience drops and brand loyalty dies.
But hey ho, the management "team" get nice bonuses so trebles all round and everybody is happy. Except for those who matter. The Staff, customers, and shareholders.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Capita can merge the 2 call centres to save some money. And they will only need one UPS for the critical systems. What could go wrong with that.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
Capita can merge the 2 call centres to save some money. And they will only need one UPS for the critical systems. What could go wrong with that.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
So after this change BA will have zero actual employees available by phone that can solve customer service issues? This seems like a completely self-destructive path to rely on a contracted outsourcer for one of the most important functions they offer.

I would still argue that they would get better value by improving their phone system technology like AA has to help handle the simpler half of all calls automatically than to go down this route.

Sad days indeed for the outstanding BA staff.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by headingwest
Very sorry to hear that Flyingandserving, I hope you find another job which makes you feel more appreciated.
Seconded!

I've had superb service over the last 10 years on both the Silver and Gold numbers, and even have the email of a specially helpful Agent at NCL. For me, they've done complex multi-sector bookings on AA as well as BA, when the computer says "No". I've had some very cheerful and helpful contacts up there, who really know which buttons to press.

Another nail in BA's coffin, and I'm so sad for the people there who are fleeing Capita. What a bloody shame.
'andad likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Jun 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
That might not be a bad thing as they are owned by Emirates ^

Does it still work?
I think BA are going for an off the shelf product which is artificial intelligent based.
No - was discontinued after the trial finished.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by DELLAS
My dealings with NCL over the years have nearly always had a good outcome. So sorry for them being sold off like this.
I've only had a handful of dealings with the NCL call centre - but was always impressed as a zero-status peon with a couple of issues that would have been relatively easy to patronize away without my family having a leg to stand on.

As it was, the people there really went above and beyond to help my Mum out and exercising some discretion in what, as I recall, could have been borderline in terms of her losing out due to an illness (and then bereavement) related issue of a very close friend (but not in terms of what I think fine print could have drawn a line under).

I, too, fear that outsourcing (particularly to Crapita) will not be good for anyone.

Hope the good folks at NCL can find rewarding new pastures elsewhere, and continue their good work for an employer worthy of their abilities.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
Is all of NCL going over including the Customer Relations Team or just support? I recall it being very heavy with line trainers and middle management.

I know of a few people who work there who sit on £15,500, work Xmas and awful shifts and accept it because of the travel perks, once they are gone, experienced call centre staff won't be short of work in the North East and at much better pay.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue
The review affects everyone in both contact centres.

Originally Posted by gtomlinson
Is all of NCL going over including the Customer Relations Team or just support? I recall it being very heavy with line trainers and middle management.

I know of a few people who work there who sit on £15,500, work Xmas and awful shifts and accept it because of the travel perks, once they are gone, experienced call centre staff won't be short of work in the North East and at much better pay.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As another person not intimately familiar with BA's support structure, I have noticed that almost whenever I've successfully had a tricky issue solved it's almost always been someone with a signature that happens to have a Newcastle address. The team obviously had a lot of really talented people and I wish them all the best.

One of my jobs over the years has been in centralising call centres in an effort to save costs and improve customer service through consistency and speed in the meantime. In theory there could definitely be an opportunity to improve BA's service levels through standardization and outsourcing, but as someone who has been through quite a few of these, I would say there is no chance that BA could successfully capture all the micro deviations vs. procedure which make service acceptable while transferring to someone like Capita. Capita themselves have incredibly deep experience, but I doubt in their most optimistic sales pitch to BA they ever made such a claim.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
Silver card contact number answered in India

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As another person not intimately familiar with BA's support structure, I have noticed that almost whenever I've successfully had a tricky issue solved it's almost always been someone with a signature that happens to have a Newcastle address. The team obviously had a lot of really talented people and I wish them all the best.

One of my jobs over the years has been in centralising call centres in an effort to save costs and improve customer service through consistency and speed in the meantime. In theory there could definitely be an opportunity to improve BA's service levels through standardization and outsourcing, but as someone who has been through quite a few of these, I would say there is no chance that BA could successfully capture all the micro deviations vs. procedure which make service acceptable while transferring to someone like Capita. Capita themselves have incredibly deep experience, but I doubt in their most optimistic sales pitch to BA they ever made such a claim.
Looks like it's happened already. I made a call the other day on the dedicated silver card number to clear up the slight overlap on my silver re-qualification and the person who answered the call had NO idea as to even the basic mechanics of BAEC... "I see you have silver status but only 35 tier points" (tier point year had just restarted). On the plus side the call centre representative quickly palmed me off back to someone in the UK somehow.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Anything Capita is involved in goes to pot...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So very dumb, and so very sad...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As another person not intimately familiar with BA's support structure, I have noticed that almost whenever I've successfully had a tricky issue solved it's almost always been someone with a signature that happens to have a Newcastle address. The team obviously had a lot of really talented people and I wish them all the best...
I only had one contact with the Newcastle call centre and it was a very disappointing one, trying to add a return journey from CPT to a 241 (by calling the USA number at midnight, which gets routed through to Newcastle). At first I was fobbed off, being told to call the Bronze line, then, on calling back my request was refused and I was told I had to call the UK number at 6am, despite my protests that the CW seats would have gone by then. Eventually, and in bad grace, the agent processed it, taking over 30 minutes and refusing to assign seats when I wanted to pay to assign them on the Upper Deck. Eventually it wasn't ticketed, and I had to call in yet again to give the amex details all over again (although no idea if this last part is linked to the NCL agent's actions). Just one small data point, but that is my experience of NCL.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by gtomlinson

Wow 15,500 GBP? You make more working in Starbucks or Mcdonalds!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.