Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways 747 Business Class: Who designed this seat? (YouTube Video Review)

British Airways 747 Business Class: Who designed this seat? (YouTube Video Review)

Old Jun 3, 17, 8:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriot Gold
Angry British Airways 747 Business Class: Who designed this seat? (YouTube Video Review)

Published on Jun 2, 2017

A good review video that seems to tell the Cub World product exactly how it is.
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. My sister and I are on a flight from SJC to LON, same seats, but a 787. Guess I'll lower my expectations. We can't climb over sleeping people, so took the front aisle seats across from each other. Wondering if we should move to the back, one window that doesn't have to climb over anyone, and the aisle. At least then we'd be facing each other and not strangers...
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by COREi5 View Post
British Airways 747 Business Class. Who designed this seat?? - YouTube

Published on Jun 2, 2017

A good review video that seems to tell the Cub World product exactly how it is.

I think the point about facing another pax is a bit of a red herring since the screen is pretty much up except for takeoff, landing and service - other than that he seemed to hit the strong and weak points.

I disagree on his rant about the designer - the BA flat bed business seat led the industry by at least 10 years - it's only in the past 3-5 years BA has fallen behind on seat product.
Old Jun 3, 17, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
The screen doesn't have to be down for takeoff and landing - only for the safety video.
Old Jun 3, 17, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Spire
The screen for me is the biggest issue and on recent flights the crew seem happy to put it down to serve and then wander off not putting it back up again. Yes I know I can put it back easily (and do) but there is always that subbtle English awkwardness in saying I don't want to look at you. The crew shoudl always put the screen up unless asked not to as it's pretty obvious 99% of the time you don't want to be staring at a stranger.

Other than that, agree that when it first came out it was nothing short of outstanding. I used to commute to HKG and the flat bed was on the 2nd flight back to LHR and transformative in terms of comfort from the flight that left 30 mins before (I always wondered at those that asked to get on the earlier one when at the airport having no idea what they were giving up (ie Flat bed for a cradle seat).

Finally, this guy was lucky he wasn't on one of the old 777's with cr*p IFE etc. This really is a very poor product in comparison
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Marriott Rewards
he gets on the plane expecting it to be less than stellar. self fulfilling prophecy? His incessant whining caused me to only last 4 minutes. seems to me that he had an agenda
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doug091363 View Post
he gets on the plane expecting it to be less than stellar. self fulfilling prophecy? His incessant whining caused me to only last 4 minutes. seems to me that he had an agenda
If you watch the entire thing you will find his nitpicking pretty accurate about the limitations of the CW seat, etc.

Where he is off-base is talking about how the designers didn't know what they were doing. In fact, they created a design that was superior to virtually every other product in the market for more than a decade - and one of the most space efficient. If you look over at AF most of their fleet is still fitted with outdated ski slopes.

That said, he does cover the flaws of the CW seat accurately whether you like his tone or not.
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Yes, I am afraid he should have done his homework a bit better there on the history of the seat. When the seat came out it quite literally transformed Business Class travel and it took a lot of other airlines years and years to catch up - it was only fairly recently that airlines like AA and AF moved away from slopey seats and 3 in the middle bank. LH had horrible seats for years and even highly rated airlines like QR and EK still have duff set-ups on their 777s etc. Is QF that great if you are stuck in a window seat next to a stranger? Yep, there's better stuff out there now with Cirrus and so on and BA will need to change or update fairly soon.

That was what, 15 years ago or more? A time when BA actually led from the front, driving innovation but has now been overtaken and seemingly fails to stay with the pack. There are those who still rate the seat which if you are in some of the 'prime seats' I think is just about justifiable.

The history of air travel will say that the design and implementation of BA's seat was genius and bought true lie-flat travel across the whole of their fleet ahead of everyone else. The management of the airline at the time was courageous and dynamic, and really did put their passengers first.
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:48 am

Programs: NZ *G
Still a good seat for sleeping.....
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel View Post
even highly rated airlines like QR and EK still have duff set-ups on their 777s etc.
Have you flown QR J on the 777? It is without a doubt one of the most spacious business class seats in the sky. It may look old and not have as much privacy, but boy does that seat deliver (especially more so when combined with the QR service + meals)
Old Jun 4, 17, 1:18 am

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
The numbnuts responsible for this seat design is a guy called Martyn Darbyshire.

http://tangerine.net/about/martin-darbyshire/
Old Jun 4, 17, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
+1

This was a poor review in that regard. Instead of taking the product on its merits with an open mind, he already knew the angle his review would take.

The comment about being face to face with his neighbour for the entire flight was very unfair as the divider takes care of this for most of the time. He also failed to properly acknowledge the remarkable privacy the window seat affords. No mention was made of the Z position which I think is incredibly comfortable to relax and watch movies. He also got the number of rows of seats wrong - saying just 6 rows on main deck of the super hi J.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Hengilas View Post
Have you flown QR J on the 777? It is without a doubt one of the most spacious business class seats in the sky. It may look old and not have as much privacy, but boy does that seat deliver (especially more so when combined with the QR service + meals)
Yes I have. Great if travelling with someone you know or with an empty seat next to you. Not so good when seated next to a stranger. 20 years ago this would have been a stellar first class seat....

The soft product is no contest, but that's another argument.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:18 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Dennis is extremely well travelled and I expect he's been doing it years - I'm certain that wouldn't have been his first time in Club World. Hence, he already knew the product was lacklustre.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20 years ago it was an amazing design when most of the world was still flying 50" pitch recliners. Sadly the world has moved on, and while the design is still great it compares pretty unfavourably to much on the market.

The video linked is just the usual blogger axe grinding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: