Search

EC261 compensation confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
EC261 compensation confirmed

At 09.51 I received an email from b a:

"I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the cancellation of your flight BA0835 on 27 May. The distance of your disrupted journey was 1,500km or less and this has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation. This means you’re entitled to €250.00 in compensation."

This was for a DUB-LHR flight cancelled on the day of the meltdown.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I assume you had applied for comp?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Yes. Four days ago I completed the form on their website.
Oddly enough I got a second reference two days ago but this email refers to the first case number.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Lets hope Iberia agree to the same - I originally filed with BA as i booked with them, and was on a BA flight number.. .they told me to refile with Iberia as the operating carrier...who knows if they'll agree to the claim
Im still out of pocket as we never made it to madrid and BA refused to reimburse the non-cancellable hotel in madrid so i now have to claim on travel insurance and lose out on the excess £50
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Lets hope Iberia agree to the same - I originally filed with BA as i booked with them, and was on a BA flight number.. .they told me to refile with Iberia as the operating carrier...who knows if they'll agree to the claim
Im still out of pocket as we never made it to madrid and BA refused to reimburse the non-cancellable hotel in madrid so i now have to claim on travel insurance and lose out on the excess £50
Why were IB flights affected? I thought it was just BA.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GavT_london
And also, as I understand it, BA aren't responsible for your hotel booking, just EC261 compensation should this apply and duty of care during the delay.

So in reality, you get the cost of your hotel from your travel insurer (minus the £50 excess) but also get an extra stash of wonga as compensation from the airline.

I wouldn't go as far as to say you end up quids in, because you have had your plans ruined and you deserve compensation, but I think that it is a fair system as it goes; and I do agree with ?which, airlines should start doing it automatically, it works well with the Virgin Trains although others haven't followed suit and it is only if you book direct. Perhaps this could be a new BA.com benefit.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by navylad
And also, as I understand it, BA aren't responsible for your hotel booking, just EC261 compensation should this apply and duty of care during the delay.
If he was flying with IB, I doubt he'd be entitled to EC261, as the issue was caused by BA. So, IB could argue 'extraordinary circumstances' out of their control.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If he was flying with IB, I doubt he'd be entitled to EC261, as the issue was caused by BA. So, IB could argue 'extraordinary circumstances' out of their control.
And this is where we are awaiting clarity on why his IB flight was affected, as it will guide who is then responsible. Either way, if it was as a result of the IT issue at BA, they should probably just agree to pay up as the media would love such a story.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
And this is where we are awaiting clarity on why his IB flight was affected, as it will guide who is then responsible. Either way, if it was as a result of the IT issue at BA, they should probably just agree to pay up as the media would love such a story.
Tend to agree but it does raise an interesting question.

If a Virgin plane goes tech and breaks down during pushback blocking in a BA plane one would assume BA could legitimately claim extraordinary circumstances.

If an IAG subsidiary aircraft goes tech and blocks another IAG subsidiary aircraft then what?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Tend to agree but it does raise an interesting question.

If a Virgin plane goes tech and breaks down during pushback blocking in a BA plane one would assume BA could legitimately claim extraordinary circumstances.

If an IAG subsidiary aircraft goes tech and blocks another IAG subsidiary aircraft then what?
Indeed, I suspect legally, the airlines are managed as seperate businesses therefore they could still claim EC, although in the media, they would likely get a rough ride for it. I did wonder why, when my flight went tech in BCN and friends in IB told me they did have a spare aircraft in BCN they couldn't use it given they are both IAG, but apparently not possible.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dambus
... If an IAG subsidiary aircraft goes tech and blocks another IAG subsidiary aircraft then what?
No. These are separate airlines, operating independently of each other.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I've submitted an expenses claim for our Hotel and Travel Expenses in Budapest. I did mention in the Comments Box that I was expecting EC261 compensation. I have yet to receive anything beyond an automated response from BA. Am I expected to complete a separate claim for EC261?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by clansey1973
I've submitted an expenses claim for our Hotel and Travel Expenses in Budapest. I did mention in the Comments Box that I was expecting EC261 compensation. I have yet to receive anything beyond an automated response from BA. Am I expected to complete a separate claim for EC261?
You will fnd all the answers regarding EC261 in the dedicated topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
IB departures from LHR use FLY.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
IB departures from LHR use FLY.
If that is the reason, then IB should be paying out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.