Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel
There have been several different posts. One saying that it's the status you have at the end of your current membership year (as they were informed by ba) and others stating that it's the level you have now (also as informed by ba!).
As I wrote a few messages ago, anyone like me that will go up a level during their membership year will have no benefit if the second year reverts to the level they have now.
Further clarification would be nice but what expiry date will be on my Silver Card when I get it later this year????
The evidence so far from my girlfriend who got the disruption mail does not look promising. She was silver at the time and has since moved to gold, whilst my expiry has been extended 2 years hers has not changed and shows her gold expiring at the end of her next year as normal.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Mine is extended to Gold too, expiring 31st July 2020.
Renewed on June 8th to 31st July 2018 and got a full two years extension.
Definitely happy cause I thought I would have only been extended to July 2019 like some others have been.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Gold renewal

Just logged in and noticed mine extended out to end August 2019. Card was due to expire 31st August 2017. Result!!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Response from BA regarding "higher Tier later in the membership year"

Hey guys so I got in touch with BA and they said this:

"We have decided to give you a two year renewal at the tier you held during the disruption to ensure that everyone received a fair gesture of goodwill, this however will only be offered even if you have earned enough to accumulate the next higher tier."

Well, I guess I will not be spending that money to go on a mile run at the end of the year then...

Not sure this approach makes sense in the end.

Hope it helps
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I don't believe that response from CS to be honest. That might be what they intended to do, but from what I've seen, it's a blanket "plus 2 years" onto whatever expiry date your card shows, at the time that they take the action on your account. Since they are taking the action over several weeks, that's going to lead to different results. So if you go on a wild TP run tomorrow, get up to Gold, and get a shiny new card next week with an expiry date of December 2018 (which would be normal for a TP year ending 8th Nov 2017), you could get that extended to Dec 2020, provided they don't decide to action your extension before you get your Gold card. If they actioned your extension tomorrow, and you currently hold a Silver card with Dec 2017 expiry, you'll get Silver until Dec 2019.

So a quick TP run could be lucrative if you've not yet received your extension, but might be wasted if they action your extension too soon.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus

So a quick TP run could be lucrative if you've not yet received your extension, but might be wasted if they action your extension too soon.
I think I would agree with you... BUT, I got my extension this Monday

However, I was still hoping that BA would do the sensible thing and go for "at the end of your current membership year" I am currently scheduled to retain my current status and would be a couple of flights away from going one tier up, which I would have just booked and spent the money on the flights (I wouldnt actually need) if it were to give me the 2 year extension on the higher status...

Well, I guess no extra money from me for BA then.

At least there is clarity now
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Expiry date changed from Sep 2017 to Sep 2019 at some point this week.

And got my 250 EUR compensation for cancellation too.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
I wasn't affected but am still waiting for my confirmation of status extension email. I'm somewhat disappointed it's taking this long to be honest.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by patgarrett
I wasn't affected but am still waiting for my confirmation of status extension email. I'm somewhat disappointed it's taking this long to be honest.
Perhaps they realised you don't deserve any compensation since you weren't affected?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mcgol
Hey guys so I got in touch with BA and they said this:

"We have decided to give you a two year renewal at the tier you held during the disruption to ensure that everyone received a fair gesture of goodwill, this however will only be offered even if you have earned enough to accumulate the next higher tier."

Well, I guess I will not be spending that money to go on a mile run at the end of the year then...

Not sure this approach makes sense in the end.

Hope it helps
My personal experience has been contrary to what they stated. I was a BA Silver when I got caught in the Bank Holiday chaos. I then noted that my membership year was extended until Aug 19 (usual two years extension).

However, I subsequently gained BA Gold, and the system updated to show my Gold status as being valid until Aug 20. Membership pack has now arrived, and Gold Card shows as valid until 08/20.

Not to guarantee this will happen, but I'm pretty sure my upgrade to Gold and subsequent extension to 2020 was an automated process...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by patgarrett
Are you trying to be funny, or did you fly that weekend but not suffer much inconvenience? I flew on the Friday and the Monday, and got the extension, although my disruption was only about an hour delay on the Monday. When did you fly?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by KARFA
Perhaps they realised you don't deserve any compensation since you weren't affected?
Do you think so?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by RandomStan
My personal experience has been contrary to what they stated. I was a BA Silver when I got caught in the Bank Holiday chaos. I then noted that my membership year was extended until Aug 19 (usual two years extension).

However, I subsequently gained BA Gold, and the system updated to show my Gold status as being valid until Aug 20. Membership pack has now arrived, and Gold Card shows as valid until 08/20.

Not to guarantee this will happen, but I'm pretty sure my upgrade to Gold and subsequent extension to 2020 was an automated process...
My partners experience is the opposite, she was silver when we got caught up in the chaos. She subsequently made gold a week or so later before they had applied extensions, her expiry updated to November 2018 when she went to gold. She has received no further extension since, whilst I have received 2 years on my existing gold.

So looks like a difference in whether you go up a status level before or after they applied the extensions.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Deltus
I don't believe that response from CS to be honest. That might be what they intended to do, but from what I've seen, it's a blanket "plus 2 years" onto whatever expiry date your card shows, at the time that they take the action on your account. Since they are taking the action over several weeks, that's going to lead to different results. So if you go on a wild TP run tomorrow, get up to Gold, and get a shiny new card next week with an expiry date of December 2018 (which would be normal for a TP year ending 8th Nov 2017), you could get that extended to Dec 2020, provided they don't decide to action your extension before you get your Gold card. If they actioned your extension tomorrow, and you currently hold a Silver card with Dec 2017 expiry, you'll get Silver until Dec 2019.

Just as a data point, I have a Sept TP collection year and had already requalified for Gold at the time of disruption, so would have had Gold until end of Oct 2018. I have since only been given an extension to Oct 2019.

As with all other aspects of BA's handling of the disruption claims, the inconsistency is frustrating.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Just as a data point, I have a Sept TP collection year and had already requalified for Gold at the time of disruption, so would have had Gold until end of Oct 2018. I have since only been given an extension to Oct 2019.

As with all other aspects of BA's handling of the disruption claims, the inconsistency is frustrating.
Yes, but if you were only requalifying (rather than reaching a higher tier), your existing card would still be the one they gave you last year, which would have shown an expiry of Oct 2017. So that's consistent with my theory above.

Had you not had Gold last year, you'd have received a new card when you hit 1500 TPs this year, which would have had an expiry date of Oct 2018. That would have been extended to Oct 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.