Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
When does your collection year end?
I've already been through this with them! Collection year end is purely the point at which they stop counting for your tier commencing the start of the month after. So usually the 8th determines your tier starting the 1st of the month after. Your actual Tier status is valid to the end of the next month no matter what.

BA aren't tinkering with anyone's collection year end point so I don't see how it's relevant to the status end year. If someone holds say Bronze till June 30th but in May they are going to drop to Blue. Their tier status is still Bronze right up to the 30th then on July 1st their status is then Blue and their Previous status was Bronze. Their previous status doesn't become Bronze on 8th of the month. That is still from the end of the previous years card expiry date.

Well that's my line anyhow! Also don't forget the crucial point about this offer is "gesture of good will" This basically means all the rules are up for grabs as far As I'm concerned anyhow. They'd find it hard to defend quibbling over collection end date and status end date considering they are offering the gesture of good will.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm not sure I agree here. BA are making a gesture (generous gesture, in my opinion), and I am not sure they really care much about the status holders who just scrape status - they are not the most profitable customers.

I guess I am just more relaxed about all of this, since my flying pattern means that Gold is actually pretty easy, as is hitting top/high tiers in other programmes at the same time.
Well, I'm happy for you. And I'm not bothered if they "really care much" about me, in fact, I don't "really care much" about them. But I do care about exit rows, fast track and lounge access, so would like to make sure that I can maximise my access to these, from my paltry personal travel patterns.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
I've already been through this with them! Collection year end is purely the point at which they stop counting for your tier commencing the start of the month after. So usually the 8th determines your tier starting the 1st of the month after. Your actual Tier status is valid to the end of the next month no matter what.

BA aren't tinkering with anyone's collection year end point so I don't see how it's relevant to the status end year. If someone holds say Bronze till June 30th but in May they are going to drop to Blue. Their tier status is still Bronze right up to the 30th then on July 1st their status is then Blue and their Previous status was Bronze. Their previous status doesn't become Bronze on 8th of the month. That is still from the end of the previous years card expiry date.

Well that's my line anyhow! Also don't forget the crucial point about this offer is "gesture of good will" This basically means all the rules are up for grabs as far As I'm concerned anyhow. They'd find it hard to defend quibbling over collection end date and status end date considering they are offering the gesture of good will.
As a further data point, my wife's tier status renewal is 8 April and she held silver status from April 16 - April 17 from points collected the previous year. Between 16-17 she earned around 200 tier points and therefore dropped-down to Bronze for the 17-18 year.

We were flying Friday - Monday over the chaos and she received an email restoring her status to Silver for the year.

In other words, by 29 May, BA considered her to be a Bronze as she'd failed to renew her silver status (and the Bronze card arrived in the post in May).

Fortunately, she's now silver again (and I got the 2 year renewal).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I am familiar with all that. What I am trying to work out is how far BA has gone back to offer this upgrade in status (if that what it be). Knowing your dates would help us to clarify likely eligibility.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:15 am

I was flying on Monday immediately after the big mess. Outbound was F, inbound was WTP. Was upgraded to CW at check in on inbound on a flight with clearly no overbooking ( I saw at least 2-3 empty seats in the WTP cabin).
Have 70 TPs to go to GL and wonder if some good will get me there, although will no mean to verify as will get the missing TPs anyhow before my collection year ends in August.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I am familiar with all that. What I am trying to work out is how far BA has gone back to offer this upgrade in status (if that what it be). Knowing your dates would help us to clarify likely eligibility.

I contacted them yesterday to try to find out more (I'm currently a mere Bronze, but will hit Silver next month). My collection year ends in September. Obviously it would make a big difference to me if it's the Silver status that is extended rather than Bronze. I eventually got a response saying they were unable to answer my query and would need to get someone from the Executive Club to contact me, so tbh I don't think anyone knows what's happening! I will update if and when I get a response.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:41 am

It's May 8th. As I say I've not had clarity on what they mean about 'previous tier' , and if that relates to being Gold up to June 2016. It doesn't make sense they offered me an Upgrade as Silver>Silver isn't one! At the moment I don't know and neither do they! If this was July 1st my previous tier would definitely be Silver but I seem fall into a strange Grey area between collection end date (which doesn't change your status) and Status End date. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Which travel dates?

It looks the the status extension is being offer for 4(?) days around the IT triggered disruption - Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon - is that right?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It's May 8th. As I say I've not had clarity on what they mean about 'previous tier' , and if that relates to being Gold up to June 2016. It doesn't make sense they offered me an Upgrade as Silver>Silver isn't one! At the moment I don't know and neither do they! If this was July 1st my previous tier would definitely be Silver but I seem fall into a strange Grey area between collection end date (which doesn't change your status) and Status End date. Hope that helps.
Mmm? I was expecting you to say your Membership Year ended on 8 April or 8 May and that your status would therefore be downgraded 31 May or 30 June. Reinstating your status at the time giving rise to this gesture would make sense, but only if your status had dropped to a lower tier.

I don't see why they would offer an upgrade to Gold, but the email you received appears to indicate this and is rather different to that others have received. The email you received appears to have been intended for those whose tier was about to be downgraded after the 'limbo' period you mention. Effectively reinstating the tier status held on the day of the disruption.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:27 am

Mmm? I was expecting you to say your Membership Year ended on 8 April or 8 May and that your status would therefore be downgraded 31 May or 30 June. Reinstating your status at the time giving rise to this gesture would make sense, but only if your status had dropped to a lower tier.

I don't see why they would offer an upgrade to Gold, but the email you received appears to indicate this and is rather different to that others have received. The email you received appears to have been intended for those whose tier was about to be downgraded after the 'limbo' period you mention. Effectively reinstating the tier status held on the day of the disruption.
I know! And a 2 year extension would be
no use to me as I've already qualified again till June 2018 and in 3 months I'll already have earned enough Tier points to get me to 2019! Who knows I'll wait and see and have a moan I guess if their Gesture of Goodwill ends up being Hollow!

Perhaps they already analysed I'm hitting Silver every year and have enough advanced flight to hit the mark again after just 3 months that they reckon I'd more appreciate a 1 year Upgrade. However the cynic in me thinks it's probably sent in error by their IT system!

Last edited by cheshirepete; Jun 8, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
As I didn't receive and email I sent a DM to the twitter team regarding the extension and they have passed it on to the Executive Club who have come back to me and said they are looking into this.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
lets just say the process around this is a shambles - I had to call to request they honor this 2 year process as I was missed off the initial emails (apparently there are many who were) so they added me to a spreadsheet over the weekend - fast foward to now when I have just received an email from customer relations telling me I have been given "gold" status for a year despite the fact I am GGL sitting on 6500 TP so have already re-qualified at GGL for next year - on calling Exec club they are getting many queries the same and are very embarrassed by the whole thing and are trying to see who can sort this out for me.......
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
When are they going to update my membership status? RE: The 2 year extension?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
I ended up calling and my BAEC details as well of those of my daughter, along with the impacted PNR, were passed on to CR. Today we separately got emails confirming that we were in line to get the extension, and that this my membership would be renewed at the current level and my "new expiry date" would be reflected on the BAEC homepage "shortly". No mention of two years so let's see what this is. This is very good news as I have to work quite hard to get Gold.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
For those debating whether they will get the GUF2 etc. if they are GGL - my understanding from previous experience of non-official gold status is that you will get the status but you will not get the TPs which will need to be earned in the normal way. I would be very surprised if BA dished out further benefits if the relevant TPs have not been earned.

I do wonder if BA might live to regret this though.. I think they've set a very high bar for expectation of response/compensation to any delay and disruption going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.