FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Euro Traveller v Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1845768-euro-traveller-v-economy.html)

Stormbel Jun 1, 2017 11:21 am

Euro Traveller v Economy

Hi

I may be having a "moment" so please forgive what may be a daft question!

I have just booked a BHD-LHR return flight. The best options in Economy were hand luggage out but only the hold luggage option was available for the return.
MMB shows 15 Tier points so does the Hold Luggage option accrue 10 Tier points rather than 5 - or has this simply fallen into a lucky bin?

I ask as I will need only 20 more Tier points to return to Silver in August.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 1, 2017 11:26 am

TPs are not relevant here. You can easily get more TPs on some Basic (HBO) fares compared to higher Plus fares!

You need to hover over the flight number, BAnnnn, right click and it should show the selling groups. If it say Q, O, G then you're on 5 TPs. If no Basic tickets are available, it often (but not definitely) means you are in a higher category. If Basic and Plus are both selling, they may be in the same fare bucket and thus same TP earning.

As I think is well known now, it's best on domestics to head for N fare buckets, the difference can be only £5 more than O, and you go from 5 TPs to 10 TPs in the process. N can also be UuA'd to CE if you wish. After 48 hours you may be offered a £65 POUG which will get you to 40 TPs on that leg.

KARFA Jun 1, 2017 11:28 am

The HBO and non HBO element (now basic and plus) have no relevance to TP. What maters is the selling class. You can check this when booking by clicking on the flight number, or in MMB by clicking on more flight information.

The full tables of TP earning for each selling class is in the sticky guide.

Stormbel Jun 1, 2017 11:34 am

Interesting. Mind you I have now checked my future potential dates and none show N! Maybe they are too far away (November) to find any.
Thanks

corporate-wage-slave Jun 1, 2017 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel (Post 28388676)
Interesting. Mind you I have now checked my future potential dates and none show N! Maybe they are too far away (November) to find any.
Thanks

You can always book O and ring up straight away to go up to N for just the fare difference. Fare class changes can be made within 24 hours of the initial booking, provided you don't use the Fare Hold option.

copperfield27 Jun 1, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28388634)

As I think is well known now, it's best on domestics to head for N fare buckets,

Apologies, I have tried search but must not be using correct terms: how does a bog-standard booker choose a specific fare bucket on ba.com?

Many thanks

corporate-wage-slave Jun 1, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by copperfield27 (Post 28389367)
Apologies, I have tried search but must not be using correct terms: how does a bog-standard booker choose a specific fare bucket on ba.com?

You can't. Hence the suggestion that you book the cheapest and then call up to change it within the first 24 hours. Or book it over the telephone in the first instance, but you may be pinged for a service fee for that.

KARFA Jun 1, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by copperfield27 (Post 28389367)

Many thanks

You can't. You can see what is being offered which will be the cheapest available selling class (if that is the option you selected to search on) by clicking on the flight number. However, you can't specifically select a selling class.

Stormbel Jun 1, 2017 2:43 pm

Here I go again!...
If booked in O can b a refuse to upgrade it?
Will the fee be roughly in the region of £5 quoted earlier or can it be significantly more? I'd rather not make a booking and then find out that it's a significant extra price.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 1, 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stormbel (Post 28389643)
Here I go again!...
If booked in O can b a refuse to upgrade it?
Will the fee be roughly in the region of £5 quoted earlier or can it be significantly more? I'd rather not make a booking and then find out that it's a significant extra price.

"Upgrade" is a loaded word in this context. You can't upgrade with Avios on O, for example. But I'll assuming you mean upgrade to a higher fare class. It may be £5, it may be a lot more (occasionally less!). If you booked more than 24 hours ago then there would typically be a change fee to add on top. But BA could refuse to move you to N if (for example) N had sold out. It's a very complex area, I know the rail companies often get a lot of flack for their complex nest of fares, well the airlines are a hundred times worse. It largely defies generalisation, though I can witter on about that quite easily, we have to deal with specific dates and flights.

So if you give the precise dates and flights I (or someone else) can check on ExpertFlyer for you.

bhomburg Jun 1, 2017 3:05 pm

You can use ITA matrix to find out the exact cost for every fare bucket.