Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help needed: BA012 12hr delay, colleague stranded at SIN

Old Jun 1, 17, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS, *A G

I need the expert knowledge of the community.

I got a call from a colleague who was bound to return from SIN tomorrow on BA012 that her flight is delayed by 12.5 hours.

I checked fr24 and yesterday's BA011 left Heathrow with 18 hours delay. Anyone knows what's the reason?

BA says the alternative flight (BA016) is full in Y and suggested my colleague went to the airport tomorrow as the station had the authority to put her on an alternative carrier to LHR.

Question: Is there a ticket desk open (pretty much) all day that can deal with IRROPS rebooking, or does she need to wait for check-in to open?
In either case, what is the earliest time my friend should go to the airport?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:01 am

BA11 went tech last night due to a fuel leak.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think SATS are the ground handler for BA in SIN, and it's possible there will be a BA trained staff member there. Start in row 5 of check-in and ask around, then try the SATS ticket office at the back, SATS care for many airlines there. Normally it is 3 hours there before check-in opens. I can't guarantee this will work before then.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 1, 17 at 11:46 am
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
BA16 availability: F1 A0 J5 C3 D3 R3 I3 W5 E2 T1 Y1 B1 H1 K1 M1 L1 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

SQ looks to have good availability on three direct flights tomorrow.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you both @corporate-wage-slave and @CloudGazer
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:54 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
If it's anything like my experience at the weekend, you will probably have to wait until the normal scheduled BA check in desk opening time before your friend can do anything. It's as good a reason as any to turn up early, as you get first dibs on what's available for re-ticketing.

I think BA16 is scheduled to leave an hour or so before BA12, so as they use the same check in desks your friend might as well turn up for the check in opening time for the BA16. I haven't travelled BA from SIN since May 2016, ISTR check in opens three hours before. As BA16 leaves at 22:35, your friend should be able to roll up at 19:35 and hopefully someone in the right pecking order will be able to fix it. Hopefully the check in agents will be well prepared anyway.
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Howard Long View Post
If it's anything like my experience at the weekend, you will probably have to wait until the normal scheduled BA check in desk opening time before your friend can do anything. It's as good a reason as any to turn up early, as you get first dibs on what's available for re-ticketing.

I think BA16 is scheduled to leave an hour or so before BA12, so as they use the same check in desks your friend might as well turn up for the check in opening time for the BA16. I haven't travelled BA from SIN since May 2016, ISTR check in opens three hours before. As BA16 leaves at 22:35, your friend should be able to roll up at 19:35 and hopefully someone in the right pecking order will be able to fix it. Hopefully the check in agents will be well prepared anyway.
And of course the BA15 (SIN-SYD) is scheduled to depart at 19:25 so ticket counters will be available from 16:25ish.
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
BA check-in people at SIN are available to check in for BA 15 SIN-SYD at least 2 (more likely 3) hours before scheduled departure, which makes it possibly as early as 16:25 based on 19:25 departure for BA 15.

If the OP's colleague has status and is able to access the SATS premium check-in, they can go there even earlier.

At least some of the staff at SATS premium check-in desks appear to be trained in ticketing.
Old Jun 1, 17, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Immensely useful feedback from all and the FT community spirit once again showing in times of need ^ ^
Thank you to all!
Old Jun 2, 17, 2:30 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Had colleagues at the London end - obviously no chance of a rebook that late in the day but they were pretty happy at how BA handled it. Even more happy when I said I'll help them with their 600 euro claims next week!!

Did you colleague end up getting a re-route or were they made to wait overnight?
Old Jun 2, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
It explains why BA16 was absolutely full last night. Every seat occupied according to the Captain.
Old Jun 2, 17, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
Did you colleague end up getting a re-route or were they made to wait overnight?
I am actually puzzled as to what happened.

So for clarity, my friend was booked on BA012 scheduled to depart SIN today (Friday), 02JUN. When she tried to check in on the BA app Thursday night, it showed the 12.5hr delay for her flight, so she got on the phone to BA, our TA and then to me.

As side info, the TA spoke to BA who suggested my friend headed to the airport as the station would either rebook her or put her in a hotel and the TA also proactively brought up EU261 compensation.

This morning my friend messaged me with a screenshot from the app showing the flight on time and she also spoke to BA in Singapore who confirmed the flight is on time. She was REALLY confused.

I also figured out this morning, albeit before my first coffee of the day, that the knock-on affect of Wednesday's BA011 delay would be logically affecting BA012/01JUN.

I am not sure if BA was trying to juggle some flights around or perhaps some system(s) got confused by BA11 originally of 01JUN was actually operating on 02JUN.
Old Jun 2, 17, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Are you sure she didn't just pick up on the wrong BA12 being delayed and react too hastily (with BA also getting confused). If you search flight status on flights SIN-LON today, you get both today's flight she is on and yesterday's flight delayed into today. She may have jumped straight on the the latter (listed first).

It seems a bit unusual as I thought in these circumstances BA normally re-number the delayed flight to avoid confusion. Perhaps since only one BA12 will land at LHR today (as planned, but delayed) that isn't required.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Google is confused - for me it shows BA12 having departed 12hrs early today!
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
Are you sure she didn't just pick up on the wrong BA12 being delayed and react too hastily (with BA also getting confused). If you search flight status on flights SIN-LON today, you get both today's flight she is on and yesterday's flight delayed into today. She may have jumped straight on the the latter (listed first).

It seems a bit unusual as I thought in these circumstances BA normally re-number the delayed flight to avoid confusion. Perhaps since only one BA12 will land at LHR today (as planned, but delayed) that isn't required.
She sent me a screenshot of the BA App's OLCI page, showing delayed by 12.5 hours. Interestingly, she spoke to BA and I did with our company TA about this delay of her scheduled return flight and neither flagged up that her flight would not be affected.

One last point, when I checked today's BA012 status on Google this morning on my mobile, the widget was certainly all over the place as it said:
        which is also what I get currently on my desktop. So it appears some bits of information relate to BA12D/01JUN while others to BA12/02JUN.

It doesn't really matter in hindsight as my friend is not delayed and I hope the thread helped someone else. ^^

Search this Thread
        Search Engine: