FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Window shades night flights (sun up) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1845728-window-shades-night-flights-sun-up.html)

PJSMITH0 Jun 1, 17 7:13 am

Window shades night flights (sun up)

What is the general consensus of having your window blind raised on an overnight flight. Having just traveled in F from SIN to LHR travelling in the middle pair the passenger in the adjacent window seat decided to be on his lap top all night with his window shade raised. Approx 4 hours into the flight which took off late at 00.30 we caught the sun up and it filled our part of the cabin with sunlight. The cabin crew did ask but the passenger to lower his shade but he merely dropped it a couple on inches. I found this to be a very selfish act when he could of simply used the shoulder light.

chistery Jun 1, 17 7:18 am

Some people will say he should lower it, some will say you should use the eye shade. No one will agree on the right answer.

nufnuf77 Jun 1, 17 7:26 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 28387385)
What is the general consensus of having your window blind raised on an overnight flight. Having just traveled in F from SIN to LHR travelling in the middle pair the passenger in the adjacent window seat decided to be on his lap top all night with his window shade raised. Approx 4 hours into the flight which took off late at 00.30 we caught the sun up and it filled our part of the cabin with sunlight. The cabin crew did ask but the passenger to lower his shade but he merely dropped it a couple on inches. I found this to be a very selfish act when he could of simply used the shoulder light.

Passenger at the window can be as 'selfish' as he wants. I do not see anything wrong with it, when I read my book I prefer sunlight to artificial light bulb. No-one guarantees you shades down same way he could have had a crying lap infant for 13 hours...

ENTP Jun 1, 17 7:29 am

Hate to be a pedant, but the sun caught up with you - sadly it's not Concorde!!

dbru Jun 1, 17 7:31 am

4-5 hours of sleep aren't too bad. And then comes the new day with daylight. If you cannot sleep with light do the things required. I understand that the crew likes everybody sleeping but why should a passenger with a window seat have the shade closed?

Can I help you Jun 1, 17 7:34 am

I'm totally on the customer seated next to the window side, if you want control of the window choose a window seat.

akinldn Jun 1, 17 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 28387485)
I'm totally on the customer seated next to the window side, if you want control of the window choose a window seat.

But if I take that logic to the extreme, does that mean I can watch shows on my ipad with the volume up and no headsets? Afterall, if they don't like the noise, they have ear plugs.

Can I help you Jun 1, 17 7:46 am

Well let's not take it the extreme then, you don't choose where you sit based on where you can listen to the sound on your iPad, you do however choose a window if you want to look out if it.

simons1 Jun 1, 17 7:52 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 28387385)

Two opposite views I guess. I suppose the passenger at the window would say there was nothing selfish about it as you could have used an eye mask.

Plus if the sun was up then it clearly wasn't night time where the plane was and the passenger might say it was all part of the process of getting attuned to the time difference.

Flyingturkey Jun 1, 17 8:04 am

Planes have no time zone. You sleep and work at different times. Eye shades, noise cancelling head phones and plenty of booze and whatever everyone else does wont bother you.

AC*SE Jun 1, 17 8:12 am

One individual's freedom extends only so far as it doesn't interfere with another's. At that point compromise is required.

If daylight coming into the cabin is interfering with sleep, it strikes me as a minimal imposition on the window seat passenger to rely on artificial light; whereas denying the other passenger sleep is a major imposition that cannot be replaced.

One of the reasons that people fly in F/J is better conditions for sleep. A disrupted sleep pattern will take three days or more to restore, and the greater the disruption, the more difficult a regular pattern will be to restore. Nothing is more important to good mental and physical health, and nothing is more disrupted by air travel. Why expect toleration of selfishness when we all have to share space for a night?

If you want to control the windows, book the entire cabin.

BostonRobin Jun 1, 17 8:12 am

Asking someone to use headphones to keep the noise private is reasonable. I'm pretty sure it's written in the rules of flight somewhere too.

I've only flown PE or J to Europe so far, but even those amenity kits include both eye masks and ear plugs. I wouldn't bother even trying to sleep without them.

Calum Jun 1, 17 8:18 am

If you want control over the window, pick the window seat then. I've done LHR-SIN rtn 4 times and on every flight someone always has their window up.

af101 Jun 1, 17 8:21 am

Oh this old chestnut. Speaking personally I am a huge fan of the window seat, I like to see myself moving when flying, I love to see the scenery go by - I find it very relaxing.

When the cabin crew dim the lights after service I will typically take that as a cue to close my blind. That seems fair.

One exception was on an early morning MIA-LAX once. Beautiful views over the Arizona desert. Evil looks from other passengers but dammit I've not flown over that part of the US before and I wanted to see this stuff!

What really flusters me is when CC ask me to close my blind during meal service because it's annoying another passenger. I've chosen a window seat for a reason, I want to look out! But I don't want to be a **** to another passenger. Not found a nice way out of that one.

paul4040 Jun 1, 17 8:25 am

Travel in F all the time and never worry about bothering a neighbour.