Wiki Posts
Search

Window shades night flights (sun up)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by avon75
What should happen when you're in one of those seats (usually on a short haul) where you have a full window to yourself and a partial of the next one behind you ?
For example, I had one such situation where the guy behind me shut the window that overlapped our seats, yet when I reclined back, the whole 2nd window was clearly in my 'space'. I then opened it back up because I wanted some sunlight.
Any guidance or opinions on etiquette here ?
Well if you follow the guidance of some above, you are terrible, horrible, selfish person. Doubly so for having the audacity to actually recline your seat.

In truth though, if you were actually looking out the window, then I think you were in the right, unless the guy behind you had politely said, "Excuse me, but the light is glaring in my eyes, would you please mind shutting the shade? Thank you."
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aeschylus
Yes.
In that case, +1 ^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adamkenneth
This sounds like good advice to me
^^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
As crew we have to be seen to ask you to pull down the blind if a another customer complains but the customer next to the window has every right to refuse.
I wish I had known that on my LAX-LHR! When the cc asked me to lower the shade I did it fearing I would be in trouble if i did not comply with her instructions!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by avon75
What should happen when you're in one of those seats (usually on a short haul) where you have a full window to yourself and a partial of the next one behind you ?
For example, I had one such situation where the guy behind me shut the window that overlapped our seats, yet when I reclined back, the whole 2nd window was clearly in my 'space'. I then opened it back up because I wanted some sunlight.
Any guidance or opinions on etiquette here ?
Nicely stirred
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I will say it again, if you want control of the window blind then choose a window seat, otherwise let those who have chosen it do as they wish.
That would assume that window seats are always available so I would always have the possibility of controlling it.

Next: this would only be logical if the window only illuminated that one seat. In fact, it lights up the entire cabin.

Last: thankfully most airlines have different policies.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Which airlines and what policy's?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I wish I had known that on my LAX-LHR! When the cc asked me to lower the shade I did it fearing I would be in trouble if i did not comply with her instructions!
It will be made very clear to you if you are being given an instruction rather than having a request made of you.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
How do you know I wasn't, it was for you to decide.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:43 pm

You pick the window seat, you get to control the window. That simple. I've seen flight crew ask people to lower them before and that is what strikes me as disrespectful to be honest. You get a window seat to look out it. You needed an eye mask.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which airlines and what policy's?
Most other airlines I fly on (and this included BA in the past) will make an effort to get the passenger to close their blind. If (s)he is a particular selfish individual, they can't force him/her although QR sometimes overrides the individual controls I believe. Kenya Airways will demand you close the blind.

There is a reason Boeing and Airbus installed this option. It is disrespectful to have an arbitrary seat assignment give more power to that individual. It affects the entire cabin.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you should be prepared for the crew to ask you if you would mind pulling it down if they are asking on behalf of another customer but if you don't wish too you have the right to refuse.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Most other airlines I fly on (and this included BA in the past) will make an effort to get the passenger to close their blind. If (s)he is a particular selfish individual, they can't force him/her although QR sometimes overrides the individual controls I believe.

There is a reason Boeing and Airbus installed this option.
What we will do as a matter of routine is to ask those seated next to the window if they would kindly lower the blind before going to sleep as the sun may rise before we serve breakfast and this will enable everyone to have maximum rest.
We have not been asking customers to lower their blinds on day flights for at least 20 years when the films were shown on a screen at the front of the cabin.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have not been asking customers to lower their blinds on day flights for at least 20 years when the films were shown on a screen at the front of the cabin.
I guess it depends a bit on how you define it. Is a 'day flight' based on the clock of the departing, arriving or current location?

How I see it, if the majority of the cabin is sleeping, why not do everyone a favour? Even if the pax doesn't like it, closing it will only affect him or her personally. Keeping it open will affect the entire cabin. By using the 'it is my window' argument you put your own wishes before everyone else's. I am sure there is a word for that.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I've seen flight crew ask people to lower them before and that is what strikes me as disrespectful to be honest.
I've had crew ask people to lower the shades after landing in hot climates, so the plane stays cooler at the gate while the AC might not be running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.