Window shades night flights (sun up)

Old Jun 2, 17, 8:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nallison View Post
need any help with that shoehorn? Not sure what this has to do with politics, plenty on the left who can be inconsiderate to others, and plenty on the right who will gladly do anything they can to avoid discomforting others.

It's a public space so it's just about making it as comfortable as possible, or minimising discomfort, to the greatest extent possible. Doesn't seem a bad idea to me, in my experience most passengers seem to understand it as I've never seen anyone in a window seat complain, or a rogue window left open. If anyone does open a window they seem to be shocked and slightly panicked at how much light floods in and very quickly slam it shut again.
Glad we both got that out of our systems. My stance against societal pansification has led to me being branded "rightwing" in the past, so I meant only to diffuse any future post in that direction.
Old Jun 2, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
So here's my own take on this, having lived in a metal tube with no sunlight for several months; artificial lights simulating day and night etc.

I always try and book a window seat, if I can't sleep it is nice to see the sky; equally I tend to be a bit of a sheep and if most of the shades are up, mine will be too, but if down I'll put my down. If it's dark outside I'll put it up whilst not sleeping but if I might dose off, I'll put it down just in case. If it's light outside, I'll make a judgement call based on what those around me are doing, not being adverse to using artificial light if required, particularly in the event that the window would cause direct glare. Should anyone politely ask if I could close or open the blind I would try and oblige. I have happily learnt to sleep in the strangest of circumstances and don't bother with an eye mask myself. Thankfully the electronic tinting windows makes for a much easier compromise.

So in a nutshell, take responsibility for your own sleeping actions if required but don't be selfish if folks politely ask.

Last edited by navylad; Jun 2, 17 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 2, 17, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
So in a nutshell, take responsibility for your own sleeping actions if required but don't be selfish if folks politely ask.
This sounds like good advice to me
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:00 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
It's hardly a matter of ideology, only one's level of awareness of others. Since the first enclosed cabin, windows have been a constant component of the design of passenger a/c. Live with it. Carry an eyeshade.

Shucks, with UA and AA planning to add more seats, soon we'll be flying standing erect anyway.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Being in the shade with bright light shining/ reflections cause ocular migraines with me. I have had this happen many times on flights when that one person has the shade open & bright light reflects off the tv screen. I have to keep my eyes covered or closed until the glare/reflections stop or I lose vision or prism vision for approx 30 minutes, followed by headache. #keepSunglassesHandy
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by banness View Post
Being in the shade with bright light shining/ reflections cause ocular migraines with me. I have had this happen many times on flights when that one person has the shade open & bright light reflects off the tv screen. I have to keep my eyes covered or closed until the glare/reflections stop or I lose vision or prism vision for approx 30 minutes, followed by headache. #keepSunglassesHandy
I'd suggest that a letter from your neurologist could help ensure you have a window seat to avoid what sounds a horrible situation.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Grog View Post
I need help here...sarcasm?
Yes.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A lot of pretty selfish people posting IMO.

IMO If you want to be in a plane where you can do exactly what you want then you should hire a private jet.

Otherwise, have a little consideration for the other passengers and if people are people trying to sleep that would be affected by you having the window up then it is considerate to close it and selfish not to.

If no one is sleeping or your window won't affect them then do what you want.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
A lot of pretty selfish people posting IMO.

IMO If you want to be in a plane where you can do exactly what you want then you should hire a private jet.

Otherwise, have a little consideration for the other passengers and if people are people trying to sleep that would be affected by you having the window up then it is considerate to close it and selfish not to.

If no one is sleeping or your window won't affect them then do what you want.
Is there a reason why those wanting to sleep can't wear the eye mask? All First passengers are provided with eye masks for exactly that purpose.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I will say it again, if you want control of the window blind then choose a window seat, otherwise let those who have chosen it do as they wish.
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Aadvantage now dormant
Wow - so polarising ! I have only ever asked for the blind (on the other side of the cabin) to be lowered once via a crew member as the sun was shining directly in my eyes.
I like the window, I like my blind open when there are things to see - fortunately I am not that light sensitive but do realise that ones eyelids aren't completely opaque .
I find eyeshades strangely constricting despite my smallish head so would not want to wear them. That is my problem - not anyone elses.
Being sensitive to others and not blinding them with laser like beams of light is common sense - that is where it starts and ends for me.
Old Jun 2, 17, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As crew I'm happy to ask a customer to concider pulling the blind down if another customer is bothered by the light but happy to support the window customer if they refuse.
Old Jun 2, 17, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 View Post
What is the general consensus of having your window blind raised on an overnight flight. Having just traveled in F from SIN to LHR travelling in the middle pair the passenger in the adjacent window seat decided to be on his lap top all night with his window shade raised. Approx 4 hours into the flight which took off late at 00.30 we caught the sun up and it filled our part of the cabin with sunlight. The cabin crew did ask but the passenger to lower his shade but he merely dropped it a couple on inches. I found this to be a very selfish act when he could of simply used the shoulder light.
Perhaps this person was claustrophobic and having the shade open was important to them. They picked a seat where control of the shade was in their hands.
Old Jun 2, 17, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
What should happen when you're in one of those seats (usually on a short haul) where you have a full window to yourself and a partial of the next one behind you ?
For example, I had one such situation where the guy behind me shut the window that overlapped our seats, yet when I reclined back, the whole 2nd window was clearly in my 'space'. I then opened it back up because I wanted some sunlight.
Any guidance or opinions on etiquette here ?
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Perhaps this person was claustrophobic and having the shade open was important to them. They picked a seat where control of the shade was in their hands.
This is quite a good point. In conversation with a colleague of mine who despite flying on 50-100 segments a year is still a bit nervous about it, he mentioned that in recent turbulence on approach he had immediately sought a view out of the window to fixed points outside to reassure him that the aircraft was in a reasonable attitude and the situation was under control. He feels most unhappy if he can't get this, for example in cloud at night.

Meanwhile, people who are determined to have darkness are often much more confrontational, for reasons that elude me. Being a bigger a***hole does not make them more right than the person wanting daylight or a view. Someone who insists, in effect, that "I demand you all fly in (boring, disorienting, sleep-cycle-disturbing) darkness because I don't want to wear an eye mask" is extremely selfish.

I am still with navylad and CIHY that one should consider one's own desires and then how reasonable another person's request might be and how numerous they are, and seek a balance.

Personally I often have the window partly open, or open it to take a look out occasionally, day or night, when I am awake during a flight.

Search this Thread