FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Window shades night flights (sun up) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1845728-window-shades-night-flights-sun-up.html)

nallison Jun 1, 2017 9:51 am

One thing this does tend to show up, like those other examples mentioned, is those who generally think only of themselves in their behavior, and those who have a bit of consideration for others and are willing to make small sacrifices for the benefit of the majority. I assume those who say 'I chose the window, I can do what I like with it, screw everyone else' take that attitude into other aspects of life.

irishguy28 Jun 1, 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28388104)
I believe you mean transparent.

Yes! Thank you

Tobias-UK Jun 1, 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 28388118)
One thing this does tend to show up, like those other examples mentioned, is those who generally think only of themselves in their behavior, and those who have a bit of consideration for others and are willing to make small sacrifices for the benefit of the majority. I assume those who say 'I chose the window, I can do what I like with it, screw everyone else' take that attitude into other aspects of life.

I don't see it like that at all. There are two reasons for asking to have the blinds closed (1) sun in the eyes of another passenger/IFE screen glare and (2) sleeping. For (1), I'd gladly oblige, for (2) the airline provides eye shades.

But yes I take your point, people can be selfish and I know some will refuse to wear eye shades and instead ask those at the window to close their blind instead.

BrianWBrazil Jun 1, 2017 10:16 am

When I fly on the BA249 LHR-GIG, it's a daytime lasting 11 hours that leaves in the morning and arrives in the evening (which in the summer months, can still be light). The entire journey is made with all the blinds down; I can't remember and instance when this was not the case. The crew tour the cabin after the meal and lower the blinds; nobody questions this policy. This is much better for everyone as people can choose to sleep or watch IFE in comfort. In any case, there is nothing to see out of the windows over the Atlantic Ocean and only a small number of passengers are actually seated in a window, so why should the minority rule the majority?

kellytoronto Jun 1, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil (Post 28388231)
...and only a small number of passengers are actually seated in a window, so why should the minority rule the majority?

Well, technically, as the OP was talking about F, the majority of BA planes have 50% window seats, and the 747 have more than 50%, thus the majority have windows across the fleet.

golfmad Jun 1, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil;28388231...
so why should the minority rule the majority?

Because it's not a democracy.

bestuseofpoints Jun 1, 2017 11:03 am

tough one and I guess there are no right or wrong answers. The best way to safeguard yourself would be to pick up a window seat yourself next time as it could give you a bit more privacy and less direct light exposure if you just lay down facing your closed window.

Nevertheless you can always make good use of the first class kit provided...
^

nallison Jun 1, 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 28388452)
Because it's not a democracy.

Actually it kind of is, as it's public transport and on most airlines the policy is indeed that the majority rules with flight attendants representing their wishes and asking that you put down your window shade.

KARFA Jun 1, 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 28388650)
Actually it kind of is, as it's public transport and on most airlines the policy is indeed that the majority rules with flight attendants representing their wishes and asking that you put down your window shade.

Why does a few flight attendants asking you represent a democracy? Also there is no problem saying no if asked as a BA cc member has indicated in this thread already.

nallison Jun 1, 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28388146)
I don't see it like that at all. There are two reasons for asking to have the blinds closed (1) sun in the eyes of another passenger/IFE screen glare and (2) sleeping. For (1), I'd gladly oblige, for (2) the airline provides eye shades.

But yes I take your point, people can be selfish and I know some will refuse to wear eye shades and instead ask those at the window to close their blind instead.

As I said, I like sitting by the window, I like to look out of it, so I'm not sure who you are referring to? But I will lower it out of respect for others.

Someone always makes that point which is of course completely irrational/illogical, as it is for the benefit of a group rather than an individual that shades are lowered. If the majority prefer the shade lowered and only one wants it raised which causes significant disturbance to others, I think the English language is clear which is being selfish. But you know that.

nallison Jun 1, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28388682)
Why does a few flight attendants asking you represent a democracy? Also there is no problem saying no if asked as a BA cc member has indicated in this thread already.

​​​​​​They are there trying to balance everyone's wishes as best as possible, and while you can say no (a lot of airlines are not so flexible) it doesn't mean you don't look a bit of an arse to everyone else on board. It's fairly DYKWIA to start refusing crew requests to make the flight more comfortable for everyone else.

Tobias-UK Jun 1, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 28388684)
As I said, I like sitting by the window, I like to look out of it, so I'm not sure who you are referring to? But I will lower it out of respect for others.

Someone always makes that point which is of course completely irrational/illogical, as it is for the benefit of a group rather than an individual that shades are lowered. If the majority prefer the shade lowered and only one wants it raised which causes significant disturbance to others, I think the English language is clear which is being selfish. But you know that.

I was referring to no one at all, just commenting on the quoted post.

madfish Jun 1, 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28388146)

^:)

KARFA Jun 1, 2017 11:43 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 28388700)
​​​​​​They are there trying to balance everyone's wishes as best as possible, and while you can say no (a lot of airlines are not so flexible) it doesn't mean you don't look a bit of an arse to everyone else on board. It's fairly DYKWIA to start refusing crew requests to make the flight more comfortable for everyone else.

Ok. Well I am guessing you don't know what a democracy is unless you are saying each request was preceded by a show of hands by all in the cabin.

As noted the crew have to be seen to ask, but you are perfectly ok to say no. I can't see the DYKWIA element in that.

madfish Jun 1, 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 28388700)

I don't think it does make it more comfortable for everybody else. If everybody else does it because they want to that is very much different to everybody else doing it because they have been asked. I am sure they're are more than just 1 person on a flight in F wanting the blind open at any given time.