Window shades night flights (sun up)

Old Jun 4, 17, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by nallison View Post
Good to know your social manners, if there's no obligation you don't do it. Fortunately the rest of us grew up after our teenage years and think of others around us.
You're descending into personal attacks now, and not helping your argument in doing so.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:22 am

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
EK, definitely not. Complete nonsense.
I guess it shows it's down to personal experience and the particular crew. The previous poster said no to SG and in my experience they are some of the hardest on this, my SG flights both ways they were very strict on blinds.

Frankly it shouldn't matter how the crew is, just don't be an arse to other passengers when you are well aware what is preferred.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
You're descending into personal attacks now, and not helping your argument in doing so.
I've seen how the person I'm speaking to speaks to to others, as a supposed ambassador it's very poor. No personal attacks, just a general comment that I imagine the vast majority of flyers would agree with about any individual passenger keeping their window open. I find it odd anyone would do that when it obviously upsets the majority. But I guess thinking of others is so last century.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Good to know your social manners, if there's no obligation you don't do it. Fortunately the rest of us grew up after our teenage years and think of others around us.

OK, so you believe because you sit next to a window, you control the lighting for everyone. We'll have to agree to disagree, as I said, I often choose the window, but I am well aware I should close it when everyone else does. I genuinely don't understand why that is so hard for people to understand. In any other room I can only imagine the reaction if, for instance one person sat nearest the window said, 'it's mine mwahahaha'!

I'm actually on your side in terms of a window view, I just think people who make a principle about closing it are being pretty ridiculous.
Why are you getting so wound up? If you look at my first post in this topic I explained very clearly what my view is. I don't see how keeping my blind up on a daytime flight in an attempt to avoid jetlag and get in to the correct time zone is any more selfish than the person wanting me to close the blind because s/he doesn't want to wear eye shades. How am I the one poor social manners? Why am I the selfish one? Everyone in First is provided with eyeshades, the design of the cabin provides each seat in the cabin a degree of protection from the glare of outside light.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I've seen how the person I'm speaking to speaks to to others, as a supposed ambassador it's very poor. No personal attacks, just a general comment that I imagine the vast majority of flyers would agree with about any individual passenger keeping their window open. I find it odd anyone would do that when it obviously upsets the majority. But I guess thinking of others is so last century.
I have not spoken out of turn to you at all. Disagreeing with you is not being insulting or impolite. It is you who is hurling out the insults, not I.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I get so annoyed about the closing of blinds on day flights. I love flying - often choosing day flights deliberately so I can look down on the stunning beauty of our world but almost invariably after a few minutes in the air all blinds are shut. I have flown over India many times but not once have I ever seen it from the air! Yesterday I left Bangkok at 09:20 in a lovely business class seat on QR831 In a virtually empty cabin) and before we reached the border with Myanmar it was all blinds closed and breakfast in darkness or by artificial light - didn't mind over the Bay of Bengal but yet again no view of India. I understand others may not have begun their journey that morning in Bangkok as I did and therefore may want to sleep but that is what the eye shades are for surely! Then, on flight 2 from DOH to LHR whilst enjoying the amazing scenery of Iran exactly the same thing again - all shades shut. I am not one to cause a fuss so glared a little at those who looked like they wanted to sleep (but then spent the whole flight watching movies!) and muttered under my breath about it so don't know if actually I could have just opened mine again - does anyone know if it is QR policy? I think I might fly the world in a series of short haul in future as at least then one gets to enjoy the view from the window as it seems the desire to plunge everyone into darkness - feed and water them and then hope they all sleep for the rest of the journey is a long haul cabin crew preferred working practice. I hate having to shut my blinds - the best views ever are of our amazing world from 39000 feet! To all people who love flying in darkness on day flights - you are all mad!!
Old Jun 4, 17, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I have a friend who gets very bad motion sickness if she can't look out. I'd rather have a bit of light come in, than have a sick passenger next to me. Just an example, some people have valid reasons to keep the shades open. I have eyeshades if light in cabin bothers me. Just like I have my NC headphones for noise.
I'm always at a window seat and tend to close it for the night, but when I'm awake, the shades stay open.
Old Jun 4, 17, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
Nallison I am baffled by your anger here. Nowadays we have a handful of people who prefer blinds up and that gives an ambient light setting, not a dazzling one. If you need utter darkness in the middle of the day you use the eyeshades. Now stop raging at those who have a different view and show a degree of tolerance for the different view. Until that light is dazzling you or your screen, it's not your business while you have eyeshades that allow you total darkness. Or are you just someone who needs to have utter control?
Old Jun 4, 17, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The F eye masks are one of my best take always from my trip in F. They are very effective and comfortable. Flying in the back other day I had to be woken up as we came in to land and the whole cabin was bright with full cabin lights on but I didn't notice with those on.

As for ear plugs I find the old yellow CW better than the ones I got in F which seem to be the same as the WT+ ones - just grey instead of blue.

Personally I don't mind if people have their window blinds open. I always wear an eye mask when trying to sleep as I'd rather sleep when they start raising the cabin lights for breakfast than wake up.
Old Jun 4, 17, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
Nallison I am baffled by your anger here. Nowadays we have a handful of people who prefer blinds up and that gives an ambient light setting, not a dazzling one. If you need utter darkness in the middle of the day you use the eyeshades. Now stop raging at those who have a different view and show a degree of tolerance for the different view. Until that light is dazzling you or your screen, it's not your business while you have eyeshades that allow you total darkness. Or are you just someone who needs to have utter control?
This getting hilarious. For about the 7th time, no, I don't need control, as a I actually prefer to look out of the window. I just have some awareness of my surrounding​s and am not selfish so I close it. I don't believe I should have sole control of the the light in a public area. Others do, and this being an internet forum no-one will admit they might reconsider their behaviour now they are aware.

If it makes some of you uncomfortable that some of us can see it's selfish, so you have to attack me and misrepresent my posts, well I can't help that.

Last edited by nallison; Jun 4, 17 at 12:06 pm
Old Jun 4, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
After reading the posts in this thread/yarn/cable, it's increasingly obvious that Boeing, Airbus, and the copycats in Russia and China (new a/c, in both cases so familiar to designs from 20-30 years back as to raise the question) must start building a/c with duplicate "Economy" cabins, one w/windows, one w/o, although among the "wide bodies", a bulkhead down the middle might work, windows on one side, but not t'other.

Just think of it, a choice of "Sol" or "Sombra" for air travel....Cost recovery? Well, the airlines could charge more for pax who demand/require/request choice.
Old Jun 10, 17, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I've had crew ask people to lower the shades after landing in hot climates, so the plane stays cooler at the gate while the AC might not be running.
That's not what I was referring to at all, I meant in flight.
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Well let's not take it the extreme then
Let's see how that goes ...

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
As far as I'm concerned I'm in a shared space so I'd try to fit in with other people's needs when I can do so without causing myself a silly amount of inconvenience.
We should make more of you

I'm just wondering, in your office spaces and homes, does the person sat next to the window have entire control of the lighting in the area, or is it generally a more consensual decision?
When I sleep in the office I leave the lights on.

Ok, off the top of my head, AA, UA, SG, KE, QF, FJ, AV, LA, EK

I also posted a link to a trip report on doing it in forward cabins, and a simple google search will find you lots more.
In my experience of both AA, LA and QF, they might ask if you would lower the blind, but when you say "I am working thank you" then you are left alone. I have never been instructed to lower a blind during a day flight.

QR are a bit annoying with those electronic dimmers, but you can just open the blind again.
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
The only flight I have been on where the CC have requested the blinds to be shut was on the later LAX-LHR flight. It left around 9pm if I remember correctly and obviously a night flight, but due to the direction of travel, the sun would rise pretty soon into the flight. I think this was a fair request and I wouldn't have wanted to potentially disturb 95% of the CW cabin I was in by opening a blind, but had it been a day flight to be asked to lower the blind by CC would be ridiculous.

if a passenger asked me to lower a blind on a day flight, I probably would if everyone else had to give that passenger more comfort.

I personally find light from the galley when passengers leave the curtains open or light from tv screens on the welcome screen more annoying when trying to sleep than if someone has their window open. I think that's from the mindset though, as these are things are easily avoidable and if passengers were considerate, would not happen.
Old Jun 11, 17, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's a standard procedure to make an announcement requesting that customers pull down the blinds before going to sleep if we are headed into sunshine overnight.

Search this Thread