Window shades night flights (sun up)

Old Jun 2, 17, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Well if it's a night flight it will be dark so it doesn't matter if the blinds are up or down, we are talking about when it is daytime.
You are being disingenuous

Late night departure heading east end up flying through daylight on what is essentially a night flight.

So it's drink and dinner then sleep ... until some clown opens a blind somewhere over the bay of Bengal, closes it because there's nothing to see, repeats every 10 minutes.
Old Jun 2, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Eye masks are great
I use them if i want to sleep in the day at home; they really work to help sleep
The thing that always wakes me up on planes is when the cabin crew start a breakfast service ; i.e sound is worse than light

I think us window looker outerers are in the minority
Air enthusiasts see windows as the pleasure of flying
If i am on a transatlantic and I know its a clear morning on arrival its great to take in the english and irish coast line.

Always fascinates me when flying when some window seat passengers shut their blinds at the earliest opportunity even when on the 'shade' side of the plane

Do other people think about sun direction when booking their window seat?

The fashion for fuselage cameras to view on your IFE seems to have gone out of fashion and never seem to work when they are there...... but maybe this could be a development
Old Jun 3, 17, 10:09 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
To steal a line: "Breathes there a man with soul so dead..." who does not marvel at that first glimpse of Ireland's green and recall for a moment the "Lone Eagle's" similar sighting.

There are other moments of travel, even air travel, worth remembering, a few among them.....

Cape Farewell
Aurora Borealis
Gibraltar
Elsinore
The Golden Gate
Venice
....and for sailors out of Mayport returning from the Med, 2CB, the St. John's Sea Buoy
Old Jun 3, 17, 10:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
... Do other people think about sun direction when booking their window seat? ...
Always, for the reasons stated in my earlier post
Old Jun 3, 17, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
From the classics:
Hilarious
Old Jun 3, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
Do other people think about sun direction when booking their window seat?
Absolutely. Also the direction of takeoff/landing, so I know if I'll have a city view or not.
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:41 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 17 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 4, 17, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
I also rely on daylight to manage jet lag. Closing the shades on daytime flights really screws me up, as I will sleep when I need to stay awake.

Putting the reading light on doesn't address this one.

I've got a daylight simulation wearable that I have yet to use on a flight. Hopefully it won't ever be necessary.
Old Jun 4, 17, 1:56 am

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by simonrp84 View Post
This. If any airlines tried to enforce a 'window policy' on me then I will avoid them as much as possible.
I imagine you will miss them more than they will miss you, given every airline I've ever been on does this, and as it generally goes without a hitch, I guess most people agree?

Again, I ask, what makes planes special that one person should control the lighting in an entire room for everyone? I'm sure you wouldn't accept that in your home/office/cinema. You might even get angry if one person chose to ruin the ambiance against the wishes of everyone else. Maybe think about that next time you're by a window, you have been given one hell of a privilege, but a lot of other people would quite like you to not be a git.

Again I say this as someone who prefers the window and can't actually sleep on planes, before you descend on me like the friendly, welcoming, mods you are.
Old Jun 4, 17, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by nallison View Post
I imagine you will miss them more than they will miss you, given every airline I've ever been on does this, and as it generally goes without a hitch, I guess most people agree? ...
You keep repeating this, but which airlines?
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
You keep repeating this, but which airlines?
Ok, off the top of my head, AA, UA, SG, KE, QF, FJ, AV, LA, EK

I also posted a link to a trip report on doing it in forward cabins, and a simple google search will find you lots more.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:09 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 17 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:10 am

I also posted a link to a trip report on doing it in forward cabins, and a simple google search will find you lots more.
AA = No
QF = No
EK = No
SG = No

I've not flown the others recently so cannot comment. But whilst some airlines will ask if you 'wouldn't mind' closing the blind (like BA) there is no obligation to do so and no policy for the crew to enforce it.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:16 am

EK, definitely not. Complete nonsense.
Old Jun 4, 17, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
AA = No
QF = No
EK = No
SG = No

I've not flown the others recently so cannot comment. But whilst some airlines will ask if you 'wouldn't mind' closing the blind (like BA) there is no obligation to do so and no policy for the crew to enforce it.

Good to know your social manners, if there's no obligation you don't do it. Fortunately the rest of us grew up after our teenage years and think of others around us.

OK, so you believe because you sit next to a window, you control the lighting for everyone. We'll have to agree to disagree, as I said, I often choose the window, but I am well aware I should close it when everyone else does. I genuinely don't understand why that is so hard for people to understand. In any other room I can only imagine the reaction if, for instance one person sat nearest the window said, 'it's mine mwahahaha'!

I'm actually on your side in terms of a window view, I just think people who make a principle about closing it are being pretty ridiculous.

Search this Thread