Window shades night flights (sun up)

Old Jun 2, 17, 12:04 pm
  #136  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,910
Originally Posted by avon75 View Post
What should happen when you're in one of those seats (usually on a short haul) where you have a full window to yourself and a partial of the next one behind you ?
For example, I had one such situation where the guy behind me shut the window that overlapped our seats, yet when I reclined back, the whole 2nd window was clearly in my 'space'. I then opened it back up because I wanted some sunlight.
Any guidance or opinions on etiquette here ?
Well if you follow the guidance of some above, you are terrible, horrible, selfish person. Doubly so for having the audacity to actually recline your seat.

In truth though, if you were actually looking out the window, then I think you were in the right, unless the guy behind you had politely said, "Excuse me, but the light is glaring in my eyes, would you please mind shutting the shade? Thank you."
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:06 pm
  #137  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,810
Originally Posted by Aeschylus View Post
Yes.
In that case, +1
Grog is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:09 pm
  #138  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Heathrow flight path
Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by adamkenneth View Post
This sounds like good advice to me
bmi goldenboy is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:13 pm
  #139  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,546
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
As crew we have to be seen to ask you to pull down the blind if a another customer complains but the customer next to the window has every right to refuse.
I wish I had known that on my LAX-LHR! When the cc asked me to lower the shade I did it fearing I would be in trouble if i did not comply with her instructions!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:13 pm
  #140  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 8,853
Originally Posted by avon75 View Post
What should happen when you're in one of those seats (usually on a short haul) where you have a full window to yourself and a partial of the next one behind you ?
For example, I had one such situation where the guy behind me shut the window that overlapped our seats, yet when I reclined back, the whole 2nd window was clearly in my 'space'. I then opened it back up because I wanted some sunlight.
Any guidance or opinions on etiquette here ?
Nicely stirred
golfmad is online now  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:27 pm
  #141  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,850
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I will say it again, if you want control of the window blind then choose a window seat, otherwise let those who have chosen it do as they wish.
That would assume that window seats are always available so I would always have the possibility of controlling it.

Next: this would only be logical if the window only illuminated that one seat. In fact, it lights up the entire cabin.

Last: thankfully most airlines have different policies.
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:37 pm
  #142  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,208
Which airlines and what policy's?
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:38 pm
  #143  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,810
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
I wish I had known that on my LAX-LHR! When the cc asked me to lower the shade I did it fearing I would be in trouble if i did not comply with her instructions!
It will be made very clear to you if you are being given an instruction rather than having a request made of you.
TabTraveller is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:39 pm
  #144  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,208
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
I wish I had known that on my LAX-LHR! When the cc asked me to lower the shade I did it fearing I would be in trouble if i did not comply with her instructions!
How do you know I wasn't, it was for you to decide.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:43 pm
  #145  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,531
You pick the window seat, you get to control the window. That simple. I've seen flight crew ask people to lower them before and that is what strikes me as disrespectful to be honest. You get a window seat to look out it. You needed an eye mask.
AllieKat is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:49 pm
  #146  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,850
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Which airlines and what policy's?
Most other airlines I fly on (and this included BA in the past) will make an effort to get the passenger to close their blind. If (s)he is a particular selfish individual, they can't force him/her although QR sometimes overrides the individual controls I believe. Kenya Airways will demand you close the blind.

There is a reason Boeing and Airbus installed this option. It is disrespectful to have an arbitrary seat assignment give more power to that individual. It affects the entire cabin.
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:49 pm
  #147  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,208
I think you should be prepared for the crew to ask you if you would mind pulling it down if they are asking on behalf of another customer but if you don't wish too you have the right to refuse.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:53 pm
  #148  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,208
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Most other airlines I fly on (and this included BA in the past) will make an effort to get the passenger to close their blind. If (s)he is a particular selfish individual, they can't force him/her although QR sometimes overrides the individual controls I believe.

There is a reason Boeing and Airbus installed this option.
What we will do as a matter of routine is to ask those seated next to the window if they would kindly lower the blind before going to sleep as the sun may rise before we serve breakfast and this will enable everyone to have maximum rest.
We have not been asking customers to lower their blinds on day flights for at least 20 years when the films were shown on a screen at the front of the cabin.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:58 pm
  #149  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,850
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
We have not been asking customers to lower their blinds on day flights for at least 20 years when the films were shown on a screen at the front of the cabin.
I guess it depends a bit on how you define it. Is a 'day flight' based on the clock of the departing, arriving or current location?

How I see it, if the majority of the cabin is sleeping, why not do everyone a favour? Even if the pax doesn't like it, closing it will only affect him or her personally. Keeping it open will affect the entire cabin. By using the 'it is my window' argument you put your own wishes before everyone else's. I am sure there is a word for that.
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:59 pm
  #150  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 3,945
Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
I've seen flight crew ask people to lower them before and that is what strikes me as disrespectful to be honest.
I've had crew ask people to lower the shades after landing in hot climates, so the plane stays cooler at the gate while the AC might not be running.
Jagboi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread