Silly buy onboard question

Old May 30, 17, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Silly buy onboard question

Organisation cutbacks I have to do a Europe flight in economy next week. I will have to buy lunch onboard no problems but I will have to produce receipts to reclaim the costs. My organisation allows no receipts that contain alcohol to be processed - not that you can't claim for alcohol worse you can't claim anything on a receipt that contains alcohol.
I would not hold up the service to others by asking for two transactions so before I have a dry flight can I just confirm are the receipts fully itemised?
Old May 30, 17, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I wouldn't worry about having two separate transactions holding up the service, You could also buy something in the terminal and take onboard with you leaving you free to buy alcohol on board should you wish.
Old May 30, 17, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Or you could purchase your lunch in the airport, possibly better quality, defiitely lower price, keep the receipt and booze it up on the plane with your own money!
(Sorry I can't help with your actual question)
Old May 30, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I've only bought on board a couple of times but actually don't remember being given a receipt.
Old May 30, 17, 4:06 pm

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but in similar circs I would buy food before boarding and then buy alcohol on the flight. No problem with separate receipts and better choice/prices as a bonus!
Old May 30, 17, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
The receipts are itemised. I wouldn't worry; just request two separate transactions.

Originally Posted by rembrandtuk View Post
I've only bought on board a couple of times but actually don't remember being given a receipt.
You have to request a receipt.
Old May 30, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA, VS
Was on 749 home from Basel tonight and any form of receipt was causing issues. The payment machine wasn't talking to the printer and the backup printer didn't initially work. Only 17 on the flight (15 in ET) so the delay didn't cause any real issues.

Couple of guys opposite managed to amass more than GBP 50 on drinks, hot and cold food. Each to their own. I enjoyed a Hen and some cashews for a modest number of Avios.
Old May 30, 17, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mjuler View Post
Was on 749 home from Basel tonight and any form of receipt was causing issues. The payment machine wasn't talking to the printer and the backup printer didn't initially work. Only 17 on the flight (15 in ET) so the delay didn't cause any real issues.

Couple of guys opposite managed to amass more than GBP 50 on drinks, hot and cold food. Each to their own. I enjoyed a Hen and some cashews for a modest number of Avios.
They probably thought it was good value seeing as a coffee costs about 50 pounds in Basel.

The OP's employer sounds miserable. Presumably not in anything sales based- how are you supposed to entertain clients without booze.😀
Old May 30, 17, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
how are you supposed to entertain clients without booze.😀
With charm, tantilising conversation and good food? Many cultures out there that don't rely on getting people drunk to get a sale
Old May 30, 17, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many people are in jobs where they do not have a customer-facing role and accordingly enteratinment expenses are not part of the reimbursement.

On the other hand, it seems excessive to require receipts below the tax amount and even worse to deny reimbursement for the non-alcohol part of a receipt which happens to show alcohol on it.

Better to join many UK, Canadian & US companies and simply provide a per diem allowance based on destination. If one chooses to eat crackers for breakfast & lunch and then splurge on dinner, what difference does it make?
Old May 30, 17, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Many people are in jobs where they do not have a customer-facing role and accordingly enteratinment expenses are not part of the reimbursement.

On the other hand, it seems excessive to require receipts below the tax amount and even worse to deny reimbursement for the non-alcohol part of a receipt which happens to show alcohol on it.

Better to join many UK, Canadian & US companies and simply provide a per diem allowance based on destination. If one chooses to eat crackers for breakfast & lunch and then splurge on dinner, what difference does it make?
Tax. In the U.S., per diem is considered as taxable income while reimbursement is not. Assuming a business person travels 4 days * 40 weeks = 160 days, $50 per day in meals (low in major cities in the U.S.). That's a $8,000 taxable income difference and $2,400 tax liability (good for a J ticket), assuming a 30% individual effective tax rate.

(This does not represent any tax or financial advice)

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 30, 17 at 5:54 pm
Old May 30, 17, 9:57 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
Tax. In the U.S., per diem is considered as taxable income while reimbursement is not.
This is incorrect -- I suggest reading
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/perdiemfaq&a.prn.pdf
Old May 30, 17, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
The receipts are itemised. I wouldn't worry; just request two separate transactions.

You have to request a receipt.
Thanks I might of course forget to get a receipt and try and blame an IT malfunction I'm on a tight connection but will maybe try the buy at the airport suggestion on the way out.
Old May 31, 17, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

care to share/link the per diem allowances and rules for UK companies?
Old May 31, 17, 1:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can make the food transaction and ask for a receipt. The receipt comes off a bluetooth printer which isn't quite as slow as the main Tourvest POS but you can tell crew are a bit relieved if you say "no receipt needed".

The way I would do this (well, as a total abstainer this isn't what I would do, but anyways) is by getting the main meal, presenting your card, and asking for a receipt for expensing. Then either use a second card, or better still use Avios to buy the alcohol. You hardly need a receipt for the Avios transaction since you'll get a line on your BAEC statement a few days later, and if it is wrong then it's relatively easy to challenge.

If you can use contactless or Apple Pay that greatly speeds up the transaction (Avios is actually a bit clunky). If both transactions are with contactless, then the fact that one has a receipt won't slow things down by very much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: