Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by strichener
You are correct, these are not new rules as they aren't rules. There is no law requiring you to identify yourself when travelling within the UK.

I am not sure why you would see comparisons to Iran as bothersome but out of your alternative three, only Belgium has any compulsion to carry identification.
OK if you are going to dispute NL requirement once age of 14years and older, which I reserve right to dissagree with having resided in NL since 2006 ...

It is definitely not just Belgium as in Luxemburg for one is definitely compulsory to carry ID on you at ALL times
Old May 31, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally Posted by scubaccr
With your premise, if arriving flier on International flight had LHR International connection they would transfer on arrival to airside T5 without immigration and fly as you and enter UK illegally?
No you can't do this. If they took a bp for a domestic flight and tried to use that after going through the INT-INT connection channel they would be found out at the gate since there was no biometrics attached to the bp, or if someone else had used the domestic bp to go through security already the biometrics wouldn't match.

I am afraid your suggested method of entering the UK illegally wouldn't work - you'll have to find another route, good luck
I don't think this is what ermen was musing about. As I read the post, they simply need to get 4 BA sectors in for status but don't want the hassle of flying them themselves. So why not buy two round-trip domestic tickets in their own name, but get someone else to actually fly them seeing as there is no compulsory ID check?

As Calchas says, that could come unstuck pretty quickly. I suspect that it may be fraudulent in any event.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think this is what ermen was musing about. As I read the post, they simply need to get 4 BA sectors in for status but don't want the hassle of flying them themselves. So why not buy two round-trip domestic tickets in their own name, but get someone else to actually fly them seeing as there is no compulsory ID check?

As Calchas says, that could come unstuck pretty quickly. I suspect that it may be fraudulent in any event.
I agree, I was just replying to scubaccr's concern that someone could try and enter the UK illegally when they were supposed to be transiting.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
OK if you are going to dispute NL requirement once age of 14years and older, which I reserve right to dissagree with having resided in NL since 2006 ...

It is definitely not just Belgium as in Luxemburg for one is definitely compulsory to carry ID on you at ALL times
That isn't what I disputed. Also I was referring to a list of countries provided by the poster that I responded to, not providing an exhaustive list of countries that require the carrying of ID.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:02 pm

the police do have powers to require you to produce ID when at an airport
No, they don't because there is no requirement in the UK to own any photo ID
Old May 31, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by chrisboote
No, they don't because there is no requirement in the UK to own any photo ID
I think you need to read the specific law we were discussing in relation to this.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:38 pm

I agree, I was just replying to scubaccr's concern that someone could try and enter the UK illegally when they were supposed to be transiting.
If someone wants to enter the UK illegally with no UK passport or other ID checks, they just fly XXX-DUB-LHR

It's also possible they might have no right to enter Eire, but be allowed to board due to shoddy checks at their departure airport, but that's not 100%

Once they arrive in DUB as a transiting passenger, they just go to the departing gate, and fly to LHR

There is never passport nor customs control at T2 (Aer Fungus) nor T5 (BA)
Old May 31, 2017, 1:58 pm

If someone wants to enter the UK illegally with no UK passport or other ID checks, they just fly XXX-DUB-LHR

It's also possible they might have no right to enter Eire, but be allowed to board due to shoddy checks at their departure airport, but that's not 100%

Once they arrive in DUB as a transiting passenger, they just go to the departing gate, and fly to LHR

I don't believe T2 at DUB is mixed arriving and departing passengers and any arrivals would go through immigration. The UK and Ireland form the Common Travel Area.

What shoddy checks are you on about? Is this just your own speculation or have you got some concrete evidence to share with us?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

Does not work. All arriving passengers at DUB need to go through Irish immigration, connecting or not, except arrivals on gates 201-220 connecting to departures on the same gate range; however these gates are currently used only for CTA flights pending the construction of a segregated arrival route.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I'm starting to think that the Domestics request for Photo ID is just for me!

About an hour ago I once more tried to check a suitcase in T5 in the First checkin area, for a domestic flight, handing over only my BAEC (GGL!) card. After finding my booking, and printing the luggage tag, the checkin agent then asked for photo ID. I pointed out that the website said that a BAEC card is enough, he counted that "it had changed yesterday" and refused to tag the bag until I handed a driving license or passport over.

I had too many liquids in the suitcase to take it carry-on only, so I didn't want to just take it back + walk off, as I'd have to ditch more than I'd want to at security. After a bit of back and forth on what the website said, I had to hand over a driving license to get my bag tagged

So, unless things really did change yesterday, I fear the T5 First staff just don't like me...
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
After finding my booking, and printing the luggage tag, the checkin agent then asked for photo ID. I pointed out that the website said that a BAEC card is enough, he counted that "it had changed yesterday" and refused to tag the bag until I handed a driving license or passport over.

You've got to go hand-luggage only, it makes life much easier my friend.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:34 pm

You need to present id if checking a bag - doesn't need to be a passport though.

If hand baggage only no ID required whether inbound or outbound from T5 on a domestic flight. I have never been asked and I do a fair few domestic flights.
BA5E likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:13 pm

he counted that "it had changed yesterday" and refused to tag the bag until I handed a driving license or passport over.
Well done for keeping your cool, I would have been hard pressed not to go nuclear and get a supervisor to read out the rules to the agent and I. Total lies to try and bully a customer.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I've just had a rather odd experience at T5 first class checkin, on my way to Manchester. I'm following CWS best practice, and travelling HBO, but I didn't have easy access to a printer so approached the desks to get my online checkin boarding pass printed. Handed over my BAEC card, and asked if they'd mind printing the boarding pass for me

Agent: Certainly, BAxxx to Manchester, <tap tap tap>
Printer: Whirr spit
Agent: Do you have your passport with you?
Me: No, I'm off to Manchester
Agent: Yes, but can I see your passport please?
Me: I'm on a UK domestic flight, so no
Agent: I know, but I need to see your passport
Me: But Manchester is part of the UK, so I don't need a passport
Agent: I'm aware that Manchester is in England, but something has changed and I still need your passport

The agent went off an conferred with someone else, then came back and said she really needed some ID, even though I wasn't checking a bag, and even though she had my BAEC card. Since I figured they're very frazzled from the weekend's IT mess, I decided to just offer up my driving license and not fight it, which worked and resulted in me being handed the boarding pass for today + tomorrow's return, and wished a pleasant flight.

Have the rules changed for domestic flights though, or was the agent just confused after a doubtless hellish last two days in Heathrow?
Have travelled domestic to Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow and Newcastle. All just simple trips not part of bigger journeys. All of them not checked in online and had luggage to check in and every time just shown BA Bronze/Silver card and that's it.

Never ever had to show ID. Good job too as I never take my passport or driving license. Why would I ?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by hungry
Have travelled domestic to Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow and Newcastle. All just simple trips not part of bigger journeys. All of them not checked in online and had luggage to check in and every time just shown BA Bronze/Silver card and that's it.

Never ever had to show ID. Good job too as I never take my passport or driving license. Why would I ?
When travelling to EDI or GLA have only been asked for ID so show my BA Amex card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.