Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 6:27 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by navylad
really adds very little inconvenience to a pax except if they wish to make a fuss (which I don't understand why anyone would).
Unless you don't have a passport or driving licence, either permanently or temporarily. Should I have been effectively banned from flying domestically while my passport was with the Russian embassy?

Last edited by dsf; May 30, 2017 at 6:28 am Reason: don't use entirely wrong words.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dsf
Unless you don't have a passport or driving licence, either permanently or temporarily. Should I have been effectively banned from flying domestically while my passport was with the Russian embassy?
You have no other form of ID other than your passport?? What we don't know is how BA would react if you told them that, this may just trigger some additional checks. It certainly shouldn't ban you from travel, but lets not make any assumptions here.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:32 am
dsf

You have no other form of ID other than your passport?? What we don't know is how BA would react if you told them that, this may just trigger some additional checks. It certainly shouldn't ban you from travel, but lets not make any assumptions here.
Nope. Never learnt to drive (neither have my blind friends), and I've none of the others on the official list either https://www.gov.uk/government/public...or-individuals
Old May 30, 2017, 6:34 am

Those of us that travel domestically on airlines other than BA (flybe for example) are used to showing photo ID on such flights. They do it as revenue protection to ensure that the person using the (likely non transferrable) ticket is the person who bought it. Of course, we all know that in reality you don't have to have a passport or ID to fly domestically, same as if you got on a bus or train.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think that wording is there because the police do have powers to require you to produce ID when at an airport, and this includes on domestic flights (I think this is under Terrorism Act 2000).

This rarely happens though, and you are right that there is no blanket requirement to show ID when travelling on a domestic flight. I have traveled many times on BA domestic flights with carry on bags only and not needed to show any ID.
I don't remember seeing any requirement in the Act other than at the NI border.

ETA: Just had a quick review and you are correct in relation to the Terrorist Act 2000 but only when leaving or entering the UK.

Last edited by strichener; May 30, 2017 at 6:43 am Reason: Reviewed
Old May 30, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dsf
Nope. Never learnt to drive (neither have my blind friends), and I've none of the others on the official list either https://www.gov.uk/government/public...or-individuals
Whilst that is for money laundering, you really don't have or could easily obtain (as per the list you published) your birth certificate? a Utilitiy Bill? A Bank statement? A Mortgauge statement? Confirmation of registration at a GP surgery? really??
Old May 30, 2017, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You don't have or could easily obtain (as per the list you published) your birth certificate? a Utilitiy Bill? A Bank statement? A Mortgauge statement? Confirmation of registration at a GP surgery? really??
Sorry, why are you now suggesting dsf should be carrying any of these things? We do not require ID to travel in the UK.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:49 am
dsf

You don't have or could easily obtain (as per the list you published) your birth certificate? a Utilitiy Bill? A Bank statement? A Mortgauge statement? Confirmation of registration at a GP surgery? really??
The way I read it those (birth certificate notwithstanding) are proof of address, not proof of name/ID. Perhaps I'm wrong. Besides, none of them have my photo on.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Technically there is not such thing as Photo ID in the UK

A passport is a travel document on an ID documents
A driving license is a documents giving the holder permission to operate certain types of motor vehicle.

There is actually no ID document in the UK there things which may be used to establish your identity.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:51 am

Sorry, why are you now suggesting dsf should be carrying any of these things? We do not require ID to travel in the UK.
I'm suggesting, since all domestic airlines state that you should carry ID with you and dsf has said that he doesn't have a driving license or currently access to a passport, that he may wish to carry some of the other things on the list that he produced from the government website to assist should he be asked to confirm his ID. I am not saying he legally has to carry these documents, just what I would do if I was in his situation and not out for a lengthy chat with the police; I'd much rather be in the lounge and make my flight.

Originally Posted by dsf
The way I read it those (birth certificate notwithstanding) are proof of address, not proof of name/ID. Perhaps I'm wrong. Besides, none of them have my photo on.
Correct, but the list was for money laundering not for travel, I'd suggest that, by the letter of BA's website policy, you could be refused travel by BA for not having the correct documents (this isn't a new requirement and as others have pointed out likely has origins in revenue protection rather than security albeit a decision here chronically may be related), carrying some other forms to help establish your identity may help should you be asked for it.

It also isn't just the Terrorism Act that police can ask you to confirm your identity, see the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act. For example, a S60 CJPOA 1994 could be applied to airports and then reasonable suspicion would not be required as used for the Notting Hill Carnival.

Last edited by navylad; May 30, 2017 at 7:03 am
Old May 30, 2017, 6:58 am

I was detained under the Terrorism Act when I couldn't produce my passport at LBA. The officer didn't believe me when I said I didn't need one. After a quick search and some background checks (and some words of advice from me) I was allowed to continue on my way. I still don't carry my passport on Domestic flights.

Palmer
Old May 30, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
That's the most frightening post yet! Plod really does attract the pond life in too many occasions.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
It's not misleading, it says you need some form or ID, which may be your BAEC card to check in, but on the same page it says to ensure you carry the appropriate passport or visa, which links to the page that was linked on this thread a few post prior which states that you should carry photo ID on domestic flights which can be asked for.
Originally Posted by strichener
When did we suddenly become Iran? There is no requirement on UK citizens to carry identification when travelling in-country.
[Not singling out these two posts or posters, but using them as examples]

Looks like I'll need to add another binary divider of types of people':
- those who worry that they are carrying too much cash vs those who worry they are carrying too little (hat tip to Ian Banks)
- those who worry that they will have too little time at the airport, vs those who worry that they will have too much
and now
- those who worry that we don't have enough 'security' vs those who are deeply concerned that we already have far too much...

Can you tell which why I lean on the last one?
Old May 30, 2017, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm suggesting, since all domestic airlines state that you should carry ID with you and dsf has said that he doesn't have a driving license or currently access to a passport, that he may wish to carry some of the other things on the list that he produced from the government website to assist should he be asked to confirm his ID. I am not saying he legally has to carry these documents, just what I would do if I was in his situation and not out for a lengthy chat with the police; I'd much rather be in the lounge and make my flight.
We don't need to carry ID in the UK. I fail to see why we should just in case and act as if we do need to carry ID.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:11 am

We don't need to carry ID in the UK. I fail to see why we should just in case and act as if we do need to carry ID.
Whilst you may not need to legally, you are required to do so by BA as published on their website. I fail to see why you wouldn't? Why would you deliberately leave your ID at home when BA say you should bring it, failing to bring it may delay you and you may miss your flight? I just don't get it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.