Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Old May 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jday
They've always needed ID for domestic with me, usually I just use my driving license.
I've never had my ID checked on a domestic UK flight on BA.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I've just had a rather odd experience at T5 first class checkin, on my way to Manchester. I'm following CWS best practice, and travelling HBO, but I didn't have easy access to a printer so approached the desks to get my online checkin boarding pass printed. Handed over my BAEC card, and asked if they'd mind printing the boarding pass for me

Agent: Certainly, BAxxx to Manchester, <tap tap tap>
Printer: Whirr spit
Agent: Do you have your passport with you?
Me: No, I'm off to Manchester
Agent: Yes, but can I see your passport please?
Me: I'm on a UK domestic flight, so no
Agent: I know, but I need to see your passport
Me: But Manchester is part of the UK, so I don't need a passport
Agent: I'm aware that Manchester is in England, but something has changed and I still need your passport

The agent went off an conferred with someone else, then came back and said she really needed some ID, even though I wasn't checking a bag, and even though she had my BAEC card. Since I figured they're very frazzled from the weekend's IT mess, I decided to just offer up my driving license and not fight it, which worked and resulted in me being handed the boarding pass for today + tomorrow's return, and wished a pleasant flight.

Have the rules changed for domestic flights though, or was the agent just confused after a doubtless hellish last two days in Heathrow?
I'd be surprised you'd be allowed to fly without photo ID nowadays, with all the security issues, so that you can prove that you are who you say you are. The problem in the UK is that we don't have many robust forms of photo ID other than passport or driving licence.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC
I've never carried or had to show my passport (or any other photo id) when flying domestic, even when checking bags.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:04 am

Why? You are traveling in the Uk, both you and your bag will be screened.
Whilst that is true, and British Airways don't insist on the agent asking for ID, a polite request for ID is a belt and braces approach, and one which is to be reasonably expected given the heightened security alert. We all know that, despite the baggage and person passing through a security screen, it is not 100% safe.

Like it or not, Heathrow Airport and British Airways are massive targets which would be positively orgasmic to some terror organisations seeking to strike a blow at Britain so those agents who make some extra efforts to keep it secure while I'm on shift get a big thumbs up from me!

............and, no, an Exec Club card does not suffice. It may have been found together with the itinerary somewhere outside - who knows? The ID should have a photo.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always carry photo ID. I know it isn't always required, but occasionally it is. For me it isn't a point of principle, it's just my best chance to be prepared for all eventualities.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Exactly, whilst the current threat level is 'Severe' for International and Domestic Terrorism, given recent events, I'm not surprised they are asking for ID and you should be carrying it in any case even if historically they haven't been asking for it.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bealine
Whilst that is true, a polite request for ID is a belt and braces approach, and one which is to be reasonably expected given the heightened security alert. We all know that, despite the baggage and person passing through a security screen, it is not 100% safe.

Like it or not, Heathrow Airport and British Airways are massive targets which would be positively orgasmic to some terror organisations seeking to strike a blow at Britain so those agents who make some extra efforts to keep it secure while I'm on shift get a big thumbs up from me!

............and, no, an Exec Club card does not suffice. It may have been found together with the itinerary somewhere outside - who knows? The ID should have a photo.
Sorry, why does the BA agent seeing my ID do anything? Does the BA agent have a list of people not allowed to fly due to security issues? As far as I am aware there is no domestic no fly list in the UK unless you are now telling me there is? Why would the agent seeing ID reduce any risk? Also if this really were the case why are people who do not check in a bag not required to show any ID during any point in their trip when on a domestic flight?

I am well aware LHR is a potential target. I am also well aware the law does not require you to produce ID when travelling in the UK.

BA.com says explicitly that a BAEC card will suffice - see the quote posted by Tobias-UK up-thread.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
............and, no, an Exec Club card does not suffice.
If that is the current position, then ba.com needs to be updated so that it is not misleading.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It's not misleading, it says you need some form or ID, which may be your BAEC card to check in, but on the same page it says to ensure you carry the appropriate passport or visa, which links to the page that was linked on this thread a few post prior which states that you should carry photo ID on domestic flights which can be asked for.

Karfa, the threat is not solely related to aircraft explosions, it is also to do with other forms of terrorism, there have been examples of spot checks on coaches I believe too, and although I've not heard of any on trains, this is still possible. There isn't a UK no fly list, but there is still intelligence gathering, and ensuring people who are flying around the country, even domestically, are who they say they are seams a sensible precaution which really adds very little inconvenience to a pax except if they wish to make a fuss (which I don't understand why anyone would).
Old May 30, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by navylad
It's not misleading, it says you need some form or ID, which may be your BAEC card to check in, but on the same page it says to ensure you carry the appropriate passport or visa, which links to the page that was linked on this thread a few post prior which states that you should carry photo ID on domestic flights which can be asked for.
When did we suddenly become Iran? There is no requirement on UK citizens to carry identification when travelling in-country.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Whilst that is true, and British Airways don't insist on the agent asking for ID, a polite request for ID is a belt and braces approach, and one which is to be reasonably expected given the heightened security alert. We all know that, despite the baggage and person passing through a security screen, it is not 100% safe.

Bags and bodies get screened in any event, so I'm not sure what difference photo ID makes.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by strichener
When did we suddenly become Iran? There is no requirement on UK citizens to carry identification when travelling in-country.
This is not new rules, these have been the rules for years! And it is interesting that you would choose Iran, what about Belgium, Germany or the Netherlands?

Originally Posted by bafan
Bags and bodies get screened in any event, so I'm not sure what difference photo ID makes.
Surely you would like the intelligence service to gather intelligence prior to explosives arriving at an airport? Criminals and terrorists using false details to travel quickly around the country, to evade surveillance is not in any law abiding citizens interests; we don't know if this particular case was as a result of particular intelligence or just randomly or perhaps it was just someone at BA who has made the decision in support of the current threat level without the involvement of the police or intelligence services; either way, I really don't get why people would be annoyed by it- perhaps it is because as a Serviceman I carry ID with me at all times in any case.

Last edited by navylad; May 30, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old May 30, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by jday
They've always needed ID for domestic with me, usually I just use my driving license.
I've never been asked for ID on a UK Domestic, ever, in 25 years of travelling on hundreds of flights.

Old May 30, 2017, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strichener
I think that wording is there because the police do have powers to require you to produce ID when at an airport, and this includes on domestic flights (I think this is under Terrorism Act 2000).

This rarely happens though, and you are right that there is no blanket requirement to show ID when travelling on a domestic flight. I have traveled many times on BA domestic flights with carry on bags only and not needed to show any ID.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by navylad
This is not new rules, these have been the rules for years! And it is interesting that you would choose Iran, what about Belgium, Germany or the Netherlands?
You are correct, these are not new rules as they aren't rules. There is no law requiring you to identify yourself when travelling within the UK.

I am not sure why you would see comparisons to Iran as bothersome but out of your alternative three, only Belgium has any compulsion to carry identification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.