FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR haircut (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1845076-lhr-haircut.html)

PeacefulWaters May 29, 2017 3:07 am

LHR haircut

PW Jr joins me on my once in a lifetime first class flight to Boston next week.

I've already booked us a complementary massage at Elemis.

He's just asked, randomly, do they provide a free haircut too?

mikeyfly May 29, 2017 3:08 am

Nope! You would get a short back 'n' sides in the Virgin Clubhouse at T3 but not in the spa at T5

The _Banking_Scot May 29, 2017 3:09 am

Hi,

No haircuts I'm afraid.

Regards

TBS

Genius1 May 29, 2017 3:09 am

There is a hairdressers landside in arrivals at T5 (the same chain as the one in the Sofitel).

PeacefulWaters May 29, 2017 3:20 am

Thanks. I might seek out a New England barbershop experience for him!

rapidex May 29, 2017 3:22 am

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters (Post 28373117)
Thanks. I might seek out a New England barbershop experience for him!

Can he sing?

PeacefulWaters May 29, 2017 3:37 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 28373122)
Can he sing?

Badly.

squawk May 29, 2017 3:45 am

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters (Post 28373154)
Badly.

:D Ouch!

I hope you both enjoy your trip. I've never been to Boston, but a close friend and their significant other may soon be relocating there, so I now have an invitation.

In terms of facilities at T5, one thing which did surprise me was the absence of a post office - or even a post box (I suspect there is the latter but I've not noticed one). In T3 there is a small post office opposite the entrance to fast track security.

corporate-wage-slave May 29, 2017 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 28373090)
There is a hairdressers landside in arrivals at T5 (the same chain as the one in the Sofitel).

Indeed there is, roughly at the half way point between North and South. It's Bradley Smith, and he has a website here:

http://bradleysmithhair.com/

price list for T5
http://bradleysmithhair.com/wp-conte...3/Heathrow.png

I keep meaning to give it a go, when I'm on a lot of flight rotations getting a haircut is a bit of an issue for me, and it's a lot easier at German airports, where even small airports like Bremen have barbers, albeit at a price. In the past I've taking Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway or a bus to Feltham between flights.

[One huge advantage of living in the North East, haircuts come at £6, with a quid off for farmers!]

apollo00 May 29, 2017 4:00 am

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 28373174)
In terms of facilities at T5, one thing which did surprise me was the absence of a post office - or even a post box (I suspect there is the latter but I've not noticed one). In T3 there is a small post office opposite the entrance to fast track security.

Heathrow say there are postboxes before and after security at each terminal but I've never found them personally (ok, I've never looked very hard either). If you want a post office, you're going to T3 unfortunately (the only one at any Heathrow terminal).

I don't need them very often but when I do, I'm usually in a position of absolutely having to post something before I fly, which I suspect is fairly common among business travellers. It's not ideal but probably realistically in line with the demand for such...

rapidex May 29, 2017 4:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28373218)
Indeed there is, roughly at the half way point between North and South. It's Bradley Smith, and he has a website here:

http://bradleysmithhair.com/

price list for T5
http://bradleysmithhair.com/wp-conte...3/Heathrow.png

I keep meaning to give it a go, when I'm on a lot of flight rotations getting a haircut is a bit of an issue for me, and it's a lot easier at German airports, where even small airports like Bremen have barbers, albeit at a price. In the past I've taking Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway or a bus to Feltham between flights.

[One huge advantage of living in the North East, haircuts come at £6, with a quid off for farmers!]

Try Pontrfract.£4 including beard trim

corporate-wage-slave May 29, 2017 4:06 am

There are Royal Mail boxes all over T5. The one airside is on the lower departure level nearish Louis Vuitton (follow the red sign for HM Customs). Landside there are two boxes each side of Zone E, so to the left of South Security and to the right of North Security Main Entrance. For obvious security reasons the aperture is only a few millimetres wide, OK for letters but not for packages.

T3 Post Office is no longer run by the Royal Mail, but it is open on Sunday mornings as well as the rest of the week. It can be used for packages, Amazon pickups and for banking facilities. There are some post offices in the vicinity of Heathrow which are open 7 day a week and extended hours, essentially they are inside Co-Op stores. Note that the Left Baggage stores at LHR, LGW and Paddington (the people who store luggage at the airport) have some relationship with courier companies such that you can send packages and parcels using DHL and other operators. Not cheap but certainly convenient.

dakaix May 29, 2017 4:07 am

Originally Posted by apollo00 (Post 28373225)
Heathrow say there are postboxes before and after security at each terminal but I've never found them personally (on, I've never looked very hard either). If you want a post office, you're going to T3 unfortunately (the only one at any Heathrow terminal).

In T2 Departures the postbox is on the upper level opposite Giraffe and WHSmith at the far left hand side as you exit Security.

In T3 your options are the post office (if it's open), or otherwise immediately after Security - before the duty free.

The post box in T5 Departures is adjacent to the large Travelex desk, just before Fortnum & Mason and Galleries South. Theres also one behind the checkin desks but I cannot for the life of me remember where!

KARFA May 29, 2017 4:11 am

Originally Posted by dakaix (Post 28373239)
In T2 Departures the postbox is on the upper level opposite Giraffe and WHSmith at the far left hand side as you exit Security.

In T3 your options are the post office (if it's open), or otherwise immediately after Security - before the duty free.

The post box in T5 Departures is adjacent to the large Travelex desk, just before Fortnum & Mason and Galleries South. Theres also one behind the checkin desks but I cannot for the life of me remember where!

I walked past the one in the check in area in T5 the other day. It is up against the wall which runs across behind the desks. I think there is one near the traveled run VAT refund desks.

apollo00 May 29, 2017 4:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28373237)
There are Royal Mail boxes all over T5. The one airside is on the lower departure level nearish Louis Vuitton (follow the red sign for HM Customs). Landside there are two boxes each side of Zone E, so to the left of South Security and to the right of North Security Main Entrance. For obvious security reasons the aperture is only a few millimetres wide, OK for letters but not for packages.

T3 Post Office is no longer run by the Royal Mail, but it is open on Sunday mornings as well as the rest of the week. It can be used for packages, Amazon pickups and for banking facilities. There are some post offices in the vicinity of Heathrow which are open 7 day a week and extended hours, essentially they are inside Co-Op stores. Note that the Left Baggage stores at LHR, LGW and Paddington (the people who store luggage at the airport) have some relationship with courier companies such that you can send packages and parcels using DHL and other operators. Not cheap but certainly convenient.

That's helpful info, many thanks, I did not know about the Left Baggage people being able to DHL stuff, that's a far more convenient bet than a trip to T3 to post things...