Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Roger
Oh, I try but have concerns about who gets to use my info.

See? I'm lost already.
1. I have numerous user-names and passwords. I am also cautious about revealing too much 'out there'.

2. On Twitter, follow british_airways and then Tweet asking them to DM you. It worked for me, albeit in the opposite direction. They will seek authentication, including full name, BAEC number, postal and email address, and if relevant Booking Reference ... which seems fair and reasonable to me.

EDIT = Please stop calling me "Uncle T". I searched Google to see if I featured under that pseudomym, and discovered http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Uncle%20T

Last edited by T8191; May 31, 2017 at 8:23 am
Old May 31, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
Right, let's get this cleared up once and for all
Sorry I did know that, I was just making a joke. :-)
Old May 31, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Calchas
Sorry I did know that, I was just making a joke. :-)
Ha! In that case, I apologise for going on at length. (I guess there's no doubt as to where I stand now though, eh? )
Old May 31, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is only the tip of the iceberg and much worse and widespread that you can imagine. Forget about the IT disaster. Instead focus on the fact that cost cutting has meant:

1) Less than perhaps 40 staff at all of LHR who are able to do simple things like calculate load waits, manually put together flight manifests or seemingly make decisions (because they have gotten rid of almost everyone seemingly older than 35 (let alone 55) in any sort of management position that had the slightest clue as to how to do such things and literally 99% of staff have no clue and literally froze. There were less than 20 people on call at all of LHR and LGW who had the sllightest clue how to deal with such situations, which might be good when a flight or two goes bad, but................

While almost every foreign station keeps a good supply of boarding pass stock and boarding stickers, just for this sort of thing, would you believe, and I have it on good authority that there were hardly any at T5, and these have NOT BEEN REORDERED as a COST SAVINGS ISSUE??!!!
Old May 31, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by hfly
but................

While almost every foreign station keeps a good supply of boarding pass stock and boarding stickers, just for this sort of thing, would you believe, and I have it on good authority that there were hardly any at T5, and these have NOT BEEN REORDERED as a COST SAVINGS ISSUE??!!!
That sounds perfectly credible with today's BA.

I can hear the call now ...
"Global Airline to Manual and Cross-Check".
"Sorry, Captain, we don't have any form of manual reversion."
Old May 31, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
From my perspective there are two questions to answer - who is accountable and who is ultimately responsible. For the former I gues sone has the CIO and VP Customer Service. After all it was an IT failure compounded by an awful customer service engagement that made the headlines. Ultimately, Cruz is responsible for providing leadership and focus. If it is proves that the probelms are directly attributable to cost cutting driving inappropriate IT outsourcing and leaving inexperinced staff on the fornt line then he will alos need to go.

In any event, he will probably have to go as the damage to the brand, BA value to IAG and staff morale on his watch looks pretty terminal. My guessis that since he is WW protegee he will be moved to an IAG corporate role in Spain and then quietly dissappear
Old May 31, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Wee Willie gave him the dreaded vote of confidence earlier, saying he still has full confidence in him.

In football terms this would mean a P45 within a week.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh

The trials and tribulations of BA over the last 12 months have convinced me to look into alternative offerings and, consequently, I've enjoyed my trips on SK and LH ex-BHX but, if BA ex-LHR suits me more in terms of timing and/or price, I will continue to book with BA. Indeed, I'm looking forward to my Amex 2-4-1 to JFK next week and a BA Hols booking to LIS in November.
Ahh BA; substandard hard product, substandard soft product and can't even run an IT system.

I still have to fly BA short haul twice a week, most weeks, as there is no choice living near Heathrow and flying domestic. I haven't flown BA long haul for a long time and I think it would be great if I never have to fly them again. The thought of actually buying a ticket on BA when there is a choice just makes me LOL! I even dumped my Amex and the 2-4-1, because I'd rather use more FF points to fly on other airlines than get a free (or rather cheap) seat with BA!

I formed this opinion about BA well before the IT outage. Seeing them actively try to penny pinch, avoid paying any passengers anything and seeing them actively waste passengers time rather than rebook them just makes me dislike BA even more. The best thing about this incident is now the general public is fully aware where they stand if anything goes wrong.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:55 am

At some point 'wee willie' will save himself and sacrifice AC if brand perceptions and value do not recover. In any event, my guess for timing is that AC will be gone by the end of the financial year after oveseeing the post mortem and consequent restructuring, re-positioning, re-focusing of the PR, IT and customer service leadership...
Old May 31, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bluebrummie2000
At some point 'wee willie' will save himself and sacrifice AC if brand perceptions and value do not recover. In any event, my guess for timing is that AC will be gone by the end of the financial year after oveseeing the post mortem and consequent restructuring, re-positioning, re-focusing of the PR, IT and customer service leadership...
What is really worrying is if it all does go to .... for BA who Willy get to take over from AC that is anybody's guess 🤔
Old May 31, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creampuff
as there is no choice living near Heathrow and flying domestic. I haven't flown BA long haul for a long time and I think it would be great if I never have to fly them again. The thought of actually buying a ticket on BA when there is a choice just makes me LOL!
Where are you going? FlyBe now goes to ABZ and EDI from LHR
Old May 31, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
The Telegraph article to me doesn't make sense, surely two data centres have independent copies of the data?
Internal whisper is that the Cranebank server centre data was three weeks out of date, which was only discovered when they tried to gracefully fall back

This prompted the rushed, botched, power restore at BoHo

There are questions that have yet to be answered - who powered off the UPS? How did that also take down the backup generator? Why was the Cranebank backup data not up to date? Why did no one notice? Who screwed up the BoHo restart?
Old May 31, 2017, 12:42 pm

To the point raised by Padmeister - from where will Willie find another, more acceptable puppet.... Alternatively, would anyone with the right level of premium global brand management experience want to work for Willie?
Old May 31, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by chrisboote
Internal whisper is that the Cranebank server centre data was three weeks out of date, which was only discovered when they tried to gracefully fall back

This prompted the rushed, botched, power restore at BoHo

There are questions that have yet to be answered - who powered off the UPS? How did that also take down the backup generator? Why was the Cranebank backup data not up to date? Why did no one notice? Who screwed up the BoHo restart?
Thanks for sharing, CB. I know we have to treat what you posted as an unconfirmed report, but this kind of scenario makes infinitely more sense to me, than the Telegraph's illogical version of events.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:12 pm

This will all be a moot point when Chairman Corbyn installs a People's Commissar to run BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.