Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Negligence (one's own) is basically the opposite of an extraordinary circumstance.
Indeed even the County Court isn't going to be confused by that one, a failure to ensure sufficient IT/Data Centre resilience is extraordinary, it is extraordinarily incompetent!
Old May 28, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Agree their corp comm failure might very well be down to cost cuts. BA were lucky this was "just" an IT meltdown, but what if there had been injuries or worse in the scrum yesterday? What about a possible fatal accident in the future? There are several airlines that can testify to the cost of mismanaging the fallout of tragedies with regards to both profits & share price.

I have the deepest sympathies for all affected travellers and staff who are trying to help out. Out of curiosity I've put notifications on BA flights to my home airport today. They managed to operate the morning departure to Heathrow but the second and now third departure has just been cancelled. Being a Scandinavian style long weekend here I fear there are lots of people who'll get an involuntary extension...
Old May 28, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Popcorn sales have gone up this weekend I'm sure!

Its been fascinating to hear and read the insights, speculations and well rumours too. It's incredible the FT knowledge.

I'm tempted to blow my own trumpet here and say that my only tweet and input to this was a suggestion to BA (Cruz) that he needs to address the passengers, oddly enough 2 hours later he appeared in his hi-viz! I can't say my suggestion was actioned but the timings are interesting!

The handling of the entire crisis, regardless of the 2 videos from Cruz, clearly was shockingly bad. If and when he gets dragged in front of WW and the other board members he will certainly not be sleeping well over the next few weeks and months.

I hope people are moving today and getting to their destinations at last.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Stez, perhaps the 'relative' simplicity of running Vueling was his limit? The complexity and scale of BA does seem to be a bit beyond his grasp.
Given the operations meltdown Vueling experienced last year, I'd suggest that airline was beyond him.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Not to worry. They'll have a flash "Boomerang" sale to Australia on Thursday for Ł527 in CW and we'll all completely forget about this
Has to be under Ł400, I wouldn't pay Ł527 for CW and the risks of being left in LHR for over 2 hours
Old May 28, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Avios
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ders-system-f/

The last line is poignant.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Calum
Has to be under Ł400, I wouldn't pay Ł527 for CW and the risks of being left in LHR for over 2 hours
If you paid Ł527 for CW and you were left in LHR for over 4 hours, it would be a free trip!
Old May 28, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you paid Ł527 for CW and you were left in LHR for over 4 hours, it would be a free trip!
ISTR we made a small profit from our EC261 on our 24-hour delayed 2-4-1 trip in CW to KIN. Didn't compensate for the loss of an expensive night's hotel and the loss of a day's holiday though. Insurance came nowhere near covering that loss!
Old May 28, 2017, 8:50 am

Ouch!

'"Inexperienced' BA boss who oversaw cost-cutting drive is blamed for IT meltdown which could cost Ł150m"

http://dailym.ai/2s9vHcS
Old May 28, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Ouch!

'"Inexperienced' BA boss who oversaw cost-cutting drive is blamed for IT meltdown which could cost Ł150m"
By the unions.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Ouch!

http://dailym.ai/2s9vHcS
Originally Posted by henkybaby
By the unions.
It's quite an achievement to get the Mail and the unions to agree on something. I'd call that a pretty broad consensus. Congrats, Alex.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
I'm absolutely done with British Airways.

I've flown with them for 30 years. I don't care about my civ, the card, the miles. I'm absolutely done. The farcical lack of customer service and the obvious fact IAG and BA do not give a toss for about customers. They have ruined a special week for me. I can forgive failures, things do go wrong. I can't forgive how they were handled and how I was spoken to yesterday by ground staff and BAs contact centre team.

There's in benefit in flying BA, perks are disappearing, service getting worse, reliability downhill.

You may consider this a flounce and I'm sure my tens of thousands of pounds a year are a drop in the ocean but they don't ever seem to learn or improve. They don't care.

Farewell BA.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I will certainly bet against IAG's stock price on Monday morning....
Old May 28, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by BAAZ
I don't agree at all. Of course everyone who can was working on fixing it. But that still leaves plenty of others who aren't. The communications team, for example, are hardly going to be able to contribute to finding and fixing the IT issues, but surely they should have been communicating more.

I know that in aviation the rule is Aviate - Navigate - Communicate, but this isn't only an aviation problem.
OK - let's be clear - the message relayed here was from BA's internal messaging system. This has NOTHING to do with any press or public communications.

He basically means there are four sets of people in BA right now:

1) Those fixing the problem directly
2) Those working and supporting the business out of the problem
3) Those sitting at home and not working on it
4) Those sitting on the messaging system discussing the issue (when they should either be working or sitting at home).

The point Alex is making is that if you're in category 4 - right now - you're not helping.

If, internally, the relevant policies haven't been made clear? Sure - let's get them clarified and that's something the communication team could help with.

If, internally, they haven't updated people on the status of the relevant systems - that's something that could be done.

But no one, except the team fixing it and their mgmt, needs to know the root cause today. And if anyone from another team starts asking about it - guess what - that's a distraction!

No one, except the teams rebooking customers and their mgmt, needs to know the intricate details of the policies for rebooking. And if anyone else is saying "why can't we do ..." that's a distraction.

And right now - I can't think of anything else you could be asking about the problem that is in the slightest bit relevant. Everyone seems to expect to know everything immediately these days thanks to Twitter etc. A staff member sitting at home or in a non-relevant job simply isn't entitled to know the intimate details of a problem while it's occurring. Power failure - we're rebooking - that's enough right now.

I used to work in a business that had a warehouse that was struggling to scale. Roughly once every 3-4 weeks on our peak day the WMS software would crash with a new scaling problem. It became pretty predictable - frustrating - but predictable.

On that day - head office got divided into 3 groups. Group 1 - fixing the problem (and that was a pretty small group). Group 2 - supporting the warehouse team to get product out the door. Group 3 - calling customers who needed contacting to apologise. That's it - there wasn't a "group 4" sitting around talking about it and there wasn't another group who was just doing their normal job - even CEO/CFO would be hands deep in the warehouse or phones. Everyone was either resolving the problem or digging the company out of it.

And once we got past it - the following day - a company meeting was held and everyone was informed about the problem and what's been done to prevent it. THEN everyone had a chance to discuss it ("Wouldn't it have been better if ..." type stuff).

Edit: And yes - the PR and communications teams need to have done a much better job with this. The mgmt and teams at the airports needed to do a much better job at getting people out etc etc etc. All of that will (hopefully) come out in the internal review they'll inevitably have to do.

M.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Ashamed

Originally Posted by gtomlinson
I'm absolutely done with British Airways.

I've flown with them for 30 years. I don't care about my civ, the card, the miles. I'm absolutely done. The farcical lack of customer service and the obvious fact IAG and BA do not give a toss for about customers. They have ruined a special week for me. I can forgive failures, things do go wrong. I can't forgive how they were handled and how I was spoken to yesterday by ground staff and BAs contact centre team.

There's in benefit in flying BA, perks are disappearing, service getting worse, reliability downhill.

You may consider this a flounce and I'm sure my tens of thousands of pounds a year are a drop in the ocean but they don't ever seem to learn or improve. They don't care.

Farewell BA.
As a BA staff member I feel not just disappointment but also shame that you feel this way.

As a person and a long serving BA employee I fully understand and am infuriated that BA has dropped to this appalling level of service.
As one of my colleagues said to me there is only so many times you can kick a dog before you lose their loyalty. I fear BA have kicked to many times to warrant loyalty from anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.