Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dajdavies
This a great example of what BA should have said from Gene Kim (who's pretty well known in the DevOps world)

https://itrevolution.com/imaginary-a...r-airline-ceo/
So a long letter that vaguely apologises in the midst of lots of justification, fails to offer any compensation still less any pro-active service recovery and then asks the customer to provide time (for free) to help him do his job. Not sure I would have be delighted if this was sent to me.

Wouldn't be nice to have a letter that said, "We screwed up. We're sorry. Here's your money back. Here's the statutory compensation you are entitled to. Here's a few thousand Avios / flight voucher /whatever. Please give us another chance. love and Kisses AC or WW"

Just once?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Well indeed, could be a good marketing move if BA went to automatic EC261 compensation, perhaps saying only for those booking direct, seams to have worked well for Virgin Trains and I think people may then book direct if there was not much difference in price which is often the case.
True, off course it would cost money, however it might also retain or even create some goodwill.

As it is, this together with the rather clumsy attempt to divert 'duty of care' claims onto insurers just looks a bit feeble.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:00 am

This a great example of what BA should have said from Gene Kim (who's pretty well known in the DevOps world)

Now you see why Gene Kim is CEO of "Mythical Airlines". Living in a dreamland.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Now you see why Gene Kim is CEO of "Mythical Airlines". Living in a dreamland.
Urgh. I did not get past paragraph three.

Wonder if Gene also wrote the BA DC Ops manual? Not getting past paragraph three would be a problem....
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:33 pm

BA refuses compensation -for cancellation 27 May IT outage

Hi there,

I am one of may affected by the British Airways / BA cancellations on Sat 27 May. I was relocated to another flight two days later and I followed their procedure to submit my claim for cancellation compensation through their website.

Surprise, surprise… I got today the attached screenshot as an answer where they refuse my claim…

…I'd like to inform you that your claim’s been refused because BAXXXX on 27 May was cancelled because of operational circumstances outside of our control. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. I'm sorry to disappoint you…

I am really shocked with this and the rest of the attached email. Is this agent aware that British Airways have publicly described the issue as a "technical problem" and not a cyber attack, therefore the airline is responsible for compensation under EU regulation 261/2004? How come the rest of the thousands of passengers affected are getting their compensations?

Obviously this agent doesn´t seem to be of help, so I called BA support line for flight refunds but all the calls are terminated after a recorded message stating that their operators are busy, thus try later (same) or go to the website.

Please could you advise? Also, anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V4...ew?usp=sharing

Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Ba
Refused ec261

Originally Posted by dares
Hi there,

I am one of may affected by the British Airways / BA cancellations on Sat 27 May. I was relocated to another flight two days later and I followed their procedure to submit my claim for cancellation compensation through their website.

Surprise, surprise… I got today the attached screenshot as an answer where they refuse my claim…

…I'd like to inform you that your claim’s been refused because BAXXXX on 27 May was cancelled because of operational circumstances outside of our control. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. I'm sorry to disappoint you…

I am really shocked with this and the rest of the attached email. Is this agent aware that British Airways have publicly described the issue as a "technical problem" and not a cyber attack, therefore the airline is responsible for compensation under EU regulation 261/2004? How come the rest of the thousands of passengers affected are getting their compensations?

Obviously this agent doesn´t seem to be of help, so I called BA support line for flight refunds but all the calls are terminated after a recorded message stating that their operators are busy, thus try later (same) or go to the website.

Please could you advise? Also, anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V4...ew?usp=sharing

hi
suggest you post again on the compensation thread. Lots of people have posted to say that they are being paid.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sofa
hi
suggest you post again on the compensation thread. Lots of people have posted to say that they are being paid.
Thanks @Sofa
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:31 pm

That letter is pretty awful. That guy needs an editor and he would probably hate that editor because they'd get rid of about 80% of that letter.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40285288

WW now saying it will cost BA £80 million and was caused by someone pulling a plug and sticking it back in again.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I would imagine the £80m figure has a measure of accuracy about it - if only because exact numbers will eventually show up in the accounts, and WW would find himself with (yet more) explaining to do if he is later deemed to have misled shareholders and the City by underestimating the cost to any significant extent.

As to how the whole sorry mess actually came about ..... hmm... that's a whole different matter of course. I'm really not sure how many people (if indeed any ...?) actually swallow his waffle about the power being accidentally turned off ....likening it to someone inadvertently knocking their freezer switch whilst giving the kitchen / utility room a spring-clean.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40285288

WW now saying it will cost BA £80 million and was caused by someone pulling a plug and sticking it back in again.

Which seems to suggest they don't expect to pay full compensation.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pensation.html

Seems DM still has it in for BA
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It is a monumental PR disaster for what was once considered the nation’s favourite airline, whose parent company, United Airline Group, made a record £144 million profit in the last quarter.
Que?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by AAtticus
It is a monumental PR disaster for what was once considered the nation’s favourite airline, whose parent company, United Airline Group, made a record £144 million profit in the last quarter.
Que?
That's quite accurate for the Daily Fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.