Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • Ł25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I've tried to refresh the info in the Wiki so it's focused on what people need to do this morning.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA twitter saying they will definitely not reimburse anyone who made alternate travel arrangements but will refund unused outbounds and protect the returns.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, I managed to check the family in for tomorrow's 07:10 flight to HAM. I will keep an eye on things, but I am wondering if we should get to the airport earlier than I originally planned I was not expecting to be there until 05:30 at least the taxi driver should drop off us then.

H
Old May 28, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyg901
@smuDC-10 Curious - everything I've checked shows it as operating and has an allocated aircraft and it's nearly sold out both ways, so I'm sure they'd be loathed to cancel it.

With it being a later departure from Heathrow I'd have thought they'd have no problem crewing it with a crew stood-down yesterday evening as well.

I'd be tempted to sit on it for a little while - maybe one of the staffers here can have a look in an internal system?

This is an option that is showing 9 F seats currently - you'd be in economy on the connection though

Code:
1 Connection
AA 544        0      PHX                DFW                321       Daily           J0 D0 I0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S0 N0 Q7 O0 E7 
                     05/28/17 12:20 PM  05/28/17 4:43 PM             81% / 22m
BA 192        0      DFW                LHR                744       Su,M            F9 A7 J6 C1 D1 R0 I0 W6 E0 T0 Y9 B2 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9 
                     05/28/17 6:25 PM   05/29/17 9:20 AM             61% / 22m
Thank you sammyg901. I appreciate your insight and that back up option.

I was able to get thru to You First and they told me that 289 and 288 are still planned to operate on the 28th so that is a relief as of now. I am not sure where American got their info from but it contradicted what I was just told by BA. The strange thing was, when I pulled up MMB, it showed us as booked on 288 today the 28th and on 290 Monday the 29th. The You First agent said that American must have booked a backup for us on Monday but that BA would need to cancel the backup since it does show our original flights operating. Still cautiously optimistic now. I am going to go back to bed and hope that I don't get another call from AA or BA. Good night and thank you again for our help. Wishing everyone else caught up in this rat race good luck as well.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoch
Well, I managed to check the family in for tomorrow's 07:10 flight to HAM. I will keep an eye on things, but I am wondering if we should get to the airport earlier than I originally planned I was not expecting to be there until 05:30 at least the taxi driver should drop off us then.

H
Well as check in/lounges/security doesn't really open until 0500 or a few minutes before there isn't that much scope for you to get there much earlier anyway.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:55 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What's the bag cutoff time for a flight to the usa? I might stay landside till the very last minute.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
I called the UAE direct dial number (I'm a resident of Dubai). Answered on the first ring, super efficient lady re-booked me to continue on Monday to Frankfurt. Now for the checked bags....
I was going to give them a call to help me get back to AUH but it's only the 8000 number which I can't dial from London. Could you see if they have another international dial in code for me?.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Dubh
I was going to give them a call to help me get back to AUH but it's only the 8000 number which I can't dial from London. Could you see if they have another international dial in code for me?.
You may be able to call this using Skype (obviously set the country prefix to UAE)
Old May 28, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
What's the bag cutoff time for a flight to the usa? I might stay landside till the very last minute.
I suspect check in queues may be longer than normal today so I wouldn't do that.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I suspect check in queues may be longer than normal today so I wouldn't do that.
Even first wing?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:04 am

Even first wing?
Queues out the door yesterday.I would agree with KARFA.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:06 am

Even first wing?
Even first wing, although at least you get to queue with a better class of passenger
Old May 28, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Even first wing, although at least you get to queue with a better class of passenger
I'll flash my ggl and start yelling dykwia!

Just cleared passport control. Took under 5min.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dubh

Its from the BA website... +97126118600
Old May 28, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Thank you sammyg901. I appreciate your insight and that back up option.

I was able to get thru to You First and they told me that 289 and 288 are still planned to operate on the 28th so that is a relief as of now. I am not sure where American got their info from but it contradicted what I was just told by BA. The strange thing was, when I pulled up MMB, it showed us as booked on 288 today the 28th and on 290 Monday the 29th. The You First agent said that American must have booked a backup for us on Monday but that BA would need to cancel the backup since it does show our original flights operating. Still cautiously optimistic now. I am going to go back to bed and hope that I don't get another call from AA or BA. Good night and thank you again for our help. Wishing everyone else caught up in this rat race good luck as well.
Download "app in the air" - you get a free trial and it'll immediately alert you to any changes in status. I hope you get away without any drama and have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.